Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to connect to VM web-server over existing web-server?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 chuck4100

chuck4100

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 AM

Posted 29 September 2015 - 01:12 AM

Howdy Y'all,

I am a learning server noob and not really sure where to even start with figuring this out.
I am confident that this shouldn't be a difficult thing but....ya.

I run a personal server with windows 2012 R2, using wamp 2.5 for deployment ease, setup and fully accessible remotely.
I use freedns to my ip and my router forwards webserver ports to my servers LAN IP.

I setup Owncloud on an Ubuntu VM by Bitnami with VBox and setup with a bridged network settings and it has its own LAN IP and I have no idea how to make this VM webserver accessible without interfering with the existing physical webserver.

Thanks for any help and sorry if my wording is not clear.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 AM

Posted 03 October 2015 - 11:44 AM

Well For starters you're using a dynamic ip provided by your ISP and using freedns which complicates things. Some ISP's block ports 53, 80 to run servers. It's ideal to lease static IP's to run servers from your ISP. Second problem you're trying to run two different web server platforms on that one dynamic IP. You can host a website with a dynamic IP, but you need to pick and choose which to use WIndows 2012 DNS and WEB roles, or Linux with apache. Either one of those then can be setup to do multiple shared web hosting by changing the binding of the main website from http to hostname and IP. Then you can have multiple domain or sub domains. A VM ubuntu server can be setup to do shared web hosting as well once apache is installed. This is such an in depth subject that I would suggest looking up tutorials and watching some youtube channels to get a grasp on how to do this. The information is out there if you know the keywords. Shared Web Hosting and multiple websites with one IP. Google is your friend. Goodluck!

Edited by technonymous, 03 October 2015 - 11:47 AM.

#3 chuck4100

chuck4100
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 AM

Posted 03 October 2015 - 01:33 PM

Thank you!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users