Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Findindg Legitimate Seria Numbers

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Kristopher

Kristopher

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 PM

Posted 18 July 2006 - 10:19 AM

My friend's laptop died and he is going through the horrors of a total reformat and warned me I should be getting my recovery plan inline BEFORE it happens. I use my computer a lot and am not a novice but have always put this off because "it will never happen to me." But now I think I need to get off my but and do it. I can find a lot of my serial numbers on the cases but some of the older software (especially the software that I bought as a download) is getting difficult to find the serial numbers. Is there somewhere I can go into my computer's hard drive and find them. Or is it more complicated like in the Registry. Or is it even possible at all. Again, this is not someone looking for illegal key cracks. I buy my software (I even download my music legally) and am not looking for cheats. Just looking for a way to recover my legaly purchased serial numbers so I can document them (on paper) and have them ready in case the worst happens in the future.

Also, I know that going their website and getting them is an option but I shamefully admit that I did not register all my software in my rookie years. Just dumb old procrastonation, dumb move, but not the first or last. Any pointers would be appreciated and if are withholding the solution because you think I am trying to cheat for illegal codes just let me know how I can prove that it was legal and I will. I state again, I am not looking to steal!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 PM

Posted 18 July 2006 - 11:08 AM

Belarc Advisor will list the programs and their corresponding serial numbers.

The Belarc Advisor builds a detailed profile of your installed software and hardware, missing Microsoft hotfixes, anti-virus status, CIS (Center for Internet Security) benchmarks, and displays the results in your Web browser. All of your PC profile information is kept private on your PC and is not sent to any web server.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Kristopher

Kristopher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 PM

Posted 18 July 2006 - 01:13 PM

I will go research it now thanks. I did find some more looking in the software folder in the Registry.

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 PM

Posted 18 July 2006 - 01:48 PM

You're welcome. :
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users