Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

High CPU usage from explorer.exe

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 TylerAdkins03

TylerAdkins03

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 PM

Posted 28 September 2015 - 10:23 PM

Hi! I just recently built my new PC and it worked great for some time. But recently, It has been having issues with windows explorer, or explorer.exe using up to 30% of my 4690K CPU. It does this at idle but goes away when I reset. 

After I reset the PC the issue goes away for about half an hour and then it starts up again. I have looked all over and I cannot find the fix anywhere so.... I need help! 

I tried disabling startup apps and that changed nothing. I don't understand. Should I take the computer somewhere to be repaired? Or is this an issue I can handle on my own? 

If anyone could help I really need it! Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 PM

Posted 30 September 2015 - 04:06 PM

Start by checking Task Manger...Process' tab

And the Resource Monitor (Performance tab...link is at the bottom of that page).

Try an xperf trace - but it's something new now (WPA) and I'm not real familiar with it.

Here's a link:  https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/dn495354%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

If you generate traces I'll be happy to look at them - I think I'm fairly good at reading them.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 TylerAdkins03

TylerAdkins03
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2015 - 05:17 PM

Will this program work even if i'm running windows 10? It says it's for windows 8.1 and other previous versions.

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2015 - 04:48 AM

This page gives some suggestions on how to use it: https://software.intel.com/en-us/blogs/2012/09/06/using-windows-performance-toolkit-in-analyzing-application-power-consumption

Please understand that the above page is for power usage, so you'll use different settings.

I'd first suggest using the first level triage for the first trace

And then to use the Resource Analysis for the second trace (checking everything except for the power usage).

FYI - it appears to be running in my copy of W10 (for about 2 minutes now) and it is a W8 version that I've installed.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2015 - 04:59 AM

It seems that it may not tell you when it's done.

Just click on Save after running it for a while.

I ran it for 10½ minutes - and saving the scan is taking a long time.

The trace is about 740 mB in size

#6 TylerAdkins03

TylerAdkins03
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2015 - 05:32 PM

Is there any way to send these traces? It won't allow me to post this type of file to this site.

#7 LundUK

LundUK

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 AM

Posted 02 October 2015 - 07:31 AM

I had exactly this problem.  It turned out that this disk activity was due to Windows 10 indexing my entire file system, including the contents of documents, etc.  The process didn't start immediately after I installed Windows 10, but it started shortly after and then carried on for a few days. The process starts and stops as you reboot.  It is sometimes difficult to grab control of the PC from the process while it is very active.  The length of time it goes on depends on how many files you have, obviously, but it can take days.  Once initial indexing was completed, the problem stopped.  Windows 10 has been great during the one month since indexing finished.

Edited by LundUK, 02 October 2015 - 07:34 AM.

#8 TylerAdkins03

TylerAdkins03
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2015 - 09:05 PM

Yes, but I'm having issues with high CPU and memory usage. My disk usage seems to be normal though.

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2015 - 05:19 AM

The first step is to zip up the file - BC doesn't allow uploading of some file types, but it does allow zipped files.
BUT, that having been said, there's also a file size limit - and the traces typically exceed these limits by a large factor.

Instead, zip up the files and upload them to a free file-hosting service (such as OneDrive or DropBox), ensure that they are shared, then post a link to them here.

#10 TylerAdkins03

TylerAdkins03
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2015 - 01:00 AM

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=A2F55EDA972DC5EB!507&authkey=!ANAw-QliqC_c3Po&ithint=file%2crar

If I need to do other traces or you are unable to view these please let me know!

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2015 - 04:58 AM

The trace causes my copy of the Windows Performance Analyzer to crash each time I try to open it.

Try to open it on your system and see what happens.

I'd suggest another trace just to be sure that this one wasn't an isolated problem.

#12 TylerAdkins03

TylerAdkins03
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2015 - 12:34 AM

Would it be worth going as far as reinstalling windows?

#13 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2015 - 08:08 AM

Most likely a clean reinstallation of Windows will fix the problem.

It's up to you if it's worth it or not.  It's the nuclear option - wiping everything out in order to fix this one problem.
That being said, it's likely to be quicker than trying to isolate the problem.

#14 TylerAdkins03

TylerAdkins03
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2015 - 11:54 PM

With this PC being a brand new build would it be best? Or should I still isolate it?

#15 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2015 - 06:00 PM

A fresh install of Windows would help.  Be sure to download a fresh copy (to help rule out problems with the first copy).
Only install the necessary things - don't add anything extra at this point.  You want to see if it's the installation - or if it's something that you added later on.

Make sure that you have ALL available Windows Updates - and use the builtin Windows Defender for your antivirus temporarily.

Check Device Manager to be sure all drivers are installed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users