Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 updates failing

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 warcat

warcat

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 PM

Posted 28 September 2015 - 07:35 PM

I am working on an Acer 5334-2598 for a friend. It's her kids' computer and she has been running several years without any kind of antivirus. I installed AVG Free, ran Malware Bytes on it, as well as Adware and autoruns. I've removed quite a bit of junk and viruses, but it will not install any updates to the OS from Microsoft. The computer is running Windows 7 Home Premium SP1. When I try to install updates, it gives me the unknown error code. Right now, everytime you turn off the computer, it tries to install 89 updates, which it never can do, because they always fail. Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 warcat

warcat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2015 - 07:51 PM

In case I wasn't clear, I did run a whole computer scan with AVG. It found nearly 300 trojans, viruses and other malware, and successfully removed or contained them. Malware Bytes found several more PUPs (they were removed) and Adware found some annoying popups (also removed). I saved logs from Malware Bytes and Adware.

#3 warcat

warcat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2015 - 08:17 PM

Checking the update history, it seems like there was trouble installing updates dating back to Jul. 12, 2014, especially with OS updates. I have to run some errands, so if I don't reply until tomorrow, please don't be upset.

Thanks again!

#4 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,972 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 PM

Posted 28 September 2015 - 09:23 PM

TRY THIS

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users