Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft Responds to Privacy Backlash

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 leithanne

leithanne

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 PM

Posted 28 September 2015 - 04:10 PM

CNN Money article

Blog

Microsoft's Statement

Finally. They should have cleared this up, months ago.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,562 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 AM

Posted 28 September 2015 - 04:40 PM

"We're not reading your email, but we have custody of your email," he said.

Microsoft you have NO RIGHT to have " custody " of my emails.

But privacy is also inherently confusing. Windows 10's privacy statement says Microsoft needs to have access to your emails so it can deliver them to you -

Since when? I use my ISP's email and yahoo mail, so why is Microsoft even involved in delivery of my mail.

#3 leithanne

leithanne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2015 - 04:58 PM

I think it's talking about Outlook.

#4 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,562 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 AM

Posted 28 September 2015 - 05:00 PM

I think it's talking about Outlook.

More reason not to use outlook then.

#5 leithanne

leithanne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2015 - 05:09 PM

Just as the USPS takes custody of snail mail, so that it can deliver it, Outlook, your Yahoo and my Gmail do the same thing. It has to sit somewhere between the time it's sent and we access it.

#6 Norseman143

Norseman143

• Members
  • 300 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 AM

Posted 28 September 2015 - 05:15 PM

I read all the links, and none of them addressed whats in the EULA

Most of what they said,I already knew by reading and watching pro Windows articles

They didn't address the fact that they own anything and everything on your PC

#7 leithanne

leithanne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2015 - 05:30 PM

Do you have a link for that?

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,442 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2015 - 06:08 PM

I think Microsoft is going to have to work really hard to gain back trust and they didn't help by downloading Windows 10 to computers when people specifically said they did not want it.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/09/28/windows_10_data_collection/

Some interesting comments

#9 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2015 - 06:10 PM

The so-called 'response' is actually a bunch of OLD LINKS which say absolutely nothing.  Thankfully, some realize that the old lies are just being retold as if the customers were dog doodoo who can't understand anything.  Extremely disrespectful, MSFT and its pundits.  Bullying answers, dismissive answers, ad hominems against anyone who rightfully points out the facts.

But people are catching on now, look at the article here, and the comments here.

Anyone reading aka.ms/msa Paragraphs 2, 3, 7 will know immediately that the latest MSFT 'response' is hoakum.

EDIT:  lol, JohnC_21, you and I were linking the same (first) article at the same time!

Edited by brainout, 28 September 2015 - 06:17 PM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#10 leithanne

leithanne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2015 - 06:47 PM

I agree with you on that, John. The downloads were just plain wrong.

BTW,  Paul Thurrott  and Zdnet  have weighed in, too.

#11 Norseman143

Norseman143

• Members
  • 300 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2015 - 07:30 PM

Alright, I read all your links

"First and foremost, the Cortana service, which has the capability to use personal information based on your typing or voice input, is off by default. You have to specifically enable it."

Thats a lie, I never activated Cortana, yet it still is seen in my task manager

Just for fun, I ran the minni tool box, the only errors it reported were from Cortana, Which shouldn't even be on

#12 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2015 - 07:52 PM

You can't disable Cortana.  I tried deleting the service, and it came on 30 seconds later, I watched it go back on all by itself.  And Cortana is ON by default, you are given the option to turn her OFF at installation, ever since build 10130, which is the first time in BC I posted about all this during the past June; could find the link if it mattered.

You can curtail Cortana but will be forever beeped to turn her on again, at Start/Search Menu, left frame has its own separate settings (yeah, where you'd not expect them).  You have to turn Bing off and Cortana off together, which means you turn off websearching too.  Of course, since the default is ON, you are immediately subject to aka.ms/msa which includes Bing, the second you installed Win10 (to answer some critics who ineptly claim aka.ms/msa only applies to MSFT services, not reading the fact it's incorporated by reference in EULA Paragraphs 1 and 14, and applies anyway even if you never use Win10, the second you use Bing, Office 365, Skype or the other services listed here).

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#13 leithanne

leithanne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2015 - 07:59 PM

Norseman, I had to activate Cortana on both Home and Pro. It still shows in my task manager, although disabled, because it runs Windows Search. No web or Bing, just searching my stuff for me. I chose not to totally nuke her, since Windows Search is useful to me.

#14 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,082 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 AM

Posted 28 September 2015 - 10:53 PM

This is a shot of the task manager on my win X pc...shows searchUI.exe(cortana)....has been like that since day dot....it remains unchanged through updates, shutdowns , reboots etc etc

24xj804.jpg

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#15 leithanne

leithanne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2015 - 07:09 AM

Search is powered by Cortana in Windows 10. Even if you disable Cortana's functionality, which I have done as I don't find the feature particularly useful, you will notice that Cortana remains running in the Task Manager.

Link

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users