Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What Are These Really Really Long Folder & File Names

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 george321

george321

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 PM

Posted 28 September 2015 - 02:45 PM

This may not be the right place for this question but I couldn't find a better one. I have a lot of files with very long names such as e61888d55aa19d8a3cbe9dfd7898c1. Some are folders and sone are files. They may or may not have any data in them. Anyone know why these are generated and if they don't have any data can I safely delete them. Thanks for tha help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jcgriff2

jcgriff2

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 PM

Posted 28 September 2015 - 03:03 PM

Looks like HEX to me.

Where are they located? 

Microsoft MVP 2009-2015
Microsoft Windows Insider MVP 2018 - Present

#3 Scoop8

Scoop8

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 PM

Posted 29 September 2015 - 07:42 AM

george321

Those files (and folders) are leftover items that are usually generated by Windows Updates and/or Windows Essentials.  If I recall right, they're called GUID's or Global Unique Identifier items.

If I recall, a bug was fixed a couple of years ago where these items are (mostly if not all) deleted after WU/Windows Essentials are run.   Since that time, I've only seen a few new items appear on my PC.

As a rule, it's ok to delete the files/folders but I'd run a HDD backup process (Clone or Image) before purging the items.

After I cloned my HDD, I purged those items from my PC a couple of years ago.

Most of them were located in my %LocalAppdata% folder, if I recall.  A few were located in the top C:\ dir.

At that time, there were many items in my LocalAppdata folder so I used a VBscript to delete the items which sped up the process.  It checks any of the "hex" folders to see if they're empty before removing the folders.

Attached is the script file in *.txt format.  You can save it to your PC as   any_name.vbs   .

Attached Files

Edited by Scoop8, 29 September 2015 - 07:49 AM.

#4 george321

george321
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 PM

Posted 30 September 2015 - 10:26 AM

Very good Scoop. Good info. Thanks much

#5 Scoop8

Scoop8

• Members