Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Combofix and Win 10

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 dankuch

dankuch

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 AM

Posted 28 September 2015 - 02:40 PM

Good afternoon, Is anyone aware of when Combofix will work with Windows 10?

Edit: Moved topic from Windows 10 to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 AM

Posted 28 September 2015 - 03:31 PM

Hello and welcome:

Short answer: No.

This very recent post by @Quietman7 (with input from other members in previous replies in that thread) contains the definitive answer.

Cheers,

MM

#3 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,539 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2015 - 03:42 PM

Don't use ComboFix; it's like an agressive fire-fighter, the fire and its damaging ways may be eliminated, however, the water damage could range from slight irk ['cause a little reConfiguration is needed] to HolyMolyMuchFlood! [some to many programs including security programs are either off'd or disabled].  My local computer store once ran that awhile back, fortunately I had an OS image backup; restored, was back in business.

Edited by RolandJS, 28 September 2015 - 03:43 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 AM

Posted 28 September 2015 - 04:25 PM

If you need individual assistance with a malware infection, other advanced tools are available but they cannot be used in this forum. Instructions for getting that help are in the link provided by MoxieMomma.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 PM

Posted 02 October 2015 - 06:46 AM

rather than saying "don't use it", I would instead advise reserving it's use just after the rest of your common Windows tools (Roguekiller, Rkill, AdwCleaner, JRT, MBAM, HitmanPro) and offline/bootable tools (Windows Defender Offline, Kaspersky Rescue disk) have failed, and for when you are now seriously considering doing a full format/reinstall....

(You might want to also research a Tron script, which can be a mult-hour kitchen sink sort of approach with a variety of common but well know tools)

Now you have nothing to lose if something goes amiss with ComboFix, right?

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,905 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2015 - 08:04 AM

RolandJS advised not to use ComboFix because Bleeping Computer does not offer advice on how to run ComboFix unless we asked someone to run it or if there is a problem with the computer caused by running the tool. This is because people should not be using ComboFix without being advised to do so by a trained expert (see here) who is assisting them deal with a malware problem.

#7 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 PM

Posted 02 October 2015 - 08:49 AM

So apparently, even if a hypothetical Windows user was at the point of formatting/reinstalling due to a 10-15 day fiasco with malware and multiple 3-5 day waits for a response, even then the user should shun the CF option?

Yes, I understand all the CF support (lack thereof) and risk disclaimers, but, ... apparently even reserving it's use as a last resort is ill-advised?

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,905 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2015 - 10:49 AM

We are always willing to provide individual assistance with removing malware. As I noted above, there are alternatives tools but they are not permitted in this forum

#9 Jaycan

Jaycan

• Members
  • 461 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 PM

Posted 03 October 2015 - 07:28 AM

apparently even reserving it's use as a last resort is ill-advised?

This is correct, mostly if you have installed any O/S above Windows 8, this includes Windows 8.1 which is programmed away from the basic Windows 8 version.

Use on earlier Systems is still only advised in certain cases, and you are often advised to use programs more like Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.

Note that sUBs (C/Fix inventor) works with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware these days, and that program is much safer than your ideas.

We know this is not exactly what you want to hear, but the industry has now moved beyond a quick run of ComboFix, and uses more "refined tools".

If you need more assistance with any malware infection, other advanced tools are available but they cannot be used in this forum. Please follow the instructions in the Malware Removal and Log Section Preparation Guide starting at Step 6.

• If you cannot complete a step, then skip it and continue with the next.
  • In Step 6 there are instructions for downloading and running FRST which will create two logs.

When you have done that, post your logs in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum, NOT here, for assistance by the Malware Response Team only.

Start a new topic, give it a relevant title and post your log(s) along with a brief description of your problem, a summary of any anti-malware tools you have used and a summary of any steps that you have performed on your own.
If you cannot produce any of the required logs...start the new topic anyway. Explain that you followed the Prep. Guide, were unable to create the logs, and describe what happened when you tried to create them then describe your problem. A member of the Malware Removal Team will walk you through, step by step, on how to clean your computer.

After doing this, please reply back in this thread with a link to the new topic so we can close this one, so any unwanted advice will not be posted.

Acer Computer with LG Monitor and Toshiba Laptop with Windows 7.1

Windows 64bit  8.1 - Always fully updated

Firefox / Google Chrome / Internet Explorer Browsers

Usually a home helper here or with friends and nimble fingered ladies who would rather sew or dust, but not clean the bugs out of a computer ...

#10 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,539 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2015 - 08:49 AM

Jaycan, you're spot on!  Because of the caustic nature of many utilities such as ComboFix, whenever I discover a utility of a caustic nature, I move into a folder "Last Resorts" to remind me what utilities, which utiilities, to never never use unless specifically asked to do so, and in the ways and means to do so -- by recognized malware giants [great techs] here in BC.  Perhaps I should label "Last Resorts" "AVOID THESE"   :)

Edited by RolandJS, 03 October 2015 - 08:49 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,905 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2015 - 09:02 AM

ComboFix was never meant to be used as a general purpose malware scanner like SuperAntispyware, AdwCleaner or Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware which scan individual drives, different folders, the registry, etc on a computer for malware.

#12 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,539 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2015 - 10:00 AM

Quietman7, even adwcleaner can be problematic.  It borders on, comes real close to, activities conducted by registry cleaner or rkill.  I like the fact that you guys and gals in here walk a person through usage of adwcleaner!   :)

Edited by RolandJS, 03 October 2015 - 10:00 AM.

#13 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 AM

Posted 03 October 2015 - 10:24 AM

Rkill doesn't do anything but kill malicious processes and report other things, so I wouldn't call AdwCleaner *close to* Rkill :) And besides AdwCleaner is meant only to remove items from toolbars, adwares and other unwanted programs etc., not removing things indiscriminately like registry cleaners.

#14 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,905 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2015 - 12:29 PM

And by now most our members know that Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons but we are getting off topic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users