Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Didn't think I had a router - but got 5, and one is infected

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 faster

faster

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 AM

Posted 28 September 2015 - 01:26 PM

I have W7. Avast found 5 routers on my system I didn't know anything about. I didn't even know I HAD one. Maybe the guy who owned my PC before me did it. I thought routers were external devices. One on the list was for, or from, Android. I don't have anything but a desktop PC. I have a modem from my provider - is THAT a router?

Avast told me my router is infected, but not which one. I don't want more than one, or ANY, without a good reason.

I was given a lot of information about what happens when my router is infected, but not how to stop it.

At least one of these 5 routers looks very suspicious. The first digits of the DNS in the other four routers reflect my IP address with variations.

How can I get rid of it? It may explain why my memory drops to 3% or less so often in the last two years.

It calls itself: IP fe80.0000.0000.0000.04c9.268b.2a24.64d0

I can't read the name of it - the text is too small and faint for me to read.

As usual, the pitiful W7 Search is useless. It can't find the word router.

When I investigated, I had so many open windows I couldn't keep track - none of them gave me info I could use, but I did get warnings that device failures could happen if I didn't do it right.

Can someone help walk me through this? I'm way out of my depth.
Holly B.

Edited by hamluis, 28 September 2015 - 02:45 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:12:48 PM

Posted 28 September 2015 - 02:30 PM

What are the names, if known of the "routers" Avast found?
What EXACTLY is on the list?

To answer your question

I have a modem from my provider - is THAT a router?

The answer is: it could be IF the modem is a gateway unit, which has the modem/router in one unit.
What is the manufacturer model number of you IPS modem?

Edited by Queen-Evie, 28 September 2015 - 04:57 PM.

#3 jcgriff2

jcgriff2

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 1,109 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2015 - 02:40 PM

Being the second owner of the system, you really should reinstall Windows as you never know what the previous owner left behind.

Microsoft MVP 2009-2015
Microsoft Windows Insider MVP 2018 - Present

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,563 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2015 - 02:41 PM

Modems and routers...used to be separate items, two distinct pieces of hardware.

If you Google "modem-router", you will see that over the last several years, these two pieces of hardware have been joined by a third, the modem-router.

Soooo...it depends on what the specific item is...in order for anyone to determine what functions it may perform.

Louis

#5 faster

faster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2015 - 04:27 PM

I understand your difficulty, and I've tried to find the routers, using Speccy. It doesn't seem to be fully functional. I can't get details on many things, but none of them mention a router.

For over two years, I've had a VERY slow bootup time, and I suspect this router may be involved in that. When I first got the PC, the bootup time was very fast. So I'm wondering if these routers installed themselves, and are responsible for the slow bootup time. I can't be sure they were there when I bought the PC.

Can you suggest where I might start looking for the routers? Formatting C and reinstalling Windows is something I probably should do, but it will take a long time to save all the data first. I'd have to reinstall most programs, and I would have lost all their settings.

Fortunately for me, I use no social media, and absolutely never do financial transactions online - the info is on paper only. There is little of use to an invader, but being invaded is still highly offensive.

If I can find the routers, it would help me make decisions. Avast was able to detect them, but gave me no information on how to find them. Can you guide me to finding them?

#6 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 28 September 2015 - 04:58 PM

I ask again, what EXACTLY does Avast say about the routers that caused your concern?

Edited by Queen-Evie, 28 September 2015 - 05:04 PM.

#7 faster

faster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2015 - 05:34 PM

Queen-Evie - I'll do the Avast scan and get back tomorrow.

I can't read the names of the routers. But Avast said unequivocally that I have an infected router. I tried to follow up with them to find out what I could DO about it, but checking things out was involved and I had too many windows open to keep track.

One suggestion was to rename my network, but I don't know what that could do that might be harmful. Many suggestions involved a router for wireless - I have no wireless.

I tried to copy the names and DNS addresses of the five routers Avast found. My eyes aren't good, so I couldn't read  them. Couldn't enlarge it either. I got the DNS on the suspicious one only because a mouse-over revealed a popup of that info in white against a background of black. It didn't happen with the other four routers. I don't know any way to copy the result from Avast, either, but I'll try again.

I couldn't copy the result page of the scan, but I did copy/paste to Notebook how Avast advised me. Should I send it?

#8 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2015 - 06:37 PM

Yes, please paste it.

We still need to know the manufacturer/model number of you ISP modem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users