Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bootable Linux USBs on Ebay

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 JR999

JR999

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 AM

Posted 28 September 2015 - 11:41 AM

I'm new here and I'm not very tech. I'm running an older WIN 7 and the associated problems w/ WIN 10. Instead of relearning WIN 10. I'd like to get with Linux.

It looks like my easiest route is to simply buy a bootable USB or DVD, on Ebay. The CD/DVD's are cheaper but then they would tie up my DVD, so I'll go with the USB.

I hit F12 to see if my computer is bootable by USB. I see the usual; 1. boot from HDD. 2. Boot from CD/DVD.

#3 is boot from a Cardbus NIC
#4 is boot from a Onboard NIC (Network Interface Card/controller)

My question is; would highlighting and entering #3 or #4 be the way for making the USB bootable?

Edited by Queen-Evie, 28 September 2015 - 01:15 PM.
moved from Linux How-To and Tutorial Section to appropriate forum

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2015 - 03:43 PM

Change #1 to CD/DVD.  Presumably it includes USB.  You have an older computer, so those should be the only settings you need to change.  Also, you can buy CD/DVD and USB bundles of Linux from Amazon.  They start at about $30, so you can get both, and see which works.  Don't worry about your DVD being used, as you can use it to create an EXTERNAL bootable Linux on any size of external hard drive you like.  That's what I do.

Instructions, how, are here.  I would think the same steps work with any Linux, but you might want to remove your internal hard drive first, so the installer won't mistakenly install to your internal drive.  I didn't have to do that with Mint 17.1 (which is covered in the instructions).  You can use any old laptop to do this, doesn't have to be your main Win7 machine.  So long as you have 1 GB of RAM, it's enough.

Edited by brainout, 28 September 2015 - 03:47 PM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#3 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,268 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 PM

Posted 29 September 2015 - 06:43 AM

You have an older computer

I had an older hp that  gave you the option to boot from USB stick, Only when there was a Bootable USB stick plugged in.

Internal HDD means to boot from the built-in hard drive

Cardbus NIC would attempt to boot from a network card plugged into one of the slots on the side of your laptop / PC.

Onboard NIC would attempt to boot from the built-in network adapter.

Edited by NickAu, 29 September 2015 - 06:55 AM.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#4 JR999

JR999
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2015 - 12:54 AM

Thanks for the replies - guys. The info gives me more alternatives. I don't want to remove the HD but I will try an experimental install on a secondary machine, first.

Don't worry about your DVD being used, as you can use it to create an EXTERNAL bootable Linux on any size of external hard drive you like.  That's what I'll do, too. Thanks again.

Hey Brainout, I'm new here. I've seen you pushing that boulder all over Bleeping Computer. B - careful.

I just came across the guy's mythological name last Friday. His name was Sisyphus - from the house of WIN 10.

#5 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,015 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 AM

Posted 30 September 2015 - 04:35 AM

It looks like my easiest route is to simply buy a bootable USB or DVD, on Ebay. The CD/DVD's are cheaper but then they would tie up my DVD, so I'll go with the USB.

One thing to watch out for, making sure that the versions installed aren't old ones. LTS versions such as 14.04 are fine, anything below that, including 12.04, isn't. Unless one has a really older computer. 

Some of these Flash drives, depending on size, may have several distros in stalled, you pick the one wanted at boot. 

The reason why I bring this up is because have seen eBay Linux sellers offer versions that are years old. Until a couple of years ago, even the long abandoned 'Freespire' Linux OS (I bet many on this forum hasn't heard of that one) was still being distributed in a package of 'top' Linux distros. The seller should have stated 'classic', abandoned', 'obsolete' or 'antique' in the description, rather than outright deceive buyers. In fact, several vendors were still selling Freespire, unfortunately I bought one of these back in 2010 or so, it was dead 2-3 years before then, so selling in 2013 is outright thievery. Their last release was back in 2007, the same year that I began taking more of an enthusiast approach to computers, a desire to learn rather than just be another user.

And one like this at $114.94 is well overpriced.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/64Bit-Ubuntu-Linux-14-04-3-Operating-Sytem-OS-on-8GB-USB-Drive-/321497343441?hash=item4adabc25d1

For that price, one can purchase a dozen 8GiB sized Flash drives & make their own (what I do, but prefer a 16-32GiB model for full install). The above seller isn't even providing a Flash drive with a Full install, rather using a 4096MiB persistence file. 

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 30 September 2015 - 04:39 AM.

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users