Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Best Antivirus?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
22 replies to this topic

#1 Zahid Iqbal

Zahid Iqbal

• Banned Spammer
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 PM

Posted 28 September 2015 - 09:43 AM

Which is the best one? KasperSky or Norton

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Will5200

Will5200

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 AM

Posted 28 September 2015 - 10:39 AM

Depends on who you talk to, and everyone has an opinion. IMHO, between the two Kaspersky may have the edge. I personally prefer AVG only because I have worked with it for a number of years and have trust.

#3 PCExpert

PCExpert

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2015 - 02:59 PM

Hello! Your question depends on if you're looking for a free or paid antivirus solution. Judging by your original post, I have reason to believe you are looking for a paid security suite. I would reccomend BitDefender, they have really good protection, and has been rated #1 by PCMag. However, if you are looking for a free alternative, I really reccomend Avast!

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 AM

Posted 28 September 2015 - 03:51 PM

If you go with AVG or Avast, custom/advance install and uncheck modules you do not want or need.  I think Quietman recommends ESET NOD32 [spelling?].  Years ago, I did have Norton Internet Security & Utilities on my W3.1-WFW3.11.  Went with Avast and AVG afterwards.

There is no one best; like races horses in a high-quality race, they each have their strengths, their less than strengths.  Each is number one awhile, then another climbs to number one -- within the yearly races.

Also, like buying a high-quality car, one has to consider the features, the benefits, potential downsides of said features, what "look and feel" you are most comfortable with.

Edited by RolandJS, 28 September 2015 - 03:52 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#5 PCExpert

PCExpert

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2015 - 04:09 PM

If you go with AVG or Avast, custom/advance install and uncheck modules you do not want or need.  I think Quietman recommends ESET NOD32 [spelling?].  Years ago, I did have Norton Internet Security & Utilities on my W3.1-WFW3.11.  Went with Avast and AVG afterwards.

There is no one best; like races horses in a high-quality race, they each have their strengths, their less than strengths.  Each is number one awhile, then another climbs to number one -- within the yearly races.

Also, like buying a high-quality car, one has to consider the features, the benefits, potential downsides of said features, what "look and feel" you are most comfortable with.

I would't reccomend AVG. It lacks the common features that other Anti-Virus suites have for free. And the detection ratio is on the lower end.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,769 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2015 - 04:22 PM

Although Norton (Symantec) is as good as any other well known anti-virus program, it requires numerous services and running processes that consume system resources and often results in complaints of high CPU usage. Anti-virus software components insert themselves deep into the operating systems core where they install kernel mode drivers that load at boot-up and create files/folders/registry entries in various locations.

I have read from other users that Norton has made improvements in newer versions of their software so they are not as resource heavy as past versions...while others still say differently. Those issues plus the cost factor are the primary reason many folks look for a free alternative. IMO, Norton is better utilized in an Enterprise system environment protecting many client computers. With that said, there are a lot of folks who prefer using Norton (especially if it came preinstalled) and there is nothing wrong with staying with a product you are satisfied with.

I generally recommend ESET NOD32 Anti-Virus or Emsisoft Anti-Malware as they leave a small footprint...meaning they are not intrusive and do not utilize a lot of system resources. Kaspersky Anti-virus is also a good choice for the same reason.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#7 eznetso

eznetso

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2015 - 12:43 PM

I agree with PCExpert, depends on if you're looking for a free or paid antivirus solution.  In this day and age, there is really no need to go the paid route.  If you are a standard user with a computer or two in your home, and not running a server / network then the basic tools in most of the free anti-virus software packages will be sufficient.  A good free option is Avast.  Only requirement is to renew it annually, and be sure not to purchase the upgraded version, it's unnecessary.  

Another key component to any anti-virus is that it is only as good as the user behind it.  If every time you get a pop-up warning about a download or a file you click through the "allow" feature, then you are essentially opening the door for the virus to come in.  All too often we see this in the repair business.  

Also, virus protection software is one area where less is more.  We get dozens of systems in our shop for repairs due to a virus and find that they have 3 or 4 different virus softwares on their systems.  They tend to conflict with each other and cancel each other out! So whatever software you decide on, use it as effectively as possible, and stick with it.  If you are unhappy then remove it before installing a new one.

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,769 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2015 - 01:08 PM

An offer of free anti-malware software is essentially a marketing technique...a way of advertising and enticement to get folks to try a product and if they like it, to purchase the full (or Pro) version which typically provides more features. Marketing and promotional strategies are built into the vendor's business model as part of their operating costs. Bottom line...it's all about generating revenue and finding new and creative ways to do so. As such, users may have to deal with occasional nagging pop-ups or nuisance advertising and prompts to upgrade to the paid version.

By using such free programs, you are essentially agreeing to the terms of the vendor's service which includes those ads. In some cases you may be able to disable annoying pop-ups through the anti-virus settings if the vendor included an option to disable them. If the vendor does not have such an option listed, then your only alternative is to switch anti-virus software if the pop-up ads annoy you that much.

Also keep in mind that many anti-virus vendors are bundling toolbars and other software with their products as a cost recoup measure. In fact, all free Anti-virus programs now come with toolbars or other bundled software except Bitdefender Free.As for avast and AVG...the user also has to be concerned about...Avast and AVG anti-virus products collect personal data for selling to advertisers

#9 Zahid Iqbal

Zahid Iqbal
  • Topic Starter

• Banned Spammer
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2015 - 03:03 AM

Paid option is available. I think I should go with Kaspersky. Thanks a lot for advice.

According to lifehack, best one is Kaspersky currently in paid. MSE was best in free but now Avast is recommended by lifehack

Edited by Zahid Iqbal, 06 October 2015 - 03:04 AM.

#10 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,224 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2015 - 04:47 AM

I say Avast, bitdefender, and Panda free antivirus. Forget your Nortons and AVG, especially AVG now its resorted to data mining http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2015-09/17/avg-privacy-policy-browser-search-data

Kaperskys good though, as is Comodo (though comodo can be a bit too sensitive)

I like Panda free as its win10 compatible and has great detection overall

Avira is another great option, though it does hang sometimes in my tests.

Edited by MadmanRB, 06 October 2015 - 04:59 AM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,769 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2015 - 06:20 AM

Paid option is available. I think I should go with Kaspersky. Thanks a lot for advice.
According to lifehack, best one is Kaspersky currently in paid. MSE was best in free but now Avast is recommended by lifehack

There are several reputable labs which test the effectiveness of major anti-virus programs and security suites to include AV-Comparatives.org, Virus Bulletin Comparative Tests, AV-Test.org, NSS Labs Consumer Anti-Malware Products Group Test Report, MRG-Effitas, etc....lifehack is not one of them.With that said, Kaspersky is a very good choice.

#12 Zahid Iqbal

Zahid Iqbal
  • Topic Starter

• Banned Spammer
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2015 - 08:19 AM

There are several reputable labs which test the effectiveness of major anti-virus programs and security suites to include AV-Comparatives.org, Virus Bulletin Comparative Tests, AV-Test.org, NSS Labs Consumer Anti-Malware Products Group Test Report, MRG-Effitas, etc....lifehack is not one of them. With that said, Kaspersky is a very good choice.

Very good information. thanks. I got lot

#13 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,769 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2015 - 04:14 PM

You're welcome on behalf of the Bleeping Computer community.

#14 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 AM

Posted 11 October 2015 - 07:22 AM

There is no universal "one size fits all" solution that works for everyone and there is no single best anti-virus.

The only "best one" is the one a user knows how to use correctly, and the user maintains updates and restorable backups.

Edited by RolandJS, 11 October 2015 - 07:23 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#15 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,769 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2015 - 07:41 AM

+ 1