Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How can I permanently stop the Windows 10 automatic upgrade/download?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Ladyfirst

Ladyfirst

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 AM

Posted 28 September 2015 - 09:27 AM

I do not want to upgrade my computer from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10!

Here's what I've done so far.

First - I unchecked the Windows 10 upgrade box in the optional update list.

Then I right-clicked on it and chose to hide the upgrade.

The upgrade still started downloading with the selected, important updates so I stopped the download which

also stopped all of the other updates from downloading.

I read that you could do a search for KB3035583 and choose to uninstall it, which I did. But on my next

attempt to install just the important updates, Windows 10 began downloading again before any of the other

updates could be installed. 

I did stop the download again, but I know it will start as soon as I attempt to download this month's updates.

~ Is there anything else I can do to stop it that won't mess up my computer?

Edited by Ladyfirst, 28 September 2015 - 09:29 AM.

Computers are magnificent tools for the realization of our dreams, but no machine can replace the human spark of spirit, compassion, love, and understanding.  Louis Gerstner

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 PCExpert

PCExpert

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 AM

Posted 28 September 2015 - 03:04 PM

Hello, LadyFirst!

I will be doing my best to assist you today with any questions you may have. Firstly, I would like to say that you have made the right choice by deciding to stay with Windows 8.1 as Windows 10 has many security issues, compatibility issues and privacy issues that grow more concerning as we learn more about the policies. I do see that you already know to remove the update 'KB3035583' which has gave the option to upgrade to Windows 10. A way to resolve this issue of the update coming back, would be to right click and 'hide update' and then it shouldn't install at anytime. I hope I was able to be of assistance to you in resolving your issue!

Stay safe!

If you have any question(s) or need additional help, feel free to PM me!

#3 Ladyfirst

Ladyfirst
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2015 - 05:55 PM

Hello PCExpert,

Thank you very much for offering that information but as I mentioned at the top of

my post, right-clicking and selecting to "hide update" was the second thing that I did.

~ Is there anything more that can be done to stop it?

Edited by Ladyfirst, 28 September 2015 - 05:56 PM.

Computers are magnificent tools for the realization of our dreams, but no machine can replace the human spark of spirit, compassion, love, and understanding.  Louis Gerstner

#4 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,040 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 PM

Posted 28 September 2015 - 07:11 PM

@ 'PCExpert',... :welcome: to BC.... we do not offer assistance via PM.

As you are new to the forum    read the forum rules

@ Ladyfirst, the info contained in the link below should get you organized. Have a read through first. It is not as complex as it first appears.

http://www.infoworld.com/article/2974479/microsoft-windows/how-to-get-rid-of-the-your-upgrade-to-windows-10-is-ready-lock-on-windows-update-in-win7-and-8-1.html

Also....there is a topic running in BC  HERE  

Edited by Condobloke, 28 September 2015 - 07:49 PM.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#5 PCExpert

PCExpert

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 AM

Posted 28 September 2015 - 07:18 PM

Hello PCExpert,

Thank you very much for offering that information but as I mentioned at the top of

my post, right-clicking and selecting to "hide update" was the second thing that I did.

~ Is there anything more that can be done to stop it?

Hello, Ladyfirst

The final step would be to restart your computer and you should be good!

Stay safe!

#6 Ladyfirst

Ladyfirst
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2015 - 09:08 AM

@ PCExpert ~ Thank you, but I already tried that and it was unsuccessful.

@ Condobloke ~ Thank you very much for your assistance and for those links!

I usually read Woody Leonard's monthly articles but apparently I missed this one.

I'll be following his step-by-step instructions later when I have more time and post

back with the results. 

#7 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,040 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2015 - 06:44 PM

:thumbup2:

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#8 rishitha

rishitha

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 PM

Posted 30 September 2015 - 04:33 AM

Nice post.... :busy:

#9 Ladyfirst

Ladyfirst
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2015 - 09:13 AM

Hello Condobloke,

I apologize for my delayed response. There's a wedding in the family in two weeks and I keep getting

sidetracked with unexpected errands and preparations.

But back to my Windows 10 issues.

I followed Mr. Leonard's helpful instructions but I also discovered that in spite of uninstalling and hiding

KB 2976978 and KB3035583 they keep reappearing in the available update list, needing to be hidden
yet again.

As of this morning, when I restart my computer after installing a batch of updates, Windows 10 still shows

to be downloading but as yet hasn't intruded itself in any other way.

(I only install 5 or 6 updates at a time, in case there's any compatibility issues it's much easier to pinpoint

the offending update.)

It's too soon for me to tell if Windows 10 is going to continue to try to download every time I download some

updates; if it's actually downloading or it's just a ghost of the now blocked upgrade.

Tomorrow, when I download the next batch of updates, I'll know more.

Again, thank you Condobloke for your help and your patience. :)

Edited by Ladyfirst, 01 October 2015 - 09:13 AM.

#10 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,048 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 AM

Posted 03 October 2015 - 03:12 PM

Post #9:
It's inevitable that the nasty updates will unhide themselves, hidden updates re-appear when the update is re-released with slight modifications and KB3035583 is always being re-released. hiding them is not enough to stop them. What you must do is set windows update to the "check automatically but ask me whether I want to download" setting, then every tuesday evening/wednesday morning go to "windows update" in "control panel" and see what updates are being offered, at which point you can install all the "Security Update for ..." updates and reject everything else, this will ensure that you won't receive gwx and you won't have windows 10 automatically downloaded.

The easiest thing to do is only install security updates, and for the other updates (Update for ...) go to the "more information" link and see what the descriptions say they do, unless those descriptions say the update has fixed a bug you have experienced then you need not install any non-security updates. But always install the "Security Update for..." security updates which fix vulnerabilities, THOSE updates you do need, others you usually don't.

You also need to make sure you don't ever get the update KB3044374, if you already have it then uninstall it.

There are also things you can do to clear up and eradicate any remnants of gwx remaining on your computer, but they are tricky, somewhat risky and shouldn't be needed unless you find yourself unable to remove KB3044374, KB3035583, KB2976978 and also unable to stop windows 10 downloading, and stopthose nasty updates re-downloading, by putting updates on a setting where you have to approve the ones you want before any can install. And if you ever have to do any of those more extreme things you MUST have a system image to hand before you try them.

Also you need to make yourself a system image on an external disk, so if the situation gets worse, or if you have to resort to extreme measures to prevent gwx and windows 10, then you have something to fal back on if things go wrong. Here is how to make a system image, on windows 8.1 the option to do so is found under "file history" on "control panel". http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/create-system-image-in-windows-7-8/#manual

Edited by rp88, 03 October 2015 - 03:15 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#11 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,040 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2015 - 08:14 PM

Good post rp88 ..that hits the nail on the head !

GcnI1aH.jpg

#12 Ladyfirst

Ladyfirst
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2015 - 07:24 AM

Hello everyone,

At the suggestion of rp88 I located and uninstalled KB3044374 and re-hid KB3035583 and KB2976978.

That seems to have done the trick; the Windows 10 automatic download has finally stopped and no longer

appears when I download important updates!

So, thank you very much, rp88 for that info!!!

And thank you everyone for helping me solve this problem! :)

With kind regards,

Ladyfirst

#13 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,048 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 AM

Posted 09 October 2015 - 01:37 PM

Ladyfirst: "re-hid KB3035583 and KB2976978."

Hiding updates is not enough, they will return, you also need to set updates to "check automatically but ask me whether I want to download", have you done that?

P.S. can you post a screenshot of your C:\ drive, with hidden files and folders set to show, that way we can see if you have the $WINDOWS.~BT folder associated with windows 10 downloading in the background. Also a screenshot of all the files that come up when you search C:\ for "gwx" would be helpful.

Edited by rp88, 09 October 2015 - 01:37 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#14 Asok Asus

Asok Asus

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 AM

Posted 12 October 2015 - 02:03 PM

(the solution to your problem is the reg hack listed further below, but I've included the broader description of this whole issue, anyway.)

KB3035583 showed up on AGAIN on a plethora of my client's systems a few days (10/10/15) ago after I had already removed it, unchecked it and hid it weeks earlier. The reason is that Microsoft keeps re-releasing these updates as if they are new.

Furthermore, it appears that the update option, "check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them", has somehow been ignored with one of these re-released updates as I've found systems magically reset to "Install Updates Automatically", even on systems where the users don't even know how to access an administrator account.

On 10/10/2015 ago I found KB3035583 installed AGAIN on several systems I support and had to uninstall it AGAIN. I then had Update find it again, unchecked it and hid it, and lo and behold, the Windows 10 installer itself was STILL pending as the only available update!

Looking at "view other updates", I found the Windows 10 installer itself included, and then unchecked and hid it, and that actually BROKE Microsoft updates! After I did the above, update would immediately fail with an error (I think 0x80240019: "WU_E_EXCLUSIVE_INSTALL_CONFLICT An exclusive update cannot be installed with other updates at the same time").

This happened on ALL the systems at one business I support!

Fortunately I had encountered this problem before when I had had to roll back to W8.1 from W10 for a client who was tricked into installing W10, so I knew what to do, namely apply the following .reg hack (it will solve the above problems on both W10 and W8):

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\OSUpgrade]
"AllowOSUpgrade"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\OSUpgrade\State]
"OSUpgradeState"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate]
"DisableOSUpgrade"=dword:00000001

[Note: copy the above in a file with .reg type, and execute the reg file by right-clicking and selecting "Merge".]

This reg hack can be applied at any time when removing, unchecking and hiding KB3035583 and the Windows 10 installer update itself, but the simplest way to use the reg hack is to first uninstall KB3035583, and then apply the above reg hack BEFORE rebooting, namely first use:

wusa /uninstall /kb:3035583 /norestart /quiet

wusa /uninstall /kb:2952664 /norestart /quiet

then apply the .reg reghack, and then reboot. I've found that if the reg hack is applied that way, the Windows 10 update installer itself will not come back, though you still have to recheck for updates after the boot, to find KB3035583 AGAIN and then uncheck and hide it.

Note KB2952664 comes back too, and if you want to make sure you've removed ALL the telemetry put the following in a .bat file:

@echo on

wusa /uninstall /kb:3035583 /norestart /quiet

wusa /uninstall /kb:3022345 /norestart /quiet

wusa /uninstall /kb:3068708 /norestart /quiet

wusa /uninstall /kb:3075249 /norestart /quiet

wusa /uninstall /kb:3080149 /norestart /quiet

wusa /uninstall /kb:2990214 /norestart /quiet

wusa /uninstall /kb:3012973 /norestart /quiet

wusa /uninstall /kb:2952664 /norestart /quiet

wusa /uninstall /kb:2976978 /norestart /quiet

pause

and  run the above  batch file, THEN do the .reg hack, and then reboot, and as I said before, you will then have to have update check for new updates, find KB3035583 and KB2952664 and uncheck and hide them.

At this point in the game, because of what Microsoft is doing to my clients with their outrageous, repeated attempts to force W10 onto my client's computers and thereby completely wreck their businesses if they succeed, my only choice is to turn automatic updates off altogether with "Never check for updates" and manually check once or twice a year and see if there's anything worth allowing to install.

#15 Ladyfirst

Ladyfirst
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2015 - 09:33 AM

(And here I thought I was done. :) )

~ I'm currently absorbed with last minute family wedding details, but will tend to the next steps shortly when

I can give this my full attention.

Thank you!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users