Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Received notification but update will not install

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 carbuff

carbuff

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 AM

Posted 28 September 2015 - 08:40 AM

Attached File  Update.jpg   30.87KB   0 downloadsReceived an update notification in Windows 10 update screen.

When I press the INSTALL NOW button, the spinning circle appears and says in motion without starting the install.

I have minimized the window and also checked the task bar.  Still the install does not take place.

Help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2015 - 07:32 PM

You might want to wait for a few minutes for the installer to finish downloading, and then see if the installer comes up.

If I am helping you and I don't respond within 2 days, feel free to send me a PM

Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst 

Github | Keybase

#3 carbuff

carbuff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2015 - 06:19 AM

The spinning circle continues.  After an hour of this, I discontinue the operation.

#4 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2015 - 06:23 PM

The spinning circle continues.  After an hour of this, I discontinue the operation.

Alright, so lets work on a different way to update the drivers

Open Command Prompt as Admin by:

Press WindowsX

Click on Command Prompt (Admin)

If a warning comes warning you that command prompt wants to make changes to your computer, click Yes

Now, in Command Prompt, type this

SET DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES=1
and press enter

Now, type this

devmgmt.msc
and press enter

Now, a special Device Manager window will open

In this mode, click on the triangle beside Imaging devices

Find Microsoft LifeCam HD-3000, and right-click on it

Click on Update driver software...

Now, click on Search automatically for updated driver software, and let it update your software

Now, check for updates again in Settings, and see if it comes up again.

If I am helping you and I don't respond within 2 days, feel free to send me a PM

Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst 

Github | Keybase

#5 carbuff

carbuff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2015 - 01:39 AM

Thank you for your response.

I followed the procedure and got the message that the driver has been updated.   However, when I accessed the update screen through ALL SETTINGS, the same notification that an update was ready to install.    I pressed update and the circle began to spin  Again, nothing happened except the spinning circle

After 10 minutes, I shut down the procedure.

Edited by carbuff, 30 September 2015 - 01:41 AM.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 AM

Posted 30 September 2015 - 04:57 AM

If you go to the Microsoft Download Center ( https://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-us/d/lifecam-hd-3000 ) you'll notice that there are only drivers for W7 and earlier.
So, you have to wonder if this device is compatible w/W10.
Since you get the update message, you'd suspect that it was - BUT.....
What if the device has incompatibilities and is disabled by the OS

FWIW - you may be able to check this by opening up MSINFO32.exe and looking for ApphelpHardBlock errors in the WER section (you can search for ApphelpHardBlock in the Find dialog)

This means that a program has been blocked - but I haven't been able to figure out a way of telling which program :(

So, another way to test this is to download the latest version of the W7 driver from the above link and attempt to install it using Compatibility Mode for W7.

If it's successful, this may stop the update from appearing in the Windows Update list.

Finally, there's the possibility that this is a brand new driver and it may have issues with installing on your system.

In this case, let's try this:

There's not many experts at fixing Windows Updates.
I am not one of them.
But the few experts that there are a sorely overworked - so getting a reply will be difficult.
I'll continue to attempt to help here, but please bear with me.

First, please try the Windows Update troubleshooter/fixes listed here:
Windows Update Troubleshooter:  https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/gp/windows-update-issues/en-us
Windows Update Troubleshooter KB article:  https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2714434
Reset Windows Update Components KB article:  https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/971058

Please also run SFC.EXE /SCANNOW from an elevated (Run as adminstrator) Command Prompt

And run DISM: 

Then please run the following DISM commands to see if there's any problems with the system (from an elevated (Run as administrator) Command Prompt).  Press Enter after each one:

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

FYI - I have repaired systems using the last command even though problems weren't found with the first 2 - so I suggest running them all.

From this article: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh824869.aspx

Then, if that doesn't fix the Windows Update problem, please do the following 2 things. (copied from here:  http://www.sysnative.com/forums/windows-update/4736-windows-update-forum-posting-instructions.html ):

Run SFCFix

This free tool of neimiro's creation (see above link) is a very good starting point for the diagnosis and repair of all Windows Update and System File Checker corruptions. We therefore need you to run this tool prior to collecting logfiles.

-  First download and run a copy of the tool from http://www.sysnative.com/niemiro/apps/SFCFix.exe.
        -  Work through any on-screen prompts and then await completion (runtime is approximately 15 minutes).
        -  Once it has finished, if there are any unrepaired corruptions (the tool will notify you if it has succeeded in repairing all corruptions if they're simple in which case we're no longer needed) or unresolved problems with your computer, you need to post us the complete logfile which opens on exit. Simply copy (Ctrl-A, Ctrl-C) and paste (Ctrl-V) the entire logfile into your new thread (also know as a 'topic'). How to create a new thread is shown later on in this post.

Export CBS folder
NOTE:  This is not for me (I can't read them).  This is in case you decide to post in the OS forums asking for help from the experts. 

-  On Windows 8/10, press the Windows key, type This PC, and press Enter.
        -  On Windows Vista/7, click the Start button StartButton_16x16.gif then click Computer.
        -  Double-click on the C: drive, under the Hard Disk Drives category, and then scroll down to, and double click on the Windows folder.
        -  Find and double click on the Logs folder.
        -  Right-click on the CBS folder, and select Copy.
        -  Go back to your Desktop, right-click on it, and select Paste. You should now see a copy of the CBS folder appear on your Desktop called CBS.
        -  Right-click on this new folder, and navigate through Send to, and select Compressed (zipped) folder.
        -  A new file, also called CBS (CBS.zip), but this time with a different icon, will be created.

As for the first item (SFCFix), just copy and paste into your post as indicated.
For the second item (CBS log), if you'd like it analyzed, start a post in the OS forums, then zip it up and upload it with your next post there (it's not needed in this topic as I can't read it).
If it's too big to upload (or you get an error), just upload it to a free file hosting service (such as OneDrive or DropBox).  Ensure that it's shared and then post a link to it here.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 carbuff

carbuff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2015 - 06:24 AM

Thank you for the procedures.   Will check them out.

#8 carbuff

carbuff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2015 - 07:25 AM

The mystery deepens . . . .

Went back to try out the procedures recommended by usasma but first looked at the update screen.  Saw the “LifeCam update ready to update” message and then, the message disappeared.    I checked the update log and did not see that the LifeCam update had indeed been updated.

Waited for an hour and checked again.  The message no longer is present and I have no idea why or how this entire episode came about or ended.

Going to forget it and go on to other things.

Thanks for the help I received from posters.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users