Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

VM to Host Mail Enable and File Share

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 christopherpfinch

christopherpfinch

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 AM

Posted 28 September 2015 - 08:17 AM

Hi everyone,

This is really a two part question.

Is it a bad idea to create a virtual machine that hosts both mail enable for about 50 users, and a file share?

I'm going to only allow access to our resources via Remote Desktop. Should I just have a file share that store the MyDocs and the Desktop, or would I need to have a server that stored the entire profile?

Thanks in advance.

Chris

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2015 - 03:21 PM

You would make one vm for mail and a different vm for file sharing.  You should also have a vm for the RDP server.  You would do this due to size and recovery.

Do you understand the cost for having 50 RDP licenses?

Understand you lose the host machine you have lost them all.  Lots of memory and raided hard drives.

#3 christopherpfinch

christopherpfinch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2015 - 03:40 PM

You would make one vm for mail and a different vm for file sharing.  You should also have a vm for the RDP server.  You would do this due to size and recovery.

Awesome! I kind of thought so, but I wasn't sure. I've created 2 RDP VM's to share the load.

Do you understand the cost for having 50 RDP licenses?

I found this out about 3 weeks ago and almost had a heart attack!

Luckily we already had about 30 2008R2 licenses, so I only had to purchase 20 new licenses. It is still crazy expensive

Understand you lose the host machine you have lost them all.  Lots of memory and raided hard drives.

I have 8 3TB drives in a RAID 10 and I'm running 96Gb of RAM per host server.

I have the exact same server that I will be backing up to with the same hardware and setup. I was going to use Doubletake for backups, but the more I research the more I'm leaning towards Veeam. My only concern is that they charge per CPU, which I have 2 in each server. I think that means they'll charge for 4, which is a bit of a bummer.

Thanks for all of your help! 

Chris

#4 christopherpfinch

christopherpfinch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2015 - 03:51 PM

Any alternative thoughts on server backup and replication products Wand3r3r?

Like I said Veeam is pricey, but I feel that since we are virtualizing everything that I shouldn't skimp there. More than 30 minutes of downtime is crippling for us.

#5 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 PM

Posted 28 September 2015 - 04:54 PM

Mate i have 100K worth of server equipment in the server room and a Veeam server (Small IBM server worth 900 bucks) whicgh reoplicated everythign from the SAN to a small HP server (Also has ESXi on it) which is capible of running everything but it would be slow, who cares if its slow the main thing is you are still running.

This is my disaster recovery while we purchase new servers if we have a major meltdown.

You dont have to have 3 servers to host RDP, File sharing and mail its just recommended but seen as though you are hosting all on one VM host i see no issue as long as you replciate or have fault tolerance on.

But like i said if you have Veeam and seed replicate all day you could easily have all server side applications/services hosted on one server and if it dies, fire up the veeam server which has already replicated everythign to the second server, and as you said you have 2 physical hosts i think that would be worth it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users