Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MP5,1 new GPU not working

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 blainesweeney

blainesweeney

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 PM

Posted 28 September 2015 - 04:52 AM

Hi guys,

I have a mac pro mid 2010 5,1 that needed a better GPU to run resolve. I got a GTX780 ti but the Mac screen is black once its turned on. I realise I may not be in the right area for this but I'm desperate at this stage. Why is this happening, and once I get it ready, will it be compatible with resolve? I talked to a guy who mentioned openCL and Cuda? Bit lost..... Any help appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 AM

Posted 04 October 2015 - 01:22 PM

You can not use GPUs not authorized by Apple because unlike Windows, Mac has very specific graphics driver. You also voided the warranty because you opened it.

The best thing you can do is, put the older GPU back in the Mac Pro, or buy a new Mac Pro.

If I am helping you and I don't respond within 2 days, feel free to send me a PM

Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst 

Github | Keybase

#3 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 AM

Posted 09 October 2015 - 12:33 AM

You also voided the warranty because you opened it.

Not true. Not to mention that a 2010 Mac Pro would be WAY out of warranty anyway...even if one bought the AppleCare extended warranty.

Edited by smax013, 09 October 2015 - 12:34 AM.

#4 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 AM

Posted 09 October 2015 - 12:38 AM

Hi guys,

I have a mac pro mid 2010 5,1 that needed a better GPU to run resolve. I got a GTX780 ti but the Mac screen is black once its turned on. I realise I may not be in the right area for this but I'm desperate at this stage. Why is this happening, and once I get it ready, will it be compatible with resolve? I talked to a guy who mentioned openCL and Cuda? Bit lost..... Any help appreciated!

Where did you buy the graphics card? From just a "PC" store?

The problem is that unlike Windows machines, not all graphics cards are compatible with a Mac Pro. You have to buy a compatible graphics card. This page should help:

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/mac_pro/faq/mac-pro-default-graphics-cards-dvi-dual-link-mini-displayport.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users