Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 stuck in "preparing automatic repair" loop

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 jestah57

jestah57

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2015 - 02:30 AM

Started last night. Upon boot it goes to the "preparing automatic repair" screen, then to a "diagnosing your PC " screen,, then a "repairing disk errors, this may take up to an hour" screen. Which last for a few seconds, then it reboots and starts all over again.

I do not have a Bootable windows 10 disk, only my old windows 7 disk. And as always, would love to not have to lose files or programs....if anyone has a solution, has seen this before, any help would be greatly appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Richardf77

Richardf77

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 AM

Posted 28 September 2015 - 03:28 AM

This is similar to the problem i have had with one of my computers (see seperate thread). I ended up going around in circles before realising the only cure was a windows reset, ie reinstalling either 7 or 10 and start again. You may be able to reset and keep your data but in my case i couldnt. You say you havent got any recovery discs other than what came with the machine? If you search for 'windows 10 Media Creation Tool' you will find bootable reinstallation media for windows 10 either for DVD-R (needs to be dual layer as  a standard one isnt big enough) or for a usb 'stick'/flash drive. (at least 4GB capacity). I recomend the USB option. This will allow you to boot the machine and reload windows 10. If you prefer to go back to 7 you can do the same thing to reinstall 7. These bootable downloads also contain other recovery options which are worth trying but may not work if your problem is like mine

If you havent bcked up your data you may well end up loosing it in this process. A way around this is to download a 'Live CD' of a lixux based OS and make a bootable DVD. Dont install it, just run it and you will be able to access your data nd back it up or copy it to an external source (External hard drive  SD card etc).  Then you can proceed with the reinstall knowing your data is safe.

I hope this makes sense and helps in some way. Others may be able to help further, i have only learnt about this recently through hard experience!

#3 jestah57

jestah57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2015 - 10:25 AM

Thanks for the reply! I had my OS on an SSD...and i believe all my pictures, music, files, etc (except for some work i was doing, which i left on the desktop for easy access) on a sata/ide drive. If i i reinstall win7 from the disk, only the ssd should be overwritten correct? The data on the slave should be safe?

#4 Richardf77

Richardf77

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2015 - 12:48 PM

Should be if they are physically seperate drives, clean install should only affect the selected drive. If they are just 2 partitions of the same hdd then be more careful and backup first!

#5 jestah57

jestah57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2015 - 02:34 PM

Thanks Richard! I guess its back to Win7 for me for now. Sacrifice my desktop files. Damn i had work in progress there too.

Does anyone know what causes something like this? I read a few people for this by some kind of updates, but i don't recall anything updating for me on Saturday.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,297 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 PM

Posted 28 September 2015 - 04:02 PM

If you are talking about data files on the desktop, you do not have to sacrifice those as long as the disk in not bad. You can pull them off with a small linux distro and flash drive or by connecting the drive to another working computer. If you have another Windows 7 or 8 computer available you can use AoemiPE to build a bootable USB or disk with Windows explorer to copy your files from the drive.

Video on building the PE disk.

#7 Richardf77

Richardf77

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2015 - 05:28 PM

Well if you do a clean install of 7 you could still upgrade to 10 later if you want to try again. With a new installation of 7 the 10 upgrade might work better. Your previous 7 install might have had problems with it that caused the upgrade to fail. I think that's what happened to me.

#8 jestah57

jestah57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2015 - 11:58 PM

Well, i was using 10 for a while with no issues, suddenly saturday night this happened. The upgrade went fine, so did usability until this weekend. Lol..computers i guess....what can you do?

#9 Darkinmass

Darkinmass

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2016 - 08:56 PM

Ok, i have created the usb to try to recover from this, reset my bios to boot from the usb, and the system will not boot from the usb

any thoughts on why or what i can do to fix it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users