Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disconnecting from Every Online Game (Internet Connection Remaining Active)

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 thrashette

thrashette

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 PM

Posted 27 September 2015 - 11:25 PM

Hi, all! I've only begun experiencing this issue in the past month. I took a few months off from online gaming in general, and returned to strange connectivity issues. It's happened in FFXIV, Diablo 3, Path of Exile, and Borderlands 2. My internet's never been the best, a measly 3 mbps, but it's always been extremely stable while gaming until now. What happens is I will suddenly be disconnected from the game's servers. I'm not always running other applications, but when I am (Skype or Pandora through my browser,) I don't lose connection with those services. My internet doesn't really disconnect, but I can't keep in contact with the servers for long. This usually happens every 30 minutes or so. Connecting through a VPN (WTFast) helps it occur less, but it does happen from time to time. I've tried disabling my software firewall (AVG) but it doesn't help. The router firewall is disabled, and I've forwarded appropriate ports for the games I'm playing.

Granted, my router is VERY OLD. It's possible that it's failing, but I'd rather troubleshoot the issue before throwing money at the problem. It's a Westell A90-750015-07. My ISP is Verizon. I haven't contacted their support line because I don't pay the bill and I'm not sure if I can. In any event, I'd rather look into it myself first, but I'm really not sure where to start. Nothing unusual turns up in Netalyzr reports or tracerts to game servers. I'm not experiencing packet loss and my ping remains very stable. It doesn't even spike before the disconnection occurs.

I view every technical hiccup as a learning experience-- so if anyone could provide me with a starting point, I'd really appreciate it!

Edit: I've also checked for malware with MWB and AVG and everything's clean.

Edit 2: This is happening over a wired connection. I don't have any other devices to test otherwise... my desktop does not support Wifi.

Edited by thrashette, 27 September 2015 - 11:29 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users