Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Seagate 8TB - Lost The Plot ?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,050 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 AM

Posted 27 September 2015 - 09:28 PM

So i bought a Seagate 8TB Enterpise drive to Backup everything i have on other external drives.

2 x 2TB / 3 x 1TB / 1 x 500G.

All files are Docs / Vids / Music / Image Backups / etc.

So i formatted the drive as GPT and 1 partition and no issues.

On PC Desktop - Win 7 Ultimate 64 Bit / Easy Swap Caddy Racks.

Then i created Folders on the 8TB for each of the other Drives that im going to copy over.

First Drive - No Issues. / and 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 = no issues.{ 2 days to complete } 

On the third day i copied the last drive and all went well until ..........

1/ If i open a Movie File on last Drive added,   it brings up a different file all together ? ...Like a TV Series Episode.

So im assuming corruption somewhere.

2/ So i slaved the 8TB to my laptop and same thing , and these drives sound noisy when searching , although it was on 

a timber coffee table , and maybe because its an internal drive not encased.

3/ Either way - i have reformatted it and going to double check after each smaller drives have been copied over

and ensure all is well after each one.  { Another 3 Days } Ah Well.

4/ Should i partition the 8TB into smaller chunks or have i missed something , all the other drives operate correctly and no 

issues with those and only ever used for storage and backups.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 PM

Posted 28 September 2015 - 10:56 AM

Can you access these files and run them on the computer in which this HDD is installed?  

You don't need to partition the HDD into smaller partitions.  The only thing this would accomplish would be a faster read and write speed.  But I doubt seriously you would notice the difference.

Edit:  What is the make and model of the computer with problematic HDD, and what operating system are you running?

Edited by dc3, 28 September 2015 - 10:57 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 PM

Posted 28 September 2015 - 11:15 AM

One other benefit of partitioning...I imagine it would take Windows a number of hours to run chkdsk /r or defrag or for any security program to scan an 8TB partition, so I would not create one humongous partition out of an 8TB drive.  That's based on how long I have seen these processses take on a 1TB partition.

There is no logical reason for a Windows partition to be more than 100GB, IMO.  Data partitions can/should be of any size...size on those only matter when/if someone is trying to clone or backup, IMO.

Louis

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2015 - 11:42 AM

Havachat wrote:

"So i bought a Seagate 8TB Enterpise drive to Backup everything i have on other external drives."

Unless I'm reading this wrong it looks like Havachat already has the operating system install on another drive and intends to use the 8TB HDD for backing up data from his other HDDs.  He doesn't mention anything about installing an operating system on the 8TB HDD.

Even if Havachat decides to break this into smaller partitions it will take for ever to run chkdsk as it will go through each partition unless they select a specific partition.  Even if he creates eight partitions this will take a very long time which you are aware of from your own experience.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 PM

Posted 28 September 2015 - 03:00 PM

Chkdsk...runs on a given partition.  Always has.  You have to select the partition if you want chkdsk to run on any partition other than the Windows partition, which is the default.

That's why each partition offers graphical chkdsk and defrag functions via the Properties settings.

It's a file system tool...not a hard drive diagnostic.  A hard drive diagnostic (e.g. GSmart) checks the entire drive for functionality and is unconcerned with partitions.

Louis

#6 jcgriff2

jcgriff2

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 1,081 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 PM

Posted 28 September 2015 - 03:01 PM

Why not FAT32 or NTFS?

I have an external HDD with both formats.

Edited by jcgriff2, 28 September 2015 - 03:01 PM.

Microsoft MVP 2009-2015
Microsoft Windows Insider MVP 2018 - Present

#7 Havachat

Havachat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,050 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2015 - 03:12 AM

dc3 Wrote :

Can you access these files and run them on the computer in which this HDD is installed? 

DC3 - i can run all the files etc from the Drive i am copying from , and the PC is My build - Asus M2N32 SLI Deluxe / 4G Corsair Ram / ATI R4850 - 512MB.

I have no issues with the PC and its WIN 7 64bit and Drive 80G { Operating System Only }.

I have 2 caddy racks installed and load one with the 8TB and the other with previous backup drive eg: 2TB and then just copy over to 8TB.

The problem was only on last drive { Movies } that  i copied over to 8TB - { In Created Folder } , that when i played a certain movie file - it actually played a 

TV Series episode ? from another folder .....so yeh weird !

Hence why i have started re doing it all once again and seeing what happens.

jcgriff2 Wrote:

Why not FAT32 or NTFS?

On initilizing the New 8TB Drive -  it didnt allow as MBR and after some web reading i chose as GPT as others quoted.

And i read it as full 8TB wont be shown in certain instances  http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/006125en?language=en_US

All went fine initially and today on checking properties of the drive it does show as NTFS.

The drive is only for backups of other external drives and isnt going to be accessed all the time , just added to when needed.

Edited by Havachat, 29 September 2015 - 03:14 AM.

#8 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,406 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2015 - 07:58 AM

Why not FAT32 or NTFS?

GPT (GUID Partition Table) is a partition type used to exceed the MBR type's limit of 2.2TB capacity, whereas FAT32 and NTFS are file systems.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#9 Havachat

Havachat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,050 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2015 - 02:31 AM

Why not FAT32 or NTFS?

GPT (GUID Partition Table) is a partition type used to exceed the MBR type's limit of 2.2TB capacity, whereas FAT32 and NTFS are file systems.

Thanks Platypus , for the clarfication on the format type , so indeed what as i read was correct.

Ive got 3 drives to still do of the 6 , and so far after each of the 3 alls well.

Will update further if initial issue re - occurs when done or all goes well.

#10 Havachat

Havachat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,050 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2015 - 05:30 AM

Well finished all the Drives {6} to the 8 TB . after the the 2nd reformatting and all went well .

All files are working and no corruption as before with them as per directories path.

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2015 - 01:57 PM

Happy computing!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users