Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Seemingly random reboots

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 MadCityKaren

MadCityKaren

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 AM

Posted 27 September 2015 - 08:32 PM

I have a fairly new (to me) laptop -- purchased from a big box store earlier this month and not set up until 2 weeks ago today.  I'm noting some random shut downs (no BSOD/just black screen) and reboot; this has only happened a few times, but it is while I'm actively utilizing the laptop.  I'm not sure what's going on.

Before running the Sysnative File Collection App, I'd also ran an event log, but noticed there were 'events' going back to November 2014 -- well before I purchased the laptop; guessing this is a refurbished laptop.  (Unfortunately, I was not allowed to attached the event log to this post ...  :o  )

The PERFMON System Health Report wouldn't run (error message reads as follows, despite having run the command prompt as Admin):

Error:

An error occured while attempting to generate the report.

The operator or administrator has refused the request.

OS - Windows 8.1
· x86 (32-bit) or x64 ?  Appears to be 64
· What was original installed OS on system?  Win 8.1
· Is the OS an OEM version (came pre-installed on system) or full retail version (YOU purchased it from retailer)?  preinstalled
· Age of system (hardware):  not sure
· Age of OS installation - have you re-installed the OS?  uncertain; have not reinstalled

· CPU:  AMD A8-6410 APU with AMD Radeon R5 Graphics 2.0 GHz
· Video Card: not sure
· MotherBoard - (if NOT a laptop) -- laptop

· System Manufacturer:  Toshiba
· Exact model number (if laptop, check label on bottom):  Satellite C75D-B7202

· Laptop or Desktop?  Laptop

Attached Files

Those who danced were thought to be quite insane,
by those who do not hear the music ...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 PM

Posted 28 September 2015 - 02:08 AM

:step1: Can you monitor the hardware temperature so as to confirm it's not a thermal issue? Was Mcafee previously installed and have you used the removal tool to get rid of the remnants completely?

:step2: Turn off automatic restart in Windows to be able to generate a bsod bugcheck code.

:step3: Do you have the latest correct/latest AMD display driver for your Toshiba laptop? http://support.toshiba.com/support/modelHome?freeText=1200010611

Tekken

#3 MadCityKaren

MadCityKaren
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2015 - 05:54 PM

1. Downloaded SpeedFan which shows:

HD0:      36C

Temp1:  46C

GPU:     47C

Core:     49C

1.  McAfee was previously installed; I uninstalled it previously -- in looking about today, I did find an 'app' for it and have removed that.  I've searched the computer and find no other McAfee files.  

2.  I'm not certain I follow this request: I can turn off the automatic restart in Windows, but to "generate a bsod bugcheck code" are you asking that I run the Sysnative File Collection App again once I've turned off the auto restart?  (Before I continue I want to make certain I'm on the 'same page' with you.)  

3.  Downloading the latest display driver currently ... 

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2015 - 04:21 AM

1. Ok good, now we can rest assure that Mcafee is out of the loop.

2. It was meant to generate a BSOD as disabling auto restart would direct your computer to the error code which could give us a hint of where the random reboot is coming from.

3. Let us know of the result. :thumbup2:

Tekken

#5 MadCityKaren

MadCityKaren
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2015 - 05:59 PM

Thanks.  I turned off the automatic restart and nothing happened (no error code was generated); I've re-engaged automatic restart as that doesn't seem to be the issue, but if I need to disable it again, let me know.  

#6 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2015 - 09:31 PM

That's ok. I was expecting a 50/50 chance by that windows auto restart option. :thumbup2: Did you ever tried reinstalling or factory resetting the laptop being a refurbished computer? This would give us a hint that the preinstalled condition of the currently running OS is not having this behavior before you have obtained it to rule out a hardware to software problem including an RMA in case it's still under warranty depending of your retailer's policy. As usual, backup everything before proceeding with my suggestion. Any bloatwares or unnecessary programs can be removed or post back here if the problem is still present or not.

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users