Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do I Make Win10 Go Away?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 hedera

hedera

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 PM

Posted 27 September 2015 - 07:25 PM

Like many Win7 users, when Win10 was announced, I signed up for the free license on both my boxes, an Asus desktop and a Lenovo laptop, both running Win7 Pro 64 bit.  While waiting for it to appear, I read a lot of discussion, and finally concluded that I didn't want to install Win10 on my current boxes, because they are running just fine on Win7 Pro.  I recently spent a couple of hours teaching a friend how to find her way around her new Win10 laptop, which reinforced my decision.

When Win10 came up on my desktop, I followed advice I got from Tim Fisher at About.com, and uninstalled and hid KB3035583.  I haven't seen any prompts for Win10 on the desktop since.

Some weeks later, Win10 popped up on my laptop, and I can't get it to go away.  I've uninstalled and hidden KB3035583, but the "install Windows 10" prompt came back.  The second line of defense recommended was to uninstall and hide KB2952664, but I can't do that.  I've uninstalled it, and rebooted, at least 3 times, and every time I come back to check the KB and hide it, there it is.  I also have a c:\$Windows.~BT directory on my laptop.  Tim Fisher's team said that means the Win10 installation files have already been downloaded pushed to my laptop, and I should delete the directory, and then uninstall and hide KB2952664.  But I can't delete it, even from an admin account - and I read your tutorial which says this directory isn't the install files, it's the backup of my old files and configuration from the install.  Except that I haven't run the install.  I'm really confused, and I just want Windows 10 to go away. I attach the error I get when I try to delete the directory; I got it even when I tried to use Unlocker on it.  I've hidden the "install Windows 10" update, and it seems to be staying gone, but with that KB still there, I'm nervous.   I would greatly appreciate help.  

If this is unsuitable for the Windows 10 forums please feel free to move it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mainer21

mainer21

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 PM

Posted 27 September 2015 - 08:15 PM

How to Uninstall Windows 10 and Downgrade to Windows 7 or 8.1.

http://www.howtogeek.com/220723/how-to-uninstall-windows-10-and-downgrade-to-windows-7-or-8.1/

How to Stop Windows 7 or 8 from Downloading Windows 10 Automatically

http://www.howtogeek.com/228551/how-to-stop-windows-7-or-8-from-downloading-windows-10-automatically/

#3 hedera

hedera
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2015 - 12:27 AM

Thanks very much, I'll follow that up!

#4 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 PM

Posted 28 September 2015 - 01:23 AM

Hi, hedera,

For Win7 Pro, there is a KB which will stop future notifications of Win10.  Latest BC post I wrote on it is in Step #4  here, replete with video whose descriptions take you to the actual KB3050265 itself where you can download, and then make the change.  You might already have it on your machine, though when I updated my 64-bit Pro last week, it still didn't show up.  Or, you can just search on the KB number in Google and do the gpedit.msc steps it outlines (the KB offers three different ways of preventing further GWX notifications, but gpedit.msc is the easiest).

History of the other BC posts on this same topic is long, but I tried to collate the major ones, here

Thanks very much, I'll follow that up!

Edited by brainout, 28 September 2015 - 01:28 AM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#5 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 PM

Posted 28 September 2015 - 02:14 AM

How to manage Windows 10 notification and upgrade options
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3080351

With Win 7 PRO & ULT you can disable the upgrade through Group Policy Editor (Start> Run> gpedit.msc)

Computer Configuration
To block the upgrade by using Computer Configuration, follow these steps

Double-click Computer Configuration.
    Double-click Administrative Templates.
    Double-click Windows Components.
    Double-click Windows Update.
    Double-click Turn off the upgrade to the latest version of Windows through Windows Update.
    Click Enable.

EDIT: You can delete the $WINDOWS.~BT folder using disk clean up > Windows button+R and type %windir%\system32\cleanmgr.exe in the run box, allow it to scan the drive. Once it’s finished scanning, click the ‘Clean up System files’ (run as Administrator) button and allow it to scan your drive one more time:

IisuOb8.png

Once the scan finishes, look for and check the ‘Temporary Windows installation files’ (I think?) option. It may be pretty big in size. Click OK & then click Delete files.

Hope this helps :)

Edited by Union_Thug, 28 September 2015 - 02:44 AM.

#6 hedera

hedera
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2015 - 01:56 PM

brainout, I thoroughly enjoyed the rant on your video and I REALLY appreciate the time you took to do this, and document it, at 5 in the morning!  I've now done the policy edit and run the update executable, and am waiting for the disk scanner.

Since I don't support clients (I'm retired), I don't have quite your security concerns.  I'd like your opinion on some of the posts I've seen about turning off Win10's tendency to share local data - can one actually do this??  I haven't checked now because I intend to keep Win7 on both my boxes until I need to replace the systems; but sooner or later I'll probably buy one or more new computers and they'll probably be win10.

#7 hedera

hedera
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2015 - 02:02 PM

Union_Thug, I ran the disk cleanup but it didn't show me the admin "clean up system files" button.  It didn't even show when I ran the utility from the search bar as administrator.  What am I doing wrong??

I just answered this myself and it is as weird as Microsoft gets:

You only get the Clean up system files button if you run Disk Cleaner from the Click to open Disk Cleaner link in the help file you get when you click on How does disk cleanup work, at the bottom of the Disk Cleaner window!  Bizarre.

Edited by hedera, 28 September 2015 - 02:12 PM.

#8 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 PM

Posted 28 September 2015 - 02:07 PM

Union_Thug, I ran the disk cleanup but it didn't show me the admin "clean up system files" button.  It didn't even show when I ran the utility from the search bar as administrator.  What am I doing wrong??

I believe the "clean up system files" button will NOT show if you have UAC (User Account Control) totally disabled. Run it again and take a screenshot of the results, I'll take a look... I'll be online almost all afternoon (it's 3 PM here)

"U_T"

#9 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2015 - 02:20 PM

@hedera:  Well, in Win10 you'd right click on Desktop, Personalize, Settings and then look for Privacy.  It will take you a good hour or more to click on every bit of text (since they don't make the links obvious) and turn all the settings OFF.  Then you also have to right click on the Start Button and look left for the Cortana settings, turn off  'web' for search.

But it's too late,  you signed the EULA when you installed Win10, so data will be collected anyway, to fulfill Paragraph 2 and 3 of the aka.ms/msa which is incorporated by reference into Win10 EULA Paragraphs 1 and 14.  You can find this EULA by typing 'winver.exe' in the Start/Search box, or by going to \Windows\System32\license.rtf and reading the rtf.  Search on aka to see all the other links which are incorporated by reference into the EULA.  The two biggies are aka.ms/msa and aka.ms/privacy .  I posted a summary thread on these with their links, here.

And I'm glad you enjoyed the rant, but I hated doing that.  I'm a Windows junkie.  I feel like one of my best friends has been maimed.  Legally, it's a disaster for anyone who corresponds with anyone who uses anything covered under aka.ms/msa , like Office 365 or Win10.

brainout, I thoroughly enjoyed the rant on your video and I REALLY appreciate the time you took to do this, and document it, at 5 in the morning!  I've now done the policy edit and run the update executable, and am waiting for the disk scanner.

Since I don't support clients (I'm retired), I don't have quite your security concerns.  I'd like your opinion on some of the posts I've seen about turning off Win10's tendency to share local data - can one actually do this??  I haven't checked now because I intend to keep Win7 on both my boxes until I need to replace the systems; but sooner or later I'll probably buy one or more new computers and they'll probably be win10.

Edited by brainout, 28 September 2015 - 02:22 PM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#10 hedera

hedera
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2015 - 01:10 PM

@brainout, I wanted to tell you:  I ran gpedit and then gpupdate on my laptop, and then used the disk cleaner to get rid of the hidden folder.  In the last patch on my laptop, yesterday, I got KB2952664 again, which I had to hide again.  I also got 2 new KBs which the article in InfoWorld suggested might be best hidden:  http://www.infoworld.com/article/2992476/microsoft-windows/what-happened-to-windows-patches-kb-2999226-and-kb-3083710.html

Here are the 2 KBs I also hid:

It begins to look like the price of liberty from Win10 is eternal vigilance.

#11 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,016 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 PM

Posted 15 October 2015 - 01:19 PM

hedera, don't try to catch the update every time it tries to download and hide it then, stop it before it can get that far. Set your updates so they "check automatically but ask me whether to download". Then each tuesday evening/wednesday morning go to "widnows update" in "control panel", see what updates are being offered, install the ones which actually patch security flaws (those named "Security Update for ...") and any which fix bugs you've suffered, ignore the rest, hide them if you like, or don't hide them because either way so long as you utick the unwanted ones when you install putting your updates on "check automatically but ask me whether to download" ensures they won't download. You may have to be eternally vigilant, but fortunately only once a week, not constantly. Put yourself in control of updates then be very careful about which you allow to download.
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#12 hedera

hedera
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2015 - 02:01 PM

There is that; but it's SUCH a PITA to have to do that every time.  And I can't tell which KBs are real security updates and which are Win10 pushes; at least 3 of the suspect KBs just say, "Security update for Windows 7 64-bit" or words to that effect.  This would mean I'd have to research every blessed KB on the list.  There has to be an easier way.

Do you know anything about a tool called GWX Control Panel?  A tech I know in another thread has recommended installing it to keep Win10 away.  I did just do the gpedit.msc and gpupdate.exe on my desktop, and I'm going to use disk cleanup to blow away the hidden folder.  I'm hoping that'll be all; but it wasn't on the laptop.

#13 Jaycan

Jaycan

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 AM

Posted 15 October 2015 - 10:35 PM

Do you know anything about a tool called GWX Control Panel?

This is what you are asking about GWX Control Panel 1.3.0.0 Free Download

I was helped by others here to find and delete this...

KB2976978, KB2952664, KB2990214,
KB3035583, KB3068708,  KB3021917, KB3050265, KB3014460, KB3044374
KB3050267, KB3022345, KB3075249, KB3080149

Enter these one at a time (or copy and paste) into the box at the top R.H.S. wait 30 seconds to see if it is recognized, then do the next one.

Some are Win 7 and some are Win 8  and some are both.

I think I am cleaned from it now, as it never wants to start every time I turn on like it did at the beginning.

Good Luck.

Edited by Jaycan, 15 October 2015 - 10:47 PM.

Acer Computer with LG Monitor and Toshiba Laptop with Windows 7.1

Windows 64bit  8.1 - Always fully updated

Firefox / Google Chrome / Internet Explorer Browsers

Usually a home helper here or with friends and nimble fingered ladies who would rather sew or dust, but not clean the bugs out of a computer ...

#14 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 995 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2015 - 05:06 AM

hedera, don't try to catch the update every time it tries to download and hide it then, stop it before it can get that far. Set your updates so they "check automatically but ask me whether to download". Then each tuesday evening/wednesday morning go to "widnows update" in "control panel", see what updates are being offered, install the ones which actually patch security flaws (those named "Security Update for ...") and any which fix bugs you've suffered, ignore the rest, hide them if you like, or don't hide them because either way so long as you utick the unwanted ones when you install putting your updates on "check automatically but ask me whether to download" ensures they won't download. You may have to be eternally vigilant, but fortunately only once a week, not constantly. Put yourself in control of updates then be very careful about which you allow to download.

So I've been following the great advice here at Bleeping and blocked/uninstalled the first go round but then finally got hijacked yesterday (Oct. 15th) when I selected only the Important Updates....arrrgghh  :ranting: and then up popped the Windows 10 icon.

It's good advice to review your updates, but I think it's fair that you should not have to look over Important ones.

It really has become tedious this whole roll out.

Okay, rant over.

Let the other rants begin.  :)

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

#15 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 995 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2015 - 10:26 AM

Do you know anything about a tool called GWX Control Panel?

This is what you are asking about GWX Control Panel 1.3.0.0 Free Download

I've used this app now on two Win 7 Home Premium machines, one that installed the initial dreaded KB3035583 and one that didn't.

Even after several days and a couple of reboots, it seems to working like a charm.

The developer does not that this is an ongoing process and a new version may need to be downloaded, depending on what 'mistake' micro$oft makes next in an effort to shove this thing down everyone's throat.

Winterland

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users