Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Have you ever asked your self where the CLOUD is

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 dannyboy950

dannyboy950

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 AM

Posted 27 September 2015 - 04:16 PM

Some people say it is everywhere and nowhere at the same time. A place that doesn't really exist.

Yet maybe millions of people are willing to trust unknown parties with all their private information.
I mean I have no trade secrets or sensitive information but it is my information and I should be able to only share it with those I choose to or not to share at all. My choice and mine alone to make.

Now somewhere in the world there are actual computers that this data is kept on and supposedly protected.  How good is their protection how well do they monitor it? How safe are they really?

The answer to that and who THEY even are and where they are few even know or apparently care.
Yet many will go with flow maintain the status quo and never question.

Not if I can help it, no thanks.

Mod Edit: Moved to General Chat ~~ boopme

Edited by boopme, 27 September 2015 - 05:46 PM.

HP 15-f009wm notebook AMD-E1-2100 APV 1Ghz Processor 8 GB memory 500 GB Hdd

Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Cinamon

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 softeyes

softeyes

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 AM

Posted 27 September 2015 - 08:32 PM

The "cloud(s)" I enjoy are reliable and in the sky! When in doubt..don't feel the urgency to follow. Life can be full, without participating in all app opportunities! Just my opinion and my personal pleasure!

#3 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2015 - 10:29 AM

It is a little sad that this got moved because this is a Win 10 thing by default.

90% of the users of 10 will not even know that 10 sets up that ability by default when it installs.

Many do not even know places like this even exist, or that there is a need for them.

Knowledgeable users are still in the minority most people just want to be able to read their e-mail and type a letter or search and find out information without having to become some kind of computer wizard.

That unknowing 90% also buy most of the computers and hardware and software and products advertised on the net.

Heaven forbid they should actually expect the stuff to actually work and get some value for the money they spent.

#4 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 AM

Posted 28 September 2015 - 03:58 PM

#5 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,527 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 AM

Posted 28 September 2015 - 04:04 PM

what happens if the cloud rains?

[https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#safe=strict&q=datacloud+company+hacked+went+out+of+business]

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#6 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2015 - 07:05 PM

I hope I am not alive when they finaly get things working the way they want. But at the rate it is going I may be.

What a hackers ultimate dream come true already created up and running and all they have to do is break in and use the existing infrastructure. Literally a million computer possible bot-net they have to be foaming at the mouth just thinking about all the possibilities.

#7 Guest_JWebb_*

Guest_JWebb_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 29 September 2015 - 08:06 PM

My cloud used to be on my personal AT&T ftp server.

Then AT&T made me upgrade to fios and my ftp link went down permanently.  When I called for support no one even knew what an ftp server was but for $10 an hour they would try to get my files back.

Now my cloud is dropbox.

#8 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,336 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2015 - 09:52 PM

No, because I see the infrastructure, that makes up a tiny fraction of the worldwide 'cloud', every day. I don't keep anything irreplaceable or personally sensitive in the cloud. All that gets backed up to offline removable external drives. Which are then stored elsewhere. Anything 'in the cloud' is duplicated to multiple hosts plus backed up locally. As well as onto thumb drives I carry. The key words being extreme redundancy. I have personally dealt with single point of failure myself and at the corporate level. Not pretty or even slightly fun at any level. Just sayin.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#9 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,527 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2015 - 03:37 AM

JWebb, tell me more about your personal ftp server!  Long ago, I was using ftp a lot to download free and pay-for programs.  How did you get the backup and restore process going?  I'm curious.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#10 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 AM

Posted 30 September 2015 - 10:57 AM

The whole Internet is a Cloud.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#11 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,022 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2015 - 11:38 AM

Post #8. "The key words being extreme redundancy!"

Very wise indeed. Never let data be stored ONLY on cloud servers, make sure you have several copies of it yourself too.

Also for those concerned about privacy risks to data uploaded into the cloud consider encrypting the data first using some sort of program which can make encrypted archives for files, then upload the encrypted archive, obviously making sure it's password is not the same as your login password for your cloud account. That way, whatever happens, all the cloud server, or anyone who hacked it, could see would be an encrypted archive of X megabytes/kilobyts/gigabytes size, with no way of knowing what is inside.

If only the data you choose to upload to the cloud is uploaded (in effect this means you use a webpage viewed through a browser as your interface to upload and download files), and anythign really private is first encrypted, and everything in the cloud is also backed up on a storage device you have control of, then there is nothing to fear from "the cloud". But let your ONLY copy of a particular file be in the cloud, let something really private be uploaded without being first encryptd by yourself or have the cloud "built into" your computer and uploading everything(rather than accessed through the browser when you need it) and problems can occur.

Edited by rp88, 30 September 2015 - 11:38 AM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#12 softeyes

softeyes

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 AM

Posted 30 September 2015 - 03:14 PM

I'm feeling quite naieve here..what is so critical in day-to-day computing that the <cloud> is so essential?  I'm reading far too many steps I need to be involved with, to store or access <what> in the <cloud>?

Teach me..what am I missing?

#13 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,125 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2015 - 03:38 PM

The Cloud!  Is where big biz blows smoke when you are not looking :censored:

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#14 Guest_JWebb_*

Guest_JWebb_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 30 September 2015 - 04:07 PM

JWebb, tell me more about your personal ftp server!  Long ago, I was using ftp a lot to download free and pay-for programs.  How did you get the backup and restore process going?  I'm curious.

I didn't use it for a complete backup, just for storing and synchronizing files between computers.  I accessed it through Windows explorer but a web browser could access it too.

#15 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2015 - 04:16 PM

I'm feeling quite naieve here..what is so critical in day-to-day computing that the <cloud> is so essential?

If there was no Cloud, basically there would be no Internet :P

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users