Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Must Run XP pro 32bit Sp3.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Pentodes

Pentodes

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 PM

Posted 27 September 2015 - 02:31 PM

I must run XP pro 32 bit Sp3 for my PCB cad programs and general home office type use - no gaming, not into videos.

I was looking at a new build using a Gigabyte GA-F2A88x (ATX size) mobo along with a AMD A6-5400K dual core Trinity APU.... will this run my XP pro 32bit with Sp3???

Sometime later I will swap the os for maybe a 64bit os either Windows or Linux, thus the reason I will be getting 8 Gb of RAM. I am aware of RAM limitation with 32 bit operating systems.

Will this cater for my needs? I would be happy to here if there is anything better without going OTT. I really do think a 4 core would be wasted since I do not play game or watch videos.... except U tube clips etc, etc., I do do generals snaps and my single core AMD 2000+ caters excellently.

Yes I am aware that some pages will not load properly I put that down to my CPU instructions.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Dave

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,369 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 PM

Posted 27 September 2015 - 08:24 PM

Do you have a current machine capable of running a win xp virtual machine? If so that would be cheaper and more secure. If you really need a new machine, you might want to use linux or modern windows, but I would not use xp as your daily driver.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#3 Pentodes

Pentodes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2015 - 09:21 PM

I'm running XP pro right now, I was planning another build.... as said may move to a 64 bit o/s at a later date and Linux is a big possibility - I am aware of the RAM limitations.

I was keeping an open mind in using a caddy, I dunno yet.

Dave

#4 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,182 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2015 - 09:47 PM

You should be able to install Windows XP on the proposed PC.  There are drivers available.  The amount of new hardware that supports XP is shrinking.  I think personally, rather than run it as a main operating system, due to security vulnerabilities which will never now be patched, I'd prefer to use it in a Virtual Machine, which you can do in either Windows or Linux.  Does your CAD program rely on any special hardware or is it just dependent on Windows XP?

7sbvuf-6.png

#5 Pentodes

Pentodes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2015 - 04:09 AM

Thanks all, especially jonuk76.

The cad program is Proteus by Labcenter.... I never tried this on any other platform, no reason why it shouldn't. Should anything happen to this machine a Gigabyte GA7 AXP, with a 2000+ AMD I'd be a bit snookered all round, at least this way I would have a working machine plus I'd be able to experiment by swapping drives.

I really don't see the idea of some of these OEM manufacturers, they put a back up image on the very same drive with the o/s.... now if that drive goes 'kaputt', we all know hard drives don't like being dropped - no back up no machine. I learned to keep back ups AND a clone the hard way and never looked back since. So, you can guess that in my 'play around' I'll be doing it on a spare drive and I'll be able to carry on until a bolt of lightening hits the CPU..... then I'll have to get the knitting out.

Thanks, best regards. Matter closed.

Dave

#6 Pentodes

Pentodes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2015 - 04:10 AM

Thanks all, especially jonuk76.

The cad program is Proteus by Labcenter.... I never tried this on any other platform, no reason why it shouldn't. Should anything happen to this machine a Gigabyte GA7 AXP, with a 2000+ AMD I'd be a bit snookered all round, at least this way I would have a working machine plus I'd be able to experiment by swapping drives.

I really don't see the idea of some of these OEM manufacturers, they put a back up image on the very same drive with the o/s.... now if that drive goes 'kaputt', we all know hard drives don't like being dropped - no back up no machine. I learned to keep back ups AND a clone the hard way and never looked back since. So, you can guess that in my 'play around' I'll be doing it on a spare drive and I'll be able to carry on until a bolt of lightening hits the CPU..... then I'll have to get the knitting out.

Thanks, best regards. Matter closed.

Dave

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users