Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems with Broadband connection

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 clayto

clayto

• Members
  • 475 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 PM

Posted 27 September 2015 - 01:48 PM

My Wi-Fi broadband connection has become increasingly unstable recently, since installing Window 10 which may or may not be the cause (I was starting to have problems before the upgrade).

I used to have the  connection failing about once a day and was able to restore it in a couple of minutes with the automated diagnostics and troubleshooter, which usually reset the Wi-Fi adapter.
Now it happens every few minutes, with occasional longer spells, plus the repair has become more difficult, requiring repeated attempts with all the tools available, repeatedly clicking 'enable', plus disconnecting the router.

What has made it worse is that since the upgrade the reliability of the notifications has plummeted.  Frequently one part of the system, for example Settings says 'connected' at the same time as another part says 'disconnected' or 'disabled'. The taskbar icon cannot now be relied on to give a correct indication of the status, showing 'on' when in fact connection to the internet is 'off'.

A recent report says: connection between access point, router or cable and internet is broken; problem with wireless adapter or access point; default gateway is not available.  All three were shown as 'not fixed'. A temporary issue seems to be that the computer was trying to connect to a hotspot, not my home Wi-Fi network.  However, when this was corrected the problems dealt with above continued.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 27 September 2015 - 02:46 PM.
moved from Web Browsing/Email and Other Internet Applications to Networking

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 masterthemachines

masterthemachines

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 AM

Posted 27 September 2015 - 03:35 PM

Hello there,

Have you tried updating your wireless adapters? If not, follow these simple steps:

1. Click on the "Start" button
2. Then click "Control Panel"
3. Now click on "System and Security"
4. Under "System", click on "Device Manager"
5. Double click "Network Adapters", right-click your adapter, and then click "Properties"
6. Click the "Driver" tab, and then click "Update Driver"

Hope this helps! 

#3 scotv

scotv

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 PM

Posted 28 September 2015 - 03:56 AM

It could be a driver update problem as suggested above or could be configuration issue.

Check DNS servers in your router configuration. I had a similar issue when upgrading from Win 8 to 10 and got it fixed by updating DNS provided by my ISP.

Scot V

Marketing Head

Member- DSIM

Fastest Web Browser for Windows

#4 clayto

clayto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 475 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2015 - 09:06 AM

Driver is up to date (I usually get this, am I right in presuming it is because most of my drivers are dated 2014?)

So, how do I check DNS servers?  While awaiting a reply I will do a search.

#5 clayto

clayto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 475 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2015 - 12:21 PM

"The computer appears to be Correctly configured, but the device or resource (DNS service) is not responding."  This is from a report a little while ago.  Does it offer any insight? 

#6 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2015 - 03:29 PM

Just means when it went to make a dns request as a test no one answered.  This indicates a broken or insufficient connection.

Download xirrus wifi inspector and post a screen shot of what is sees for local channel utilization in your area.

#7 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 AM

Posted 28 September 2015 - 03:36 PM

My DSL modem/router sometimes simply stops functioning, Service is either still green or glows red.  Clayto, have you had your modem/router checked?

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#8 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,034 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 PM

Posted 28 September 2015 - 06:39 PM

@ clayto, Follow the instructions on THIS PAGE, please

This will switch your DNS lookup to Google DNS, and will at least take that possibility out of the equation.

@ Wand3r3r, xirrus wifi inspector is not recommended for Win 10....yet.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#9 clayto

clayto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 475 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2015 - 12:22 PM

I tried the Google DNS fix and thought it had worked as I did not have disconnections for two days. I posted a message to this effect which has not appeared, probably because WiFi has started to disconnect fairly frequently today. So far it has been quite easy to reconnect.

What should I try now?

#10 clayto

clayto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 475 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2015 - 02:22 PM

Connection now lost completely. This is sent from my Phone...so the fault must be with my Tablet.
Connection now lost completely. This is sent from my Phone...so the fault must be with my Tablet.

#11 clayto

clayto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 475 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2015 - 03:19 PM

I dont know why that got repeated. At the moment (it probably is just a moment) I am back connected with the Tablet again. Does the fact that the fault must lie with the Tablet, ie. the Windows 10 installation not the router or broadband service, help at all?

#12 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,034 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 PM

Posted 03 October 2015 - 07:56 PM

Credit and Thanks to DC3 for the content of this post.

Click on the Windows key windowskey_zps092d5c75.png and the X key at the same time.

In the menu that opens select Device Manager.

When the Device Manager opens scroll down to Network adapters and click on the diamond on the left to open this.

Right click on your network adapter and select Properties.

Click/tap on the Driver tab, then select Update driver.

If it doesn't find a newer driver uninstall the driver, restart the computer and a new driver will be installed.  The old one could be corrupt.

If this doesn't work, please to the following.  I have not taken the time to write these instructions for Windows 8.1, but I'm sure you can figure out how to do this.

Windows Repair (All in one)

Please download and install Windows Repair (All in one).

Notice:  This will take a long time to run, please allow for at least an hour for this to complete.  Stopping this can cause damage to the operating system. 

When you open the Windows Repair (All in one) you will see tabs labeled Steps 1. through 5.  then Repairs and Settings.  2. through 4. are optional.

Step 1.  Do a Proper Power Reset.  This is important and not optional.

tweak1_zps5460eb3e.png

Step 2.  Clean Your System From Infections (Optional).  This option will run Malwarebytes Antimalware if you choose to.

tweak2_zpse9b74c2d.png

Step 3.  Check File System (Optional), this will give you the option to see if you need to run chkdsk or the option to run chkdsk.

tweak3_zps6ebd559a.png

Step 4.  System File Check (sfc /scannow), (Optional).

tweak4_zps314fabc4.png

Step 5.  Registry Backup & System Restore.  This is not optional.
Click on Backup for the Registry, then click on Create for the System Restore.

tweak5_zps1f8cef34.png

Repairs.  Click on Start

tweak6_zps104a9f0c.png

You will see an image similar to the one below, click on Start Repairs

repairsa_zpsd14077e8.png

When the Repair has finished you will be asked if you want to restart your computer, click on Yes.

After the computer is restarted you will need to reopen Windows Repair and go to Settings

Settings.  On this page you will see Log Location, in the same section you will find Open Log Folder.  Click on Open Log Folder, this will open the log files, double click on this, then click on _Windows_Repair_Log.  Copy the log and then paste it in your topic.

tweak7_zps277d4e41.png

Tweaks is optional, you can go to these sites and use the tweaks.

tweak8_zps7d30ed30.png

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#13 clayto

clayto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 475 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2015 - 03:43 AM

Thank you for all that help.

However, I have been connecting OK to my broadband service for a couple of days, so maybe the problem has gone away --- fingers crossed. I have not done anything special, just repeatedly using the troubleshooter and diagnose / reset the wi-fi adapter. It is working now (obviously!) which is just as well as I have been struggling for two hours to get my antivirus re-activated with the help of Chat sessions, which went horribly wrong --- everything I posted got translated to an unknown foreign language, even the characters were altered entirely, so that neither I nor technicial advisor could understand any of it. Very strange.

I will keep all the above information to hand, in case I need it --- that could be soon if it starts playing up again.

#14 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,499 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2015 - 04:57 AM

I had this problem with wifi and it turned out to be a failing router. Powerclyling fixes it, but it just returns again and again especially after hard use like Netflix streams.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users