Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Suffixes on files in Downloads folder

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 richierein

richierein

• Members
  • 379 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 AM

Posted 27 September 2015 - 11:43 AM

I just took a look at my downloads folder and noticed unknown suffixes on most of the files.  Where did they come from?  If I rename the files by removing the unknown suffix, they become unuseable.  Here are some examples:

AcronisTrueImage2016_web(2).exe-Q4VJVSO0

AHCA COMPLAINTS.docx-1J6RVS09

ChromeSetup.exe-9UGBD8O7

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,519 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 PM

Posted 27 September 2015 - 12:21 PM

Do you have OEM or MS Windows DVDs and/or OS partition & data partition backups - before this happened?  Get 'em ready, you might need them.  First, heed the advice of the BC techs, they won't steer you wrong.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 PM

Posted 27 September 2015 - 01:25 PM

This seems like a malware to me

Create a new topic at Am I infected? What do I do? and they will confirm if it is indeed malware.

If I am helping you and I don't respond within 2 days, feel free to send me a PM

Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst 

Github | Keybase

#4 richierein

richierein
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 379 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 AM

Posted 30 September 2015 - 07:35 AM

I have backup files.  These came from my backup.  This started out as a clean install.  I guess I could try it again but I'm still curious how this happenend..  Some of the files are still ok but not many.  My system is totally clean of infections.

Edited by richierein, 30 September 2015 - 07:37 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users