Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Update error message

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 durkinjt

durkinjt

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 AM

Posted 27 September 2015 - 10:43 AM

I am trying to upgrade from Win 8 to 8.1, I am getting the dreadful "Failure configuring updates" Reverting Changes. I disconnected my external Hdd, printer, did a clean boot, ran update troubleshooter. The factory OS is Win 7. Had to restore to factory, used my own Win 7 disk, I have done the exact procedure several time in the past, without this happening. Any ideas greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 durkinjt

durkinjt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2015 - 10:02 AM

Have gotten down to 9 updates left by only downloads 15 at a time, last 9 just will not work. Originally there were 175, downloaded 15 at a time, last 9 keep getting the revert message. T.I.A.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,810 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 AM

Posted 29 September 2015 - 10:48 AM

If you have downloaded these updates and having a problem installing them try doing a Clean Boot and then install these one at a time.

Open the Search charm and type msconfig in the search box.  When msconfig appears below the search box tap/click on it to open System Configuration.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, you should enter the password or provide confirmation. 

(1)  Click/tap on the General tab.   

(2)  Click/tap on the Selective startup option. 

(3)  Remove the check mark in the Load startup items  check box. 

msconfig_zps77b1ef82.png

(1)  Click/tap on the Services tab. 

(2)  Place a check mark in the Hide all Microsoft services check box, this will remove the Microsoft Services from the list but will remain running. 

(3)  Click/tap on Disable all, this will remove all of the check marks in the Services list, then click/tap on Apply, then OK.  Click/tap on Restart in the window that opens.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 durkinjt

durkinjt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2015 - 01:53 PM

Thanks, working!

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,810 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2015 - 08:13 AM

Good.  Please go back to System Configuration and change the settings back to the way they were so that all of the Services are enabled again, click apply, then OK.

If this occurs again you can disable the Services again and if after restarting the problem no longer persists enable half of the services by placing checks in their boxes, restart the computer and see if the problem persists.  If it doesn't, disable those Services again and then enable the remaining half and restart the computer.  If this is one of the third party Services causing this, the half that exhibits the problem is where this service will be found.  To find it, cut that half of the services in half again and continue with this process of elimination till you find it.  Let me know what this Services is and we will know what to do with it. 

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 durkinjt

durkinjt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2015 - 12:16 PM

Thanks for the great info,I will use this in the future for sure, anyway I took a shot at downloading Win 8.1 with the nine updates still not downloaded, and Win 8.1 installed, first time that has happened.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,810 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2015 - 02:02 PM

I hope the best for you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users