Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

EasyBCD to "move" W7Pro boot from SysRes to C-drive

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 PM

Posted 27 September 2015 - 09:56 AM

Hey everyone!  In short, my laptops do not have SysRes partition, only C for OS, D for data.  My desktop was setup by Altex -- and it has a SysRes partition [which must be primary and active - or no boot], C OS, D data.

Can somebody give me a quick-list of the keystrokes within EasyBCD to copy the necessary boot files from System Reserved partition onto c-partition, when do I flag C as primary and active, when do I flag SysRes as logical, finally to have SysRes completely absorbed into C-partition.

Some time ago, I dinked around with EasyBCD, and did not accomplish the above at all.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2015 - 10:02 AM

Louis [Hamlius], message could be sent, so I'm thanking you in here:

I want to thank you for your gracious advice concerning Macrium Reflect cloning!  It worked!  Later on, I decided on Imaging over cloning, however, because of your advice - the process went smoothly.

And, I will be using Macrium Reflect later on, to clone my C & D from primary harddrive onto my second harddrive in the desktop.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 PM

Posted 27 September 2015 - 10:32 AM

How to rebuild the Boot Configuration Data (BCD)

Click on the Start orb rsz_1rsz_1rsz_start_orb_zpshjewtibd.png, then type cmd in the Search programs and files box.

cmd will appear above the Search box under Programs, right click on it and choose Run as administrator.

When the Elevated Command Prompt opens copy and then paste bootrec /rebuildbcd in the Command Prompt, then press Enter.

You will see the following.

Scanning all disks for Windows installations.

This may take a while, please do not stop the scan.

If this was successful you will receive the following message.

Successfully scanned Windows installations.
Total identified Windows installations: 0
The operation completed successfully.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2015 - 03:26 PM

1) Boot from the Windows 7 DVD      (Yes, patience is a virtue!)
2) Click "Next"
3) Click the "Repair your computer" link
4) Choose the "Command Prompt" option in the SYSTEM RECOVERY OPTIONS menu
5) Type the following commands, exactly as written below, in the order in which they are presented, and press ENTER after each command:
Bcdedit /export C:\BCD_Backup
ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old
Bootrec /rebuildbcd

Basically after doing the above, I can follow dc3's advice!

My post will give quick details as to success [or failure] of the computer[s] to do as instructed.

#5 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 AM

Posted 28 September 2015 - 03:52 PM

Bootmgr - Copy to C:\ with EasyBCD

[attachment=170920:Imgur_The_most_awesome_images_on_the_Internet_-_2015-09-28_16.48.03.png]

#6 RolandJS

RolandJS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2015 - 03:59 PM

Thanks U_T!  Will do this on the two computers, one at a time.  U_T, if successful, can I downgrade SysRes to logical?  Then let it be absorbed into C-partition?  Of course, the C-partition must be primary and active.

#7 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2015 - 04:08 PM

Thanks U_T!  Will do this on the two computers, one at a time.  U_T, if successful, can I downgrade SysRes to logical?  Then let it be absorbed into C-partition?  Of course, the C-partition must be primary and active.

Sure thing :) EDIT: After moving the boot manager & BCD store to C: with EasyBCD you can delete the 100mb System Reserved partition & expand "C:" drive directly with MiniTool Partition Master Free... Windows native Disk Management only allows expanding from unallocated space "to the right" (after) the partition you want to expand... no problem with MTPM: Download from MajorGeeks: Home site links to CNet download which I WILL NOT EVER use again.

HTH :)

2nd Edit: I have a Win 7 System Repair Disk on a bootable USB stick... I don't use BitLocker Drive Encryption so I don't need the Reserved partition.  How-to-Geek has a good article on the System Reserved Partition here: What is the System Reserved Partition and Can You Delete It?

Edited by Union_Thug, 28 September 2015 - 07:33 PM.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 PM

Posted 28 September 2015 - 04:43 PM

If you are talking about the 100MB System Reserved partition you should be aware, if you are not already, that this contains the boot files (Boot Manager code and the Boot Configuration Database).   Disk Manager will not allow you to remove this partition because removing this partition could cause the system to not boot. 

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2015 - 07:35 PM

@dc3: Thanks, noted... see my edits in my reply #7 above :)

#10 RolandJS

RolandJS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2015 - 12:06 PM

This topic is dead, I left things alone. SysRes partition and Windows 7, once such becomes self-aware, is best left As Is. revisiting Yul Brenner: "As it is written, so let it be done!"
This topic is dead, I left things alone. SysRes partition and Windows 7, once such becomes self-aware, is best left As Is. revisiting Yul Brenner: "As it is written, so let it be done!"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users