Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10: Let the Start menu ads begin

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,970 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 AM

Posted 27 September 2015 - 08:59 AM

A day I've anticipated for quite some time has arrived. Today Microsoft started showing ads in the Start menu of the latest Fast ring version of Windows 10, build 10547.

Not all computers are showing them yet, but according to a report early this morning by Bogdan Popa in Softpedia, Windows 10 is now taking advantage of a "feature" that disappeared in an earlier beta cycle. Popa has a screenshot of a Windows 10 Start menu with an entry in the middle that says, "Suggested / WATCH Disney Channel -- Free."

Fortunately, it's easy to turn off the "occasional suggestions." Click Start > Settings > Personalization, then Start on the left and uncheck the box marked "Occasionally show suggestions in Start."

Article

How long will it be before the option to turn it off is gone?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 995 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 AM

Posted 27 September 2015 - 10:47 AM

I suspect not too long.

* sigh *

Winterland

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

#3 leithanne

leithanne

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 AM

Posted 27 September 2015 - 12:51 PM

I don't mind the "suggestion" kind of ads. They're easy enough to ignore. So long as they don't flash, make noise or take up too much real estate, I'm good.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23,970 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 AM

Posted 27 September 2015 - 01:18 PM

I would give it a break because it is a free upgrade but what about the people who have to pay for 10 next year? If they removed the option to disable suggestions and a person paid for the OS that is another story.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users