Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Avast vs windows defender

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 trw77

trw77

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 PM

Posted 27 September 2015 - 08:46 AM

I was just wondering if I should install avast along with windows defender. in windows 10?

Edited by Queen-Evie, 27 September 2015 - 08:51 AM.
moved from Windows 10 Support to the appropriate forum

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Beel

Beel

• Members
  • 407 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 AM

Posted 27 September 2015 - 09:26 AM

If it was my machine I would stick with Windows Defender. To me having just the single anti virus system on a machine is best but there again others might not agree. I have always use MS security and touch wood I have never had any problems with viruses etc.

#3 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,528 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 PM

Posted 27 September 2015 - 09:50 AM

If you install Avast free or fee without the modules you do not want or need, you will be fine.  Neither Avast or WD or anything else is 100%, one will always catch what the other[s] did not.  I recommend either WD or Avast having shields/protections ON but not both.  One can schedule or do on-demand scans if one has both Avast and WD operational.  I actually have Avast and Avira taking quarterly turns being ON on my computers, of course taking care that only ONE of the two has its shields/protections ON.  :)  My scheduled scans happen often enough during each week to alert me to any/all pups, kittens, and whatever else.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#4 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,077 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2015 - 10:27 AM

If it was my machine I would stick with Windows Defender. To me having just the single anti virus system on a machine is best but there again others might not agree. I have always use MS security and touch wood I have never had any problems with viruses etc.

Meh Windows defender isnt so great at detection, avast is far superior.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,492 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2015 - 03:05 PM

I was just wondering if I should install avast along with windows defender. in windows 10?

Windows 8 and Windows 10 integrates a more robust version of Windows Defender (and uses that name) for its anti-virus and anti-malware protection. Since Windows 8/10 Defender includes anti-virus protection, it typically is disabled by the installation of a third-party anti-virus program. Windows 8/10 Defender will remain disabled until that anti-virus software has been completely uninstalled. In some cases, you may need to download and run the anti-virus vendor's clean up tool to remove any remaining remnants...then Windows 8/10 Defender needs to be activated if you choose to use it.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 dannyboy950

dannyboy950

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 PM

Posted 27 September 2015 - 04:31 PM

On my Vista machine Avast disabled Win Defender and I had a hard time uninstalling Avast.  It also never released Defender and no matter what I tried Defender would not turn back on.

Altho that was Vista but for now I am not willing to try another AV on here.

HP 15-f009wm notebook AMD-E1-2100 APV 1Ghz Processor 8 GB memory 500 GB Hdd

Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Cinamon

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,492 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2015 - 04:45 PM

Windows Defender in Windows 7/Vista is an anti-spyware tool intended to supplement your anti-virus program. Windows 8/10 Defender is not the same as Defender in previous operating systems.

#8 trw77

trw77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2015 - 06:26 PM

Thanks, I think I will just stick with WD since it seems like it is the more popular choice. However every so often WD pops up an alert saying malware is detected but no action is needed, but nothing comes up when I run a full system scan. I looked into Malwarebytes antimalware software, should I run that or just leave WD to do its job?

#9 trw77

trw77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2015 - 06:30 PM

I was also wondering about system mechanic?

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,492 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2015 - 06:33 PM

System Mechanic is a comprehensive optimization suite by iolo that purports to improve performance, repair Window's registry, fix common PC problems, and enhance the speed of a computer. It includes a registry cleaner, a registry revitalizer (to fix "so called problems"), system optimizer and several other features.

System Mechanic Pro incorporates the same optimization suite but also purports to plug security holes and protect privacy, and includes System Shield AntiVirus & AntiSpyware. There are several labs which test the effectiveness of major anti-virus programs to include AV-Comparatives.org, Virus Bulletin Comparative Tests, AV-Test.org, NSS Labs Consumer Anti-Malware Products Group Test Report, etc. I cannot find any which have tested System Shield AntiVirus & AntiSpyware. I would be skeptical of any vendor not participating in comparative testing. As such, I would recommend replacing System Shield with a more reputable anti-virus solution.

The optimization and performance improvement claims made by such software vendors are borderline scams. There is no statistical evidence to back such claims. Advertisements to do so are a marketing ploy intended to goad users into using an unnecessary and potential dangerous product. I would not trust any results such programs detect as problematic or needing repair nor recommend using the options to fix them. I also would not trust any detection alerts for viruses or other malware.

Further, these types of junk optimization programs are often considered Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUPs) so they may be detected or even removed by some security scanners which specifically look for PUPs and adware.

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons.

Why you should not use Registry Cleaners and Optimization Tools

Be sure to read Microsoft's support policy for the use of registry cleaning utilities in that topic...Microsoft does not support the use of registry cleaners.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users