Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC reboots for no reason

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Aurelis

Aurelis

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 AM

Posted 27 September 2015 - 01:41 AM

I've recently encountered a weird issue where my PC would reboot for no reason and without producing any minidumps. Basically it can happen at any time even while my PC is idle. When it happens the PC abruptly shuts down and then tries to boot several times (it switches on and off by itself before even getting to POST) before actually doing it.

The first thing i did was check my memory with memtest86+ 5.01 and it shutdown at least 3 times while i was running it. It crashed twice while i checked all 4 planks without completing a single pass, and once while i was checking 3 planks of memory after it completed at least 3 passes. I thought that i found my culprit but unfortunately after i put the planks back in and checked them again... nothing happened. It passed both with 1 plank, 3 planks and 4 planks without any issues.

My system specs are:

Intel Core i7-6700K, 4200 MHz (42 x 100)
Asus Maximus VIII Hero
Corsair CMK32GX4M4A2400C14    32697 MB  (DDR4-2133 DDR4 SDRAM) which im running at xmp1 profile and i had set it to xmp2 previously. The pc rebooted both on xmp1 and xmp2.

Thermaltake 850DPS G PCU

I was wondering what else could be the culprit? Im assuming it can only be a hardware issue since it rebooted during memtest.

Im also using quite old APC UPS but im only using surge protection sockets. Could that be a reason why the pc reboots? It doesn't really make any noises and continues working normally when the pc reboots though.

Edited by Aurelis, 27 September 2015 - 01:47 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sparklestar

sparklestar

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 PM

Posted 27 September 2015 - 04:11 AM

It could be overheating?

I doubt the surge protector is the problem, but it's not impossible.

Are there any popped capacitors in the computer?

Is everything plugged in and seated properly?

#3 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,778 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 PM

Posted 27 September 2015 - 08:01 AM

after i put the planks back in and checked them again... nothing happened. It passed both with 1 plank, 3 planks and 4 planks without any issues.

Are you saying that now, since re-seating the memory sticks it has stopped crashing and now runs normally?

Next: try booting into Safe Mode and running the unit normally for a length of time. Do the reboots stop?

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#4 Aurelis

Aurelis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2015 - 02:12 AM

It could be overheating?

I doubt the surge protector is the problem, but it's not impossible.

Are there any popped capacitors in the computer?

Is everything plugged in and seated properly?

I've got AIDA64 running at all times and so far had not notice any overheating. Im not sure what "popped capacitors" supposed to look like :/

I've rechecked everything when i was removing and putting the memory back in. It all seemed fine.

Are you saying that now, since re-seating the memory sticks it has stopped crashing and now runs normally?

Next: try booting into Safe Mode and running the unit normally for a length of time. Do the reboots stop?

Well yesterday it was switched on the whole day and nothing happened. But then again it appears to happen completely at random. First time it happened was a week ago, then i had a whole week without any issues, then it happened 4 or 5 times in the same day, including the times i've checked the RAM.

Edited by Aurelis, 28 September 2015 - 02:14 AM.

#5 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,778 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2015 - 07:51 AM

At this point run it and see if it crashes again; then, if it does, immediately, try to boot into safe mode and see if it crashes there. That can tell us a lot.

Edited by ranchhand_, 29 September 2015 - 07:52 AM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#6 Aurelis

Aurelis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2015 - 04:52 AM

Yeah i was going to do just that. So far i hadn't had any reboots.

#7 Aurelis

Aurelis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2015 - 04:36 AM

So the reboot just happened again. I didn't boot into safemode though :/ What should i do now?

The reboots happened over and over again. I've tried switching ram sticks to no avail. I've switched to another PSU. Hopefully its some power issue rather than motherboard failing.

Edited by Aurelis, 01 October 2015 - 11:17 AM.

#8 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,778 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2015 - 10:06 AM

Why didn't you boot into safe mode?

#9 Aurelis

Aurelis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2015 - 03:19 PM

Why didn't you boot into safe mode?

Simply forgot to do it :/

In any case - so far i didn't have any reboots with an older PSU. I think i might have fried the newer one by accidentally switching rounded pins into squared sockets in an 8pin slot on my motherboard. Though i've got conflicting opinions on whether its was ok to do it.

#10 gpruitt54

gpruitt54

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 PM

Posted 04 October 2015 - 02:12 PM

While the PC is booting, go into the BIOS and monitor the CPU temp. Watch to see if the temp is not climbing while in BIOS.

While the PC is running, to install a CPU temp monitor to see of the CPU is not having temp spikes.

Are you connect to a UPS (Un-interruptible Power Supply)? If so, plug into a standard PC rated power surge strip and see what happens.

#11 Aurelis

Aurelis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2015 - 06:29 PM

I've got AIDA64 for monitoring temps. They are all fine.

In any case - it doesn't matter anymore. The issue has not appeared since i switched to an older PSU. I guess the newer one was defective to begin with.

Edited by Aurelis, 04 October 2015 - 06:30 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users