Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Watching TV programing off internet on TV

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 sealrock

sealrock

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 AM

Posted 26 September 2015 - 11:43 PM

I am new here and am not very well educated on the finer aspects of computer capabilities.  I have a extra CPU that I would like to hook up to my TV to watch programing that is available on the internet.  Major network programs such as NCIS.  The CPU I am thinking about using is a Dell OptiPlex that I picked up.  I has a two one gig memory cards and a dual core processor.  I have a cat 5 network connection at the TV location to hook up to.  It has Windows 7 professional as the present OS. 

My questions are these.  Is the windows OS adequate for what I want to do?  Can I strip it of all unneeded programs and other junk to save memory?  Would another OS be better for this application?  What security protection would it need since it will be connected to my network?  I am a real newbee so I apologize if my questions are not stated clearly.  Thanks for any help you may be able to provide.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,520 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 AM

Posted 11 October 2015 - 02:04 AM

It depends on what your TV can do. Usually access to online programming is built into the tv. All you do is give it access to the network via ethernet. Then you have to subscribe to the those services and have an account at Netflix, HULU etc. You setup the tv to access those like you would ging through your browser on your pc. You pc can't really stream access of programming to a tv it doesn't work that way. If a tv doesn't have those abilities you have to buy a device. A ROKU 3, Fire TV Stick, or something similar. A network capable TV can see media files that your pc shares if you setup your pc's DLNA server media sharing. Go to networking and media streaming options turn that on and choose devices on network. Now your tv can watch movies on your pc. If you plan on using better quality video's DTS sound etc then I assume that would be ultimately controlled by how good of quality and format the video's are that your pc is streaming. Typically 1080p and AC3 Audio raw audio. Some TV do conversions themselves so you want to start out with good quality and raw formats something that the tv can work with.

#3 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 394 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 AM

Posted 30 October 2015 - 12:26 PM

I'm using an old OptiPlex 745 in the same application. It ran OK with a E5200 dual core CPU (now has a quad), I've never used it with less than 4GB ram so you might want a little more - but try it with 2GB first & see how it goes.Mine is running Windows 8.1 x64, I would expect Windows 7 would be OK. I added a AMD HD6400 graphics card to mine just for the HDMI connection - I wouldn't have bothered if I had a newer machine equipped with DisplayPort

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users