Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Deep freezes - Ctrl-Alt-Del Unavailable - Hard Shutdown only

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Fuzz101

Fuzz101

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 PM

Posted 26 September 2015 - 10:48 PM

Hey there,

My laptop has become buggy - as the title of this post suggests, it is freezing up altogether at irregular intervals. Ctrl-Alt-Del becomes unavailable and a hard shutdown required to recover. Windows itself is perhaps crashing. Very little is showing in Event logs. (DCOM errors essentially and notes regarding the unexpected shutdowns).

OS; Windows 7 OEM (original OS) 64 bit - OS factory reset on numerous occasions
Age of system: 2012

CPU: i7-3840QM
Video Card: Dual HD7970m
Manufacturer: Dell (Alienware)
Model: M18xR2 (Laptop) - never oc'd

Firewall: Online Armor

AV: Bitdefender

Attached Files

Edited by Fuzz101, 26 September 2015 - 10:49 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Fuzz101

Fuzz101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2015 - 07:56 AM

Anybody there?

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 AM

Posted 29 September 2015 - 05:23 AM

Sorry, I've been really busy.  Will be back shortly (have to say goodbye to the wife and put the dogs out)

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2015 - 06:41 AM

Will need to see this report to checkout the unexplained shutdowns:

Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on Administrative Events
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

FYI - If we're looking for Event ID 41 errors (unexplained shutdowns), there's more info on that here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

While waiting for a reply, please monitor your temps with this free utility:  http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

******************************************************************************************************************************************************

No memory dumps in the uploaded reports (nor are any listed in the KernelDumpList.txt report, but many are listed in the WER section of MSINFO32.
If using a disk cleaning program (such as CCleaner) please stop while we're troubleshooting.

Bluetooth is disabled.  Did you do this deliberately?  If so, why?

In any case, please re-enable it then update it.  Feel free to disable it again if you want to.

Your UEFI/BIOS (version A11) dates from 2013.  Please check at the manufacturer's website to see if there are any UEFI/BIOS updates available for your system.  If you are able to install the update through Windows (without booting from an external drive), then go ahead and update it.  WARNING - if the computer might shut down during this procedure, please don't do it, as this may physically damage the computer and prevent it from booting.  This is not as critical for W7 as it is for W8 and later - so it's your choice to try it or not.

Only 214 Windows Updates installed.  Most systems with SP1 have 300 or more.  Please visit Windows Update and get ALL available updates (it may take several trips to get them all).

The BSOD errors in the WER section of MSINFO32 are STOP 0x116 (x2), STOP 0x9F (x2) and a STOP 0x109

I'd suggest this troubleshooting guide:  http://www.sysnative.com/forums/bsod-kernel-dump-analysis-debugging-information/35-video-tdr-timeout-0x116-0x117.html#post29532
Also, please monitor your temps with this free utility:  http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html
Be sure to try the video stress tests - as this looks to me like it's a video memory error (but that's stretching my diagnostic skills to their limit).
The Admin Event viewer log will (if I'm correct) either show video errors preceeding each shutdown - or it won't show any discernable pattern (this is what causes us to suspect hardware).

Earlier versions of the Killer Network manager caused BSOD's on some Windows systems - your driver dates from 2012.

This is my old canned speech for taking care of those problems:

At times the Killer Network Manager may cause BSOD problems:

NOTE:Link thanks to blueelvis (15Oct2014): 

NOTE:  See this link first:  http://www.eightforums.com/bsod-crashes-debugging/38306-bsod-while-playing-msi-gt70-dragon-edition-2-a-4.html#post358413 (thanks to kaelaan)  It appears that the Killer Service problem was solved with the latest release of the Qualcomm versions of the drivers (so try updating to a version dated from later in 2014).

The Qualcomm Atheros Killer Service/KillerNetManager is known to cause BSOD's.  Please follow the workaround instructions here:

First, open the Run dialog (Win + R keys) and type in "services.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter
Scroll down and locate the "Qualcomm Atheros Killer Service" and right click on it.  Select "Stop"
Right click on it again and this time select "Properties"
In the dropdown box for "Startup type", select "Disabled", then click on the "OK" button at the bottom of the window

Next, open Task Manager (right click on TaskBar and select "Task Manager")
Click on the "More details" dropdown (if present)
Click on the "Startup" tab
Scroll down and locate the "KillerNetManager" entry, right click on it and select "Disable"
There may also be an Install Shield (with the Killer gaming K next to it), if so Right click on it and select "Disable"
Finally, restart the system in order for the changes to take affect.

At times the Killer Network Manager will continue to load.  If so, it's usually listed in the MSINFO32...Software Environment...Startup Programs section.  If it is, please try this:

It may be that the instructions aren't stopping everything.
In some cases, there's a program running out of the Program Files/Program Files (x86) directory.
"c:\program files\qualcomm atheros\killer network manager\killer~1.exe" (NOTE:  killer~1.exe is most likely killernetmanager.exe)
In other cases, there's a program running out of c:\windows\installer\{Long string of letters, numbers, and dashes}\networkmanager.exe_130c27d738f34c89bddf21bcfd74b56d.exe (the long string of letters and numbers may change)

Here's some things to try
1) Please see if there are any entries in the Startup tab of Task Manager that are related to Qualcomm/Atheros/Killer Network Manager (and NOT the card itself) and disable them (please let us know what you find)  Be careful as the wrong selection can disable the network card.
2) Check in "msconfig" for any entries that aren't in the Startup tab of Task Manager. Let us know if you find any Qualcomm/Atheros/Killer entries there (we'll disable them differently if they are there).
3) Locate the "c:\program files\qualcomm atheros\killer network manager\killer~1.exe" and rename the .exe to .BAD (the killer~1 is actually a filename that starts with killer and ends with .exe)  There will be an error in event viewer, but it'll stop the bugger from loading.
4) Locate the "c:\windows\installer\{Long string of letters, numbers, and dashes}\networkmanager.exe_130c27d738f34c89bddf21bcfd74b56d.exe" entry and rename the last .exe to .BAD (the long string of letters and numbers may change)

Just FYI - here are the MSI workaround instructions:  http://service.msicomputer.com/msi_user/TechFAQdetail.aspx?formid=3054

But the easiest things are to just update the Killer Network Manager software and the Killer drivers to the latest (2015) versions.

Beyond that, just wait for the next BSOD/crash.
Then check in C:\Windows\Minidump (this presumes that you have stopped using CCleaner for now).

If there are memory dumps there (files that end in .dmp), then zip them up and upload them with your next post.
If you can't zip them up, copy them to your Desktop and zip them up from there.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Fuzz101

Fuzz101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2015 - 08:36 AM

Hey there usasma,

Thank you for your assistance,

The administrative event log is attached as requested.

I'll track down the Killer Network Manager asap and install them.

I'm very familiar with HWMonitor - the laptop was returned to the manufacturer (under warranty) some 3 months ago due to overheating problems

- a poor cpu fan connection as it turned out. You wouldn't credit the temperatures my cpu reached btw - over 205C which is TMax+.

I have stress tested it since return - no problems but I shall again tonight/tomorrow (11:23pm here). Temperatures are fine leading into the freeze episodes.

There are Event ID 41 listed though I don't think there is a correlation between them and GPU errors.

I can add to the original description of the problem that there may (also?) be a connection between website initiated Flash and the freezes as I am

also getting a lot of Script errors. For example - this websites Advanced File Updater hangs the browser for a minute until the Stop Script dialogue pops up. (If I were to do a couple of other things while the browser was hung - the OS would freeze i.e. I can recreate the 'freeze' sort of)  Perhaps a reinstallation of Flash is warranted?

Windows Update was updated a day or so prior to my posting here - Update now shows only 2 optional updates - Explorer 11 (No!) and updates for the AMD Video Cards (please No!).

Anyway, I hope the Event log proves a revelation and there is something you can point at as the problem. Btw - there are a lot of Administrative Events ;-)

Thanks mate - i look forward to hearing from you.

Kind Regards,

Fuzz

Attached Files

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2015 - 04:28 PM

Nothing real significant in the Admin log - although I did see a number of explorer.exe failures in winlogon.

Have you scanned for malware?

Have you run SFC.EXE /SCANNOW from an elevated (Run as administrator) Command Prompt?

Other than that, let's wait to gather a few memory dumps.  Once the system has crashed, you can zip up the contents of C:\Windows\Minidump and upload it with your next post.

If you can't zip it up - copy it to your Desktop and zip it up there.

#7 Fuzz101

Fuzz101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2015 - 09:32 PM

Hello again usasma,

Nothing is showing up in Minidump I'm sorry to say. I have had to hard shutdown a few times since I posted here last and nothing is being written to the dump folder at all.

I've run scannow a couple of times - it returns a positive integrity check every time.

Regarding scanning for malware - I have done so a few weeks ago when things began to get weird. I had thought the laptop had a virus/Trojan of some sort - massive CPU was being used. Mostly by OAserv (the Online Armor main process) which I think was trying to monitor another program or unusual traffic. Print services seemed to be spiralling out of control, the whole thing was weird. SO I ran malwarebytes - nothing showed. I ran TDSS and a .sys related to a program called CyberLink returned a positive as a rootkit. So I uninstalled it and TDSS was happy. Cyberlink software seems to have been used for dubious activities: see  http://community.norton.com/en/forums/rikvm38f51d56sys-bad-virus

The CPU usage problem seems to be under control - but the behaviour of the laptop is disturbingly similar. i.e. It seems to slowly 'congest' somehow and hang but this time without great CPU usage present.

The whole thing is baffling. I am using Explorer to complete this post because Firefox has begun to freeze in the background - (2 minutes switching between tabs atm). If I were to continue using Explorer to surf, open a few more tabs etc, it too would begin to freeze. Meanwhile CPU usage /network traffic is okay. Eventually even the OS seems to congest. Ctrl-Alt-Delete at that stage returns the message "Failure to Display Security and Shutdown Options". OS gets a bit more chilly and its game over again.

Alt-tab shows a blank keypad controller window now and then. If I switch to it, it disappears.

*sigh*

Edited by Fuzz101, 30 September 2015 - 09:43 PM.

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2015 - 05:14 AM

The freezes won't generate minidumps - it'll take a Blue Screen event to do that.

Try this:

- open up Task Manager...Performance tab

- in the lower part of the window, click on the resource monitor link.

- click on the Overview tab and make the window as large as you can (and still be able to use your desktop)

- then wait for it to freeze and see what's eating up the most resources.

If you can't see everything, then move the window around and let it freeze again.

Also, you may want to uninstall Online Armor - but that's just a hunch on my part.

If you do, be sure to enable Windows Defender and the Windows Firewall for protection while testing.

If this doesn't help, download a fresh copy of OA and install that after we've finished troubleshooting.

#9 Fuzz101

Fuzz101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2015 - 05:24 AM

Hey there usasma,

Apologies for the delay in reply - the weekend tooke me over.

I tried the Overview tab in the Resource Monitor (which never seems to freeze altogether insomuch as all the data elements still update etc).

Bizarrely, nothing at all is shown as consuming a great amount of resources, even moments before the deep freeze. Not even Oaserv (the online armor engine).

That said, I decided to uninstall OA and - surprise, surprise - the deep freezes have stopped altogether. I have stress tested a little and all seem well.

For example, I currently have 2 firefox instances running - 30 tabs open in each one - and aside the occassional micro-pause the PC is not missing a beat.

Windows firewall is probably sufficient enough these days and I'll let it man the maingate for now.

So there it is. Thank you for your time and your suggestions - you grokked the problem.

Kind Regards,

Darren

PS. I notice that Online Armor has ceased delivering a standalone firewall as of July. And ceased supporting it as well I guess. Actually, I dont think the new OA 'suite' uses HIPS at all which is a shame.
It was a great product.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users