Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Full install Linux on Win Vista machine

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#1 jargos

jargos

• Members
  • 700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 AM

Posted 26 September 2015 - 10:04 PM

Hi all

Gave up my attempts to dual boot Linux and Win 7 on my laptop. Too frustrating.

As I mentioned in an earlier thread ages ago, I have dusted off an old desktop, with Win Vista Home Premium on it. I have done a factory re-install so it's back to as new condition. Have done nothing else to it.

I intend to do a full installation of Linux Mint 17.2 on it so that it fully and only Linux. Don't care if I completely lose Windows - no problem - the machine was in mothballs anyway, and in any case, I have the manufacturers installation disks if I ever need them - though that is NOT the plan. The plan is run Linux on it ONLY.

Should be easy.

I have the Linux Mint 17.2 ISO which I can put on a USB make it available during installation, and I have my Linux USB, which I have been using to run Linux on my lappie to date.

Now, I assume the procedure is the same - first get into the BIOS, order it to run off USB first, then go from there. No proble.

Problem is, I can't find the BIOS during the Vista start up. Hitting F2 takes me to 'Windows Boot Manager' but the only thing that appears there and is highlightable, is Microsoft Windows Vista - no other options, no sign of the Linux USB already plugged in, no way to re-order the booting sequence, no other option, other than 'Memory Diagnostic' which is irrelavent.

So, simple question. How do I get the thing to go and boot off the Linux USB please ?

And I assume once I've done that, I can just use the installation program on the USB once Linux is loaded, to fully install OVER Vista.

Thanks.

JA

Linux Mint 17.2 Cinnamon on older, Pentium 4 desktop.

Win 7 on Medion Akoya i3 laptop

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jargos

jargos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 700 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2015 - 10:06 PM

PS - I have put this in the Linux page rather than the Vista page because ultimately, I'm installing Linux, and once I'm past Vista, might need to ask more questions.

#3 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,563 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 AM

Posted 26 September 2015 - 10:15 PM

And I assume once I've done that, I can just use the installation program on the USB once Linux is loaded, to fully install OVER Vista.

Yes Just select the option " Erase disk and install Linux" Let Linux do the rest for you including partitioning.

Problem is, I can't find the BIOS during the Vista start up.

What type of PC is it? Some its f2, others f10 or f9, and others you hit the delete button.

Edited by NickAu, 26 September 2015 - 10:15 PM.

#4 jargos

jargos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 700 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2015 - 10:21 PM

Hello Nick and thanks for the quick reply.

Darn it .. had tried everything except the 'delete' button - never knew about doing it with that one.

Just tried it - DONE !

Found bios. Will proceed and scream again if any problems.

Thanks again.

#5 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,563 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2015 - 10:25 PM

Please do.

Once Mint is installed and your pc has rebooted. Can you open terminal and type.

sudo ufw enable

This will start your firewall and create a script that starts it every time you boot the PC.

You are most welcome.

Nick.

#6 jargos

jargos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 700 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2015 - 09:21 AM

Done. Loaded beautifully. Back soon with report and some questions.

#7 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,114 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 PM

Posted 27 September 2015 - 12:31 PM

Hi all

As I mentioned in an earlier thread ages ago, I have dusted off an old desktop, with Win Vista Home Premium on it. I have done a factory re-install so it's back to as new condition. Have done nothing else to it.

Thanks.

JA

I don't understand why you would do a factory install and then install over it, but hope you get your linux up and running.

You should have done a Dual Boot if you have the Drive Space.  That would have been good practice, but as long as you get an Install Under your belt you are doing good.  Can't wait to hear how it all goes, and always amazed at how much faster linux with run on old windows machines.  I know your frustration on your Dual Boot, I just tried it on a W7 machine and was shut down.  Haven't had time to revisit the install yet, but will soon.  I even had trouble just installing W7? LOL, they sure don't make it easy sometimes.  Mine had nothing to do with Partitions either, it pre-installs with only two, so it was a matter of the OEM Restrictions or something.  I'll get er done eventually.

Edited by pcpunk, 27 September 2015 - 01:18 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#8 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,114 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2015 - 12:37 PM

jargos, are you aware of the Updating Command sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade.  String it all together just like that and hit enter, and your Password of course.  Or, you can go to the Updater and choose to do the Updates from there. 

Then  it will take quite a while to do all the updates, but not as long as Windows LOL.  Power Options should be set to "Never" Sleep.

Edited by pcpunk, 27 September 2015 - 03:16 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#9 jargos

jargos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 700 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2015 - 09:20 PM

Hi all

Thanks.

JA

I don't understand why you would do a factory install and then install over it, but hope you get your linux up and running.

You should have done a Dual Boot if you have the Drive Space.  That would have been good practice, but as long as you get an Install Under your belt you are doing good.  Can't wait to hear how it all goes, and always amazed at how much faster linux with run on old windows machines.  I know your frustration on your Dual Boot, I just tried it on a W7 machine and was shut down.  Haven't had time to revisit the install yet, but will soon.  I even had trouble just installing W7? LOL, they sure don't make it easy sometimes.  Mine had nothing to do with Partitions either, it pre-installs with only two, so it was a matter of the OEM Restrictions or something.  I'll get er done eventually.

Hi pcpunk. It is a 10 year old desktop. The factory re-install was actually done a few years ago when the machine was mothballed, along with a disk wipe (of 7 x overwrite with CCleaner), just so as to shred and personal / bussiness files. So it was like that when pulled out of the cupboard.

Look, I am incapable of spending days and days just to work out a computer problem - I refer to my earlier attempt to dual boot with W7 on my lappie. So I went down this path.

And, BOY, am I so glad I did. You have no idea how pleased I am with the result.

In the next day or so I shall do a report on my experience for the benefit of others, and also to ask a few questions.

#10 jargos

jargos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 700 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2015 - 09:23 PM

jargos, are you aware of the Updating Command sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade.  String it all together just like that and hit enter, and your Password of course.  Or, you can go to the Updater and choose to do the Updates from there. 

Then  it will take quite a while to do all the updates, but not as long as Windows LOL.  Power Options should be set to "Never" Sleep.

I found the Updater and refreshed it. This was actually going to be one of my several questions, may as well put it now ..

There are about 73 updates, level 1, 2, & 3. Should I just get them all ?

And also set it to do 'em automatically ?

#11 jargos

jargos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 700 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2015 - 09:26 PM

Please do.

Once Mint is installed and your pc has rebooted. Can you open terminal and type.

sudo ufw enable

This will start your firewall and create a script that starts it every time you boot the PC.

You are most welcome.

Nick.

Done - exactly as stated, and all good.

This was going to be another of my questions, may as well put it now .. is the terminal window something like the old DOS ?

My introduction to computers 40 years ago was on DOS, so I knew it wel .. back then .. and the terminal thing looks remarkably like it.

Also, what does sudo mean ?

#12 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,563 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2015 - 09:27 PM

There are about 73 updates, level 1, 2, & 3. Should I just get them all ?

Yes.

Your PC should ask you to update when ever there are updates available.

#13 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,563 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2015 - 09:29 PM

Also, what does sudo mean ?

sudo is an abbreviation of “super user do” and is a Linux command that allows programs to be executed as a super user (aka root user) or another user. It's basically the Linux/Mac equivalent of the run as command in Windows

is the terminal window something like the old DOS ?

Basically yes.

Edited by NickAu, 27 September 2015 - 09:30 PM.

#14 jargos

jargos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 700 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2015 - 10:07 PM

Hi all

Thanks.

JA

Your highlighted, above, which I just now saw ..

YEP !

Now you may discern my instinctivre reticence to even go there. YOU had problems with it. Imagine ME ! And on my 'serious' lappie. NOPE, I am a very happy chappie now though ..

#15 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,114 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2015 - 04:56 PM

Yeah, the Vista machine is perfect for this!

I'm quite sure this cannot be done.  Every time we get updates, we have to enter our Passwords and accept them.  There is no Auto-Update Feature for Linux Mint that I know of.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users