Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How long are people waiting?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 millipede

millipede

• Members
  • 617 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 PM

Posted 26 September 2015 - 09:03 PM

And, are the cautious people still uneasy? 
It's been a few weeks, I think, since I've looked at any discussions on windows 10.  I'm on 7 and have been considering moving up...  not thrilled about losing media center but I'm sure I'll find something to replace it...  (any recommendations appreciated, but not necessary...)

Anyway, last time I was asking about it, I had quite a few people that acted like installing windows 10 was going to end my life as I knew it...  Exaggerating a little maybe...  maybe...   But, some were VERY opposed to it. 

I'm wondering...  has anything changed in the last few weeks?  Is the privacy still a cause for major concern for some people or, has MS softened on a few things yet?

Who is waiting still?  And, how long are people going to wait?

There's SO many topics to wade through here...  I just don't know what's what. 
Seems like many of the settings can be tweaked... right?
Are updates still all enforced?  Has anything changed?

When you go looking into this, you get a mixed bag...  there are some that praise this and say "no, don't worry...  your privacy isn't a concern(or doesn't matter)"  and then some that are SO paranoid, you'd think they had government vehicles tailing them each day, they seem so worried.

It overwhelms me to think about who I trust... and, that of course includes MS.  :alien2: :wacko:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gigawert

gigawert

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 PM

Posted 26 September 2015 - 09:19 PM

I actually got Windows 10 the first day it came out, but reverted back to 7 within 3 weeks because of the privacy controversy and some issues with Wifi.

John 3:16

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

#3 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 AM

Posted 26 September 2015 - 11:04 PM

Everyone, well, majority of users would eventually be pushed to the newer versions but only time will tell just like the XP era. AFAIK, There is a one year window (yes window) for the free upgrade so grabbing the ISO copy is a must for qualified systems and who have the upgrade notification on standby. Some threads points to the notification as annoying as the solution was just to hide it simply by customize notification control panel and just let it sit there quietly and ignore the Get it while you can its free setup. :) People can never be satisfied with the current privacy policy of microsoft, but as long as it's a completely free upgrade path all the way, then it is a choice of weighing in between the circumstances. The long story short is, create an image backup including your data externally or clone as you have the option to swap readily. Come to think of it, some popular 3rd party free software nowadays comes bundled with products or unwanted to end users.

Tekken

#4 leithanne

leithanne

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2015 - 11:29 AM

I waited one day to upgrade my desktop. Since it went well, and everything was working (printer, camera, Nook, etc), I upgraded my laptop a week later. Again, success. I can deal with the privacy issues. With the suggested things turned off, I don't feel that Win 10 is any worse than most of the other things I use.

I don't think anyone here has changed his mind about privacy, and most of them have chosen not to run Win 10, which is their right. I happen to like it, though.

#5 Beel

Beel

• Members
  • 407 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 AM

Posted 27 September 2015 - 11:43 AM

Well leithanne sooner or later I guess we will all have to upgrade to W10 which really doesn't worry me all that much, what will be will be. But I think I will wait for sometime yet so any bugs MS hopefully will have sorted out. My weakest point if there is something new I must have a go which I did when W10 was first released. I upgraded it onto my W7 laptop. I didn't have any problems at all apart from slight blurry print which I guess a driver issue and I found it different. When one is used to something some find the change hard to comprehend which was me.So I then reverted back to W7 and thankfully again no problems. but before the free upgrade ends I might give it another go...time will tell...Good luck.

#6 leithanne

leithanne

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2015 - 12:44 PM

I understand, Beel. It's probably wise to wait 'til most of the kinks get ironed out. My problem was that I was bored. Bored with Win 7, bored with Ubuntu, bored with Mint. I wanted something new to learn, and, maybe, have to fix. Oh, the joy of searching for - and finding! - a driver for my trackpad. But, that's just me. Others are not quite so crazy.

#7 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,959 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 AM

Posted 27 September 2015 - 06:56 PM

@leithanne....      """Others are not quite so crazy."""...........Don't bet on it !!! ... :hysterical:

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#8 leithanne

leithanne

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2015 - 12:54 PM

Haha. Maybe I should have said "the same kind of crazy".

#9 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 PM

Posted 30 September 2015 - 03:34 PM

So far 2020 seems like the appropriate waiting time!  Maybe a more honest group will put out an OS that the public can swallow! 

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#10 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 PM

Posted 30 September 2015 - 04:23 PM

I'm waiting until someone fires the legal team at MSFT and those who approved aka.ms/msa .  I'm waiting until the telemetry is redacted or made both transparent and truly editable by the customer whose machine is affected.  I'm heartbroken while waiting.  Just talked to my bus partner about all this, and he's in shock too.  That GWX is on his machine. But he knows now not to click on it.  Sometime after tax season (for we are now late maybe in our filings, but maybe I can get them done in time) I'll have to show him how to fix it, if his own computer folks don't know how.

Without BC -- and especially darkbit -- I'd be dead right now, and he would be, too.  We owe y'all.

Edited by brainout, 30 September 2015 - 04:24 PM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#11 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,959 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 AM

Posted 30 September 2015 - 05:20 PM

So far 2020 seems like the appropriate waiting time!  Maybe a more honest group will put out an OS that the public can swallow

Amen to that !!

You and I are having the same dream !

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#12 BenjaminGordonT

BenjaminGordonT

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2015 - 12:17 PM

Agreed... Having to put Win10 on my Dell Latitude XT with it's incredibly powerful 1.2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo and the massive amount of 3GB Ram... But it's been fun... Win7 and Vista run fine but they are so dull... I want Win10 and all it's features... But that does mean a lot of work... My next task will be android!!! :D

#13 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 617 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2016 - 10:52 PM

Just read through some of this again, as well as some of the other discussions and it seems that not a lot has changed... you have people that embrace technology and say "eh, that's the nature of technology today... accept it or live in a cave"(paraphrasing of course, HA) and you have those that are still paranoid and act like your life will end if you try windows 10. 
So far, I still haven't done anything with it...    Still torn...  :/

#14 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,157 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2016 - 11:21 PM

Just read through some of this again, as well as some of the other discussions and it seems that not a lot has changed... you have people that embrace technology and say "eh, that's the nature of technology today... accept it or live in a cave"(paraphrasing of course, HA) and you have those that are still paranoid and act like your life will end if you try windows 10. 
So far, I still haven't done anything with it...    Still torn...  :/

Well, it's wise to be cautious and somewhat torn, particularly if you're coming from Windows 7 and doing so on hardware that's at the older end of the spectrum and/or you have a "well-used" system.

The biggest problem, other than carrying existing issues forward, generally relates to device drivers.  While many, perhaps most, will work just fine it's entirely possible a few will not.  If there are newer versions written for Windows 10 then you can install them and all will be well.  If not you tend to have to go on a fishing expedition for one that will work for the specific piece of hardware in question.  I have a Dell Inspiron 1720 laptop that I finally gave up on using with Windows 10 because after trying a long list of drivers for the mousepad absolutely nothing would work correctly with Windows 10.  On the other extreme, the laptop I'm typing on is an HP 15-g035wm that was running Windows 8.1 that upgraded quite seamlessly to Windows 10 last fall and has generally run well since (there has been a small bump or two, but I expect this with any brand new OS).

I have had GlassWire monitoring going on for well over a month now, and it's ongoing, and I can say pretty unequivocally that if you go through the Privacy settings and configure them as you see fit and turn off Cortana and specifically excluding web results in Windows Search results that the amount of data that is being sent back to Microsoft is minimal, and my system health reporting settings are set to "full."  In the month between 12/17/15 and 1/17/2016 the total outgoing traffic has been 1.8Gb, and the majority of that has been from the Google Chrome and Firefox web browsers.  There is nothing in the reporting that suggests or directly shows outgoing data being delivered in any large quantity to any servers affiliated with Microsoft.  This makes perfect sense if you actually read the EULA for Windows 10 and the Microsoft Services Agreement.  The vast majority of information, and specifically information of a personal nature, comes from using the Microsoft Services listed in the Services Agreement.  The Cortana personal assistant, in order to function, has to have access to a lot of personal data, but if you don't want to use Cortana it's a simple matter to actually decline to activate it as part of the Windows 10 upgrade.

I certainly wouldn't be in any rush to go to Windows 10 from Windows 7.  I still have a Windows 7 Ultimate (32-bit) desktop computer that I have not upgraded and may never upgrade.  If I do decide to upgrade that one it will probably not be until after the next major update to Windows 10 itself, and I think another is supposed to occur in late spring.  The free upgrade offer remains in force through the end of July.  You've got plenty of time to decide whether you want to upgrade or not.  

Edited by britechguy, 17 January 2016 - 11:22 PM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#15 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2016 - 01:37 PM

I agree with Britechguy.  I've got a new Dell laptop with 10 where I turned off Cortana and the "snoopware" in Settings -> Privacy, and it's working just fine after some tweaking.  All my old software works and it's stable.  I've also got two test desktops that've been part of the Insider testing since 10/1/2014 that're mostly fine.  I have run into some sharing glitches between 7 and 10 with a Samsung ML-2525 printer and folders on one of the desktops, but otherwise it's been very stable.  I wish they'd stop changing the user interface or at least give us the option to have it work like Windows 7, but at least it's greatly improved over 8.1.  I got around the printer sharing by hooking up a wireless printer, and I've put the desktop with 10 in my homegroup sharing the Documents folder, and that works.  

So bottom line for me is that if you buy a new computer, go with 10, but I don't recommend upgrading from 7 or 8.1.  If you're on 8.1, just get the free Classic Shell and make it work like whatever earlier version you want.  7 is supported until 2020 and 8.1 until 2023 and they work just fine.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users