Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Booting from Windows 10...

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 BenjaminGordonT

BenjaminGordonT

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 PM

Posted 26 September 2015 - 07:45 PM

OK so this is complicated... So I have:

• A 4GB USB Flash Drive
  • A 32 GB SD Card
  • A 500GB External Hard Drive
  • And a Lenovo B575

I have no discs so I want to burn my 8GB Windows 10 ISO File (It is that large because it is a 10-in-1) to a USB so I can install it on my Lenovo B575. My USB Flash Drive is too small and although my laptop has an SD Card Reader it will not boot from it. So my only option is my External Hard Drive and here's where my problem begins. I tried extracting my ISO and copying the files to my External Hard Drive and it worked fine. But when I tried to boot from it it says there is no operating system on the Hard Drive. I am sure I copied everything right. I tried running PLoP Boot Manager and got the same error when trying to boot from my External Hard Drive. Do I lose something when I copy the files over from the ISO after extracting it? I can't use Rufus or another tool because it is not a Removable Disk it is an External Hard Drive and I can't get any program to recognize it as such. Any help???

Thanks,

-BenjaminsiPod

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2015 - 09:04 PM

I haven't tried but this may work: http://bootableusb.net/make-bootable-external-hdd-install-windows-78/

Edited by Union_Thug, 27 September 2015 - 12:08 PM.

#3 BenjaminGordonT

BenjaminGordonT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2015 - 11:03 AM

Thanks that's what I needed... I didn't have the boot code needed to boot it from the hdd

#4 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2015 - 12:07 PM

Good deal. :cool:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users