Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD Windows 10 - Not All Reports

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 KyleX63

KyleX63

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 AM

Posted 26 September 2015 - 06:31 PM

So I had Windows 7 and had some strange issues I was NEVER able to figure out/fix. I never had BSOD issues after it loaded but on startup occasionally I would get them, sometimes the point to where I had to boot in safe, disable a few things, and then boot again. Then one of my issues was that my computer just couldn't connect to networks/internet even though it says it was connected. The troubleshooter couldn't find problems and my only solution was to disable the network adapter and re-enable it to get it to work. Sometimes it would get stuck trying to disable/enable and I would have to restart the laptop.

Fast forward to when Windows 10 came out I said screw it, hopefully this will fix my problems. For the most part it did fix the most annoying part of problem. Since Windows 10 installed I never had a boot problem to my knowledge. The network adapater rarely fails and it never gets stuck enabling. However, now I get the new Windows BSOD a few times per day. I checked my dump logs and it looks like it traces back to my Atheros drivers, which is bad but makes sense. I know it isn't necessarily supposed to update/work on Windows 10, but it didn't work on Windows 7 either and I hope maybe there is a fix for it.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
I couldn't get both reports requested to finish. The first one hung on app 9 and 10, so I zip'd it myself. The second said it timed out upon generating the report. I troubleshooted that and turned the services on and it didn't work still. One of the services showed up in task manager services but not the actual services menu.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

x64
Original OS: Windows 7
Originally OEM
OS Age: First day download for Windows 10

CPU: Intel® Core™ i3-2350M CPU @ 2.30GHz 2.30GHz
Video Card: Intel® HD Graphics 3000

Manufacturer: Dell
Model Number: N5050

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jcgriff2

jcgriff2

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 AM

Posted 26 September 2015 - 06:53 PM

Hi. . .

Your diagnosis is correct -- Atheros wifi driver is at fault. (Nice Work!)

To stop the BSOD epidemic, you need to find an updated Atheros driver.  If no-go, you'll need to purchase a new USB wifi device that is compatible with Windows 10.   If you end up purchasing a new wifi device, please don't take the salesman's word for Windows 10 compatibility.  Look for it on the box; check the driver timestamp out if possible - Windows 10 base default OS driver timestamp is 9 July 2015, so a wifi driver w/ timestamp > 7-9-2015 is ideal.

Given your Atheros wifi driver's 2012 timestamp, I'm not surprised that you had issues with it in Windows 7 as well.

athrx.sys    Wed Mar 21 09:42:59 2012 (4F69DAE3)
http://www.sysnative.com/drivers/driver.php?id=athrx.sys

Look for a driver update at the "unofficial" site if need be.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

Windbg Log
Spoiler

Edited by jcgriff2, 26 September 2015 - 07:09 PM.

Microsoft MVP 2009-2015
Microsoft Windows Insider MVP 2018 - Present

#3 KyleX63

KyleX63
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 AM

Posted 01 October 2015 - 06:20 PM

An update on my situation. I used the unofficial site to grab the drivers for Windows 8. I no longer blue screen. The verifier still crashes but I can live without the blue screens. I find it interesting the Windows 8 drivers, on a Windows 7 era hardware, while using Windows 10 is a winning combination. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users