Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Adobe Flash Player

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dan9119a

dan9119a

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 AM

Posted 26 September 2015 - 06:28 PM

I just got a new MacBook Air because my ten year old PC had gotten loaded up with so much malware/spyware/virus that it became unusable and it gave me a excuse to buy a new computer and I decided to try a Mac.  I am getting a notice that Adobe Flash updates are available.  I do not want to load this computer up with any problems.  should I update or if not how can I get this message to stop popping up when I boot up?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dante12

dante12

• Members
  • 197 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 PM

Posted 27 September 2015 - 03:55 AM

You can download flash player from here

From where you get the notice, visiting website? 

#3 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 PM

Posted 09 October 2015 - 12:22 AM

I just got a new MacBook Air because my ten year old PC had gotten loaded up with so much malware/spyware/virus that it became unusable and it gave me a excuse to buy a new computer and I decided to try a Mac.  I am getting a notice that Adobe Flash updates are available.  I do not want to load this computer up with any problems.  should I update or if not how can I get this message to stop popping up when I boot up?

Did you install Adobe Flash yourself? If not, then you should not have Adobe Flash installed as Apple does not have it installed with new Macs (unless they have changed). So, if you did not install it and are getting a message, then it might be some sort of a scam from a website (unless it is telling you to actually install it to watch a video).

If you did install it, then yes, you should update it (see dante12's post for where to get it). If you don't want to have it installed, then you could uninstall it. Lastly, you can turn off "Notify me to install updates" from within the Adobe Flash "control panel" in the System Preferences under the Updates tab, but I would not advise it...either update it or uninstall it.

If you don't have Flash installed (you will see a "control panel" for it in System Preferences), then something else is going on.

#4 Scottster1

Scottster1

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 PM

Posted 10 October 2015 - 08:02 AM

More and more web content creators are abandoning flash.  If you remove Flash from your browser, the odd site will show unplayable videos, but for the most part, you'll be fine *and* you'll shut down a huge potential source of malware (Flash vulnerabilities).  Something to consider.  I dumped Flash at the beginning of the year and haven't looked back.

#5 CenterForAnts

CenterForAnts

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 PM

Posted 30 October 2015 - 09:23 AM

I prefer not to have Flash Player installed on my machine.  When it's required, I use Google Chrome browser as it has Flash Player built-in.  The difference is that Chrome runs Flash Player in a sandbox so it's not as dangerous.

#6 dante12

dante12

• Members
  • 197 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 PM

Posted 30 October 2015 - 10:01 PM

Going Flash Free on Mac OS X and how Cheat when you Need it

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users