Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need to test my hardware might have a bad v-card or power supply.

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64

• Members
  • 974 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 AM

Posted 26 September 2015 - 06:01 PM

Hi first I like to explain things, around a month ago I tried updating my video drivers with G-force Experience and Windows went into low resolution mode and I though it was probably a bad update or something so about a few weeks latter I was on PC and a sudden storm hit and my desktop turned off for a few seconds but it appeared to be fine. So last I turned on my desktop and Windows was in low resolution mode again but after rebooting it was back to normal. The reason I'm concerned is because last winter I was having problems with my old UPS. Every time I turned on my heat it would cause my old UPS to over heat and caused surges I know this because the UPS would beep whenever this happened and Windows 7 would go into basic mode because of the power spike. My guess is that when my desktop shut of for a few seconds during that recent storm it was more of a coincidence and maybe was more of long term effect of what happened last winter.

Anyway I want to test my hardware(motherboard,memory,CPU, and video card) I already have Prime95 on Windows but I'm not familiar with it, and does anyone know of any motherboard test tools like a live iso and how to use it? For now I'm going to run Memtest for at least 15 hours.

Asus b85m-e/csm

i5 4570

GeForce GTX 760

16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 974 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2015 - 06:16 PM

Update: After running Memtest86 for twenty four hours it found no errors but about a few days ago when I was on Windows it went into basic mode and it was over 75 degrees in my home so heat seems to play a role.

#3 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2015 - 06:25 PM

Our desktop is our warmest part of the apartment, so we have two tabletop electric fans which we run when the desktop during spring, summer & fall.  That appears to have made a difference in desktop operations.

Tools for testing hardware, check with the regular BC techs here -- they can steer you in the right direction.

Edited by RolandJS, 14 October 2015 - 06:28 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#4 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 974 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2015 - 07:28 PM

Well I cant boot into Windows anymore cause I was trying do system restore and it crashed during the restore process. After that happened anytime I booted into Linux or ran a live cd the screen would flicker and show a bunch of visual artifacts. So I had my friend help me remove the Video-card after doing this I no longer see any problems with the video so it must of been a bad v-card but unfortunately I still cant boot into Windows because it's too badly damaged.

#5 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2015 - 10:14 AM

Which Windows?  Do you have OEM or Microsoft Windows Install and/or Repair/Rescue DVD [or USB sticks]?  Depending upon which Windows you have, depending what DVD [if any] came with that Windows --- will "create" the answer and action plan of restoring Windows operations.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 AM

Posted 17 October 2015 - 11:42 AM

The motherboard you have listed isn't used in a OEM computer, so you or whoever installed the operating system had to have the installation disc and a legal product code.  Do you have the installation disc?

It would help if you post what operating system you are using.

The problem you are having could be a bad graphics driver.  I see a lot of members having problems with NVIDIA drivers.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 974 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2015 - 08:06 PM

Sorry for the late reply Ive been under the weather.

Which Windows?  Do you have OEM or Microsoft Windows Install and/or Repair/Rescue DVD [or USB sticks]?  Depending upon which Windows you have, depending what DVD [if any] came with that Windows --- will "create" the answer and action plan of restoring Windows operations.

Retail. But Windows crashed during a system restore and I can longer boot into it I only get a black screen.

The motherboard you have listed isn't used in a OEM computer, so you or whoever installed the operating system had to have the installation disc and a legal product code.  Do you have the installation disc?

It would help if you post what operating system you are using.

The problem you are having could be a bad graphics driver.  I see a lot of members having problems with NVIDIA drivers.

Its a custom built gaming desktop from a local computer store. Yes I have the install disk and its Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit.

I'm currently running my Linux (Netrunner OS) drive right now. And after having the video card removed I'm no longer experiencing any video problems.

Also I'm having the local computer store run some test on my video card.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2015 - 08:18 AM

Let's do a repair installation.  This is nondestructive.

A Windows 7 Repair Installation will require a installation disc for the specific version you have installed.  If you have the installation disc needed to do the repair installation scroll down to Part B and follow the Repair Installation Instructions from there.

If your copy of Windows 7 is a retail copy and you do not have a disc, you can download a ISO image from Microsoft using the link below.

If your copy of Windows 7 isn't a retail copy you can download Windows 7 Pro from here.  This is not a torrent.  Scroll down till you find the Download buttons, click on the version which the same as yours, 32-bit or 64-bit.  When you press the button the download will begin.  You will want to download this to your desktop so that it will be easy to find.

You will need to burn the ISO image to a disc.

Part A

How to burn ISO image using Windows Burn Disk Image.

Notice:  This applies only to Windows 7 and Windows 8, earlier versions do not have this.

1.  Place a blank DVD in the tray of your optical drive and close the tray.

2.  Right click on the ISO file on your desktop

3.  Click on Burn disc image.

4.  In the image below you will see Disk burner:, this should be set to the optical drive you want to use.  Click on Verify disc after burning if you want to Windows to verity the disc image after burn.  Click on burn.

burndiskimage1_zpsb502b181.png

5.  In the image below you can see that the green progress bar, when the image is finished burning the bar will be filled.

burndiskimage2_zps17a9d6ff.png

6.  After the image has been created click on Close

Please note:  In order to boot from the installation disc you may need to change the boot order in the BIOS so that the DVD drive is the first device and the HDD/SSD is the second device.

Repair Installation Instructions

Part B

1.  Place the installation disc in the tray of the CD/DVD drive, close the tray and restart the computer.

2.  You will be prompted to press any key to start the installation, I find the space bar handy.

At this point the setup process will load files, this will take several minutes.

3.  You will now need to choose the  Language, Time, currency format, and Keyboard or input method that you'd like to use.

After this is done click on Next.

w71_zps6dbda47e.png

4.  Click on the Repair your computer link at the bottom-left of the Install Windows window.

This link will begin the Windows 7 System Recovery Options.

w72_zps2a656a0c.png

5.  System Recovery Options will now search your hard drive(s) for any Windows 7 installations.  This will take several minutes.

No participation is required on your part at this time, wait till it has finished and the next window opens.

w73_zpsd5483f05.png

6.  Choose the Windows 7 installation that you'd like to perform the Startup Repair on, then click on Next

w74_zps490f9a17.png

7.  Click on the Startup Repair link from list of recovery tools in System Recovery Options.

w75_zps9941e858.png

For a future reference, there are several other diagnostic and recovery tools available in the Windows 7 System Recovery Options including System Restore, System Image Recovery, Windows Memory Diagnostic, and Command Prompt.

8.  The Startup Repair tool will now search for problems in the system files.

If Startup Repair finds a problem with any system files the tool may suggest a solution which you will need to confirm, or may solve the problem automatically.

w76_zps3dd75d83.png

9.  Startup Repair will now attempt to repair whatever problems it found with system files.  

Note:  If Startup Repair did not find any problems with system files you won't see this step.

w77_zpsd8be95eb.png

Important: Your computer may or may not restart several times during this repair process.  This is normal, you should allow it to continue until you see the Restart your computer to complete the repairs window. 

10.  Click on Finish, this will restart your computer.

w78_zpsd49257fb.png

It is possible that the Startup Repair will not be able to fix the problem.  If the Startup Repair tool determines this, it may automatically run the the repair after your computer restarts.  If it does not automatically run the repair but you are still having problems with Windows 7 repeat these steps to run Startup Repair again manually.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 974 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2015 - 10:15 PM

Let's do a repair installation.  This is nondestructive.

A Windows 7 Repair Installation will require a installation disc for the specific version you have installed.  If you have the installation disc needed to do the repair installation scroll down to Part B and follow the Repair Installation Instructions from there.

If your copy of Windows 7 is a retail copy and you do not have a disc, you can download a ISO image from Microsoft using the link below.

If your copy of Windows 7 isn't a retail copy you can download Windows 7 Pro from here.  This is not a torrent.  Scroll down till you find the Download buttons, click on the version which the same as yours, 32-bit or 64-bit.  When you press the button the download will begin.  You will want to download this to your desktop so that it will be easy to find.

You will need to burn the ISO image to a disc.

Part A

How to burn ISO image using Windows Burn Disk Image.

Notice:  This applies only to Windows 7 and Windows 8, earlier versions do not have this.

1.  Place a blank DVD in the tray of your optical drive and close the tray.

2.  Right click on the ISO file on your desktop

3.  Click on Burn disc image.

4.  In the image below you will see Disk burner:, this should be set to the optical drive you want to use.  Click on Verify disc after burning if you want to Windows to verity the disc image after burn.  Click on burn.

burndiskimage1_zpsb502b181.png

5.  In the image below you can see that the green progress bar, when the image is finished burning the bar will be filled.

burndiskimage2_zps17a9d6ff.png

6.  After the image has been created click on Close

Please note:  In order to boot from the installation disc you may need to change the boot order in the BIOS so that the DVD drive is the first device and the HDD/SSD is the second device.

Repair Installation Instructions

Part B

1.  Place the installation disc in the tray of the CD/DVD drive, close the tray and restart the computer.

2.  You will be prompted to press any key to start the installation, I find the space bar handy.

At this point the setup process will load files, this will take several minutes.

3.  You will now need to choose the  Language, Time, currency format, and Keyboard or input method that you'd like to use.

After this is done click on Next.

w71_zps6dbda47e.png

4.  Click on the Repair your computer link at the bottom-left of the Install Windows window.

This link will begin the Windows 7 System Recovery Options.

w72_zps2a656a0c.png

5.  System Recovery Options will now search your hard drive(s) for any Windows 7 installations.  This will take several minutes.

No participation is required on your part at this time, wait till it has finished and the next window opens.

w73_zpsd5483f05.png

6.  Choose the Windows 7 installation that you'd like to perform the Startup Repair on, then click on Next

w74_zps490f9a17.png

7.  Click on the Startup Repair link from list of recovery tools in System Recovery Options.

w75_zps9941e858.png

For a future reference, there are several other diagnostic and recovery tools available in the Windows 7 System Recovery Options including System Restore, System Image Recovery, Windows Memory Diagnostic, and Command Prompt.

8.  The Startup Repair tool will now search for problems in the system files.

If Startup Repair finds a problem with any system files the tool may suggest a solution which you will need to confirm, or may solve the problem automatically.

w76_zps3dd75d83.png

9.  Startup Repair will now attempt to repair whatever problems it found with system files.  

Note:  If Startup Repair did not find any problems with system files you won't see this step.

w77_zpsd8be95eb.png

Important: Your computer may or may not restart several times during this repair process.  This is normal, you should allow it to continue until you see the Restart your computer to complete the repairs window. 

10.  Click on Finish, this will restart your computer.

w78_zpsd49257fb.png

It is possible that the Startup Repair will not be able to fix the problem.  If the Startup Repair tool determines this, it may automatically run the the repair after your computer restarts.  If it does not automatically run the repair but you are still having problems with Windows 7 repeat these steps to run Startup Repair again manually.

I tried doing that, but no luck something about system volume corrupted. :(

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2015 - 07:45 AM

What exactly did the error message state?  We need to know the content of the message in order to know what failed and why.

When you tried to install the new graphics driver did you uninstall the old one first?  You need to uninstall the old graphics driver before installing the new one.

Something else you can try is see if the graphics problem persists in Safe Mode.  Reinstall the dedicated card and boot into Safe Mode.  Safe Mode will not use the NVIDIA driver, it will use a native Windows driver.  The resolution will poor by comparison to normal mode, but that because of the driver which is used in Safe Mode.  If the problem doesn't persist in Safe Mode you probably have a driver issue.

Please run System File Checker

The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces corrupted and incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

Click on the Start orb rsz_1rsz_1rsz_start_orb_zpshjewtibd.png and then type cmd in the Search programs and files box.

In the pane above the search box Programs will appear with cmd below it, right click on cmd and choose Run as administrator.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, enter the password, or click Allow.

This will open the Elevated Command Prompt, it will look similar to the image below.

command%20prompt%20w8_zpsxjmewau9.png

Copy and paste sfc /scannow in the command prompt, then press Enter to start the scan.  

If the scan finds no integrity  problems the scan will stop.  Type in exit, then press Enter to stop the scan.

When the scan is finished and if intergrity issues are found, please do the following.

Click on the Start orb rsz_1rsz_1rsz_start_orb_zpshjewtibd.png then copy and paste the following in the Search programs and files box.

findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log >"%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt"

This will place a new icon on the desktop titled sfcdetails.  Double click on this icon to  
the CBS log, copy and paste the log in your topic.

If this fails to place the icon on your desktop run the command from the Command Prompt.  Use the instructions I provided at the start of this tutorial.

This log may be very large, if you have problems posting it try breaking it into smaller parts.  When you copy these parts you will highlight the section you are going to copy.  If you leave that section highlighted it will give you a quick reference for where you left off.  Do not use a host website to post this.  I will not download anything to my computer unless I know exactly what it contains.

Please don't quote my posts, its a waste of bandwidth.

#11 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 974 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2015 - 08:06 PM

What exactly did the error message state?  We need to know the content of the message in order to know what failed and why.

When you tried to install the new graphics driver did you uninstall the old one first?  You need to uninstall the old graphics driver before installing the new one.

Something else you can try is see if the graphics problem persists in Safe Mode.  Reinstall the dedicated card and boot into Safe Mode.  Safe Mode will not use the NVIDIA driver, it will use a native Windows driver.  The resolution will poor by comparison to normal mode, but that because of the driver which is used in Safe Mode.  If the problem doesn't persist in Safe Mode you probably have a driver issue.

Please run System File Checker

The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces corrupted and incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

Click on the Start orb rsz_1rsz_1rsz_start_orb_zpshjewtibd.png and then type cmd in the Search programs and files box.

In the pane above the search box Programs will appear with cmd below it, right click on cmd and choose Run as administrator.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, enter the password, or click Allow.

This will open the Elevated Command Prompt, it will look similar to the image below.

command%20prompt%20w8_zpsxjmewau9.png

Copy and paste sfc /scannow in the command prompt, then press Enter to start the scan.  

If the scan finds no integrity  problems the scan will stop.  Type in exit, then press Enter to stop the scan.

When the scan is finished and if intergrity issues are found, please do the following.

Click on the Start orb rsz_1rsz_1rsz_start_orb_zpshjewtibd.png then copy and paste the following in the Search programs and files box.

findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log >"%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt"

This will place a new icon on the desktop titled sfcdetails.  Double click on this icon to  
the CBS log, copy and paste the log in your topic.

If this fails to place the icon on your desktop run the command from the Command Prompt.  Use the instructions I provided at the start of this tutorial.

This log may be very large, if you have problems posting it try breaking it into smaller parts.  When you copy these parts you will highlight the section you are going to copy.  If you leave that section highlighted it will give you a quick reference for where you left off.  Do not use a host website to post this.  I will not download anything to my computer unless I know exactly what it contains.

Please don't quote my posts, its a waste of bandwidth.

Well I tried again but this time I looked under details and this is what it said:

Problem event: start repair offline

Problem signature 1: 0.0.0.0
Problem signature 2: 0.0.0.0
Problem signature 3: unknown
Problem signature 4: 0
Problem signature 5: unknown
Problem signature 6: 1
Problem signature 7: unknown
OS version 6.1.7601.2.1.0256.1
Local ID: 1033

When I had that bad video driver update a few months back I did a system restore so it should have rolled it back to the previous version. And I cant even boot into Windows anymore so Safe Mode isn't even an option. Half the time when I select Windows from Grub I get a black screen and when it does load Windows it gives me two options Recovery or boot normally and if I chose normal it starts to boot then is interrupted by a Blue-Screen error message that flashes by to fast for me to read although I believe got into Safe Mode shortly after this happened with the install disk. But I didn't start seeing any flickering until after several attempts to fix things on my own. 

Either way I cant test my video card now cause the computer store has it and there going to run some test on it for me.

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2015 - 08:29 AM

Let us know what the repair shop finds.

#13 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 974 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2015 - 12:39 AM

Let us know what the repair shop finds.

Sorry for the late reply I just got my video card back and the computer store said its dying but there report was kind of vague. And now my motherboard and or CPU seem to be giving me trouble after updating Netrunner OS (Linux) I ran into some problems as seen in the screen-shot.

Attached Files

#14 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2015 - 08:55 AM

My experience as a phone tech:  lightning, storms, power problems often cause a "drive train" failure.  I often had to send our onsite tech with ps,mb, memory & graphic card [if/when external].  That might apply here also.

#15 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 974 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2015 - 10:18 PM

My experience as a phone tech:  lightning, storms, power problems often cause a "drive train" failure.  I often had to send our onsite tech with ps,mb, memory & graphic card [if/when external].  That might apply here also.

Yeah I'm going to have another local computer store take a look at my desktop. Fortunately I have a laptop as a backup PC. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users