Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"Cannot import F:\Software.reg: Error accessing the registry."

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 CaveStoryKing64

CaveStoryKing64

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 PM

Posted 26 September 2015 - 05:26 PM

Hello, and I recently did a re-install of Windows 8.1 Core.

(Here's why: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/589482/please-wait-after-lock-screen/

Anyway, one of the items I backed up to my Western Digital My Passport Ultra (recognized as the F drive) before re-installing was Software.reg. When double clicking to merge, an error message pops up saying:

"Cannot import F:\Software.reg: Error accessing the registry."

If someone could help me in getting this item to merge, it would be wonderful.

Sincerely,

Dylan Knowles

Edited by CaveStoryKing64, 26 September 2015 - 05:26 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wingman

Wingman

• Malware Response Team
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2015 - 09:17 AM

Try running regedit "As Administrator", then import the .reg file.

You can right click the Windows icon and run Command Prompt (Admin)... from the prompt run Regedit... from the user interface try importing the file.

Admin/Teacher at Malware Removal University You too could train to help others.
Member of UNITE
I seek not to know all the answers...but to understand the questions - Kwai Chang Caine

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,366 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 PM

Posted 27 September 2015 - 09:17 AM

Take ownership of the registry.

Open the Search charm and type in regedit.

Regedit will appear below the search box, click/tap on this.

Click/tap on Edit, then click/tap on Permissions.

Click/tap on Advanced, then select Permissions.

Click/tap on Add.

Click/tap on Full Control, then click/tap Allow.

Click/rap on OK, close the windows and exit the registry.

Edited by dc3, 27 September 2015 - 09:18 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 CaveStoryKing64

CaveStoryKing64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2015 - 01:34 PM

Click/tap on Add.

I'm sorry, but Permissions... is grayed out for me. Clicking on it does nothing. I also tried running it as administrator, but nothing different happened.

#5 CaveStoryKing64

CaveStoryKing64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2015 - 01:36 PM

Try running regedit "As Administrator", then import the .reg file.

You can right click the Windows icon and run Command Prompt (Admin)... from the prompt run Regedit... from the user interface try importing the file.

I tried your first method, didn't work. Got the same error. Also, for your second method, how do I import it, copy and paste? I am confused as to how I do what you said. More clarification would be wonderful. 

Edited by CaveStoryKing64, 27 September 2015 - 07:00 PM.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,366 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2015 - 07:27 AM

I apologize for not getting back to you sooner, but my time has been needed with my family.  I will be home all day tomorrow and will further assist you.

Dan

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 CaveStoryKing64

CaveStoryKing64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2015 - 10:01 AM

dc3, on 01 Oct 2015 - 05:27 AM, said:

I apologize for not getting back to you sooner, but my time has been needed with my family.  I will be home all day tomorrow and will further assist you.

Dan

That's ok, sorry for the misunderstanding.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,366 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2015 - 09:11 AM

I would like to see a picture of your Disk Management, so please do the following.

With the image showing on the desktop which you want to copy open the Search charm and type in snipping tool.

Snipping tool will appear below, click/tap on this to open the Dick Management.

I don't know if you have used this tool before, so I'll add instructions just in case they are needed.

You will see a image like the one below.

snipping%20tool_zpsivwjndh0.png

New is outlined in red in my image, click on this to enable the Snipping Tool.

When you move the mouse you will see a white + move, move this down to the lower right corner of the Disk Management and then press the left mouse button and move the mouse as far right  as needed to cover the width of the image.  Then raise the mouse to the top of the image and release the button.

A window will open with the new image.  Click/tap on File, then Save as.  Pictures should open, type in a name for this image, then click/tap on Save.

To post this image in your topic use the instructions below.

You can post this image in your next post.  Just below the area where you write text in a post there is the Post button, to the right of this is More Reply Options

Post2_zpsf05c0430.png

When you click on More Relpy Options  you will see Attach Files and Browse, click on Browse, this will open Pictures on your computer, click on the image you made with the Snipping Tool, then click on Attach This File, then Add Reply.

BCreply1_zpsc36d42fc.png

Edited by dc3, 02 October 2015 - 09:17 AM.

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,366 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2015 - 07:56 AM

My head has been wrapped up in what has been happening with my family.   I would like to go back to the start here and regroup.

As I understand it, USASMA suggested that you have done too many things to the operating system and hence you did a reinstall of Windows 8.1.

This should have left the registry in band new shape.  So I don't understand the software reg. you want to import.  What is it for?

After reading what USASMA posted I'm concerned that you may be once again doing things which are not needed or suggested.  So I want to have a complete understanding of exactly what the reg. file is, and what it is intended to be used for.

I would also reiterate my request to post a image of the Disk Management so I can see what drive letters are assigned to what.

#10 CaveStoryKing64

CaveStoryKing64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2015 - 07:38 PM

I would like to see a picture of your Disk Management, so please do the following.

With the image showing on the desktop which you want to copy open the Search charm and type in snipping tool.

Snipping tool will appear below, click/tap on this to open the Dick Management.

I don't know if you have used this tool before, so I'll add instructions just in case they are needed.

You will see a image like the one below.

snipping%20tool_zpsivwjndh0.png

New is outlined in red in my image, click on this to enable the Snipping Tool.

When you move the mouse you will see a white + move, move this down to the lower right corner of the Disk Management and then press the left mouse button and move the mouse as far right  as needed to cover the width of the image.  Then raise the mouse to the top of the image and release the button.

A window will open with the new image.  Click/tap on File, then Save as.  Pictures should open, type in a name for this image, then click/tap on Save.

To post this image in your topic use the instructions below.

You can post this image in your next post.  Just below the area where you write text in a post there is the Post button, to the right of this is More Reply Options

Post2_zpsf05c0430.png

When you click on More Relpy Options  you will see Attach Files and Browse, click on Browse, this will open Pictures on your computer, click on the image you made with the Snipping Tool, then click on Attach This File, then Add Reply.

BCreply1_zpsc36d42fc.png

Sorry for not sending this earlier. I had a migraine all day yesterday and today a bunch of  unexpected stuff came up that I had to go deal with. Anyway, here's the Disk Management picture you asked for!

Attached Files

#11 CaveStoryKing64

CaveStoryKing64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2015 - 07:45 PM

My head has been wrapped up in what has been happening with my family.   I would like to go back to the start here and regroup.

As I understand it, USASMA suggested that you have done too many things to the operating system and hence you did a reinstall of Windows 8.1.

This should have left the registry in band new shape.  So I don't understand the software reg. you want to import.  What is it for?

After reading what USASMA posted I'm concerned that you may be once again doing things which are not needed or suggested.  So I want to have a complete understanding of exactly what the reg. file is, and what it is intended to be used for.

I would also reiterate my request to post a image of the Disk Management so I can see what drive letters are assigned to what.

The reason why I am doing this with the Software.reg file is this: http://lifehacker.com/5983652/how-to-do-a-clean-install-of-windows-without-losing-your-files-settings-and-tweaks. I have been using it as a guide.

Edited by CaveStoryKing64, 03 October 2015 - 07:46 PM.

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,366 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2015 - 10:36 AM

So you created this folder and placed all of the settings, files, and tweaks you wanted to reinstall on the fresh installation, correct?

What file format are these in?

#13 CaveStoryKing64

CaveStoryKing64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2015 - 08:10 PM

So you created this folder and placed all of the settings, files, and tweaks you wanted to reinstall on the fresh installation, correct?

What file format are these in?

I backed up everything except for the settings since I don't change the settings much. I also added my downloads file to it for all of the portable programs (about half of them are) and he desktop file to get all those icons back. Anyway, here's everything I backed up:

• AppData
  • Desktop
  • Documents
  • Downloads
  • Music
  • Pictures
  • Program Files
  • Program Files (x86)
  • Videos
  • Software.reg

#14 CaveStoryKing64

CaveStoryKing64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2015 - 08:23 PM

Click/tap on Add.

Hey! I finally figured out why it was grayed out! I was searching around on some forums and came across this: http://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=1023348.

One of the comments said:

"If all you have highlighted in the Registry Key list is "My Computer" or nothing at all is highlighted, then by design the Permissions under Edit are dimmed.
Make sure you are selecting an actual key and then see if the Permissions under Edit are available, or just right-click the key you want to change and access Permissions via that."

So, I was able to follow all of your steps except the next to last one. The Full Control tickbox is grayed out for me. 

Here is what appears at this point:

Attached Files

Edited by CaveStoryKing64, 06 October 2015 - 08:24 PM.

#15 CaveStoryKing64

CaveStoryKing64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2015 - 06:42 PM

Click/tap on Add.

Hey! I finally figured out why it was grayed out! I was searching around on some forums and came across this: http://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=1023348.

One of the comments said:

"If all you have highlighted in the Registry Key list is "My Computer" or nothing at all is highlighted, then by design the Permissions under Edit are dimmed.
Make sure you are selecting an actual key and then see if the Permissions under Edit are available, or just right-click the key you want to change and access Permissions via that."

So, I was able to follow all of your steps except the next to last one. The Full Control tickbox is grayed out for me. 

Here is what appears at this point:

Ok, so I actually got it to work after looking up a tutorial. But even after that, it still gave me the same error.

I did some research and heard about how when you reset your PC to factory defaults the old .reg file is supposed to go with the old (pre-reset) PC and thus does not work with the "new" PC.

I think that I heard there was a way to fix this, but I don't know how. If you could help me do it, it would be wonderful.

Sincerely,

Dylan Knowles

Edited by CaveStoryKing64, 11 October 2015 - 06:43 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users