Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Seeing ads on pages despite noscript and ABP, scriptless ads or an infection?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,060 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 AM

Posted 26 September 2015 - 03:29 PM

I've started noticing adverts, simple jpegs which if one hovers over them one sees the url they would link to if you were to click them displayed at the bottom of the browser. the thing is, I run Noscript and Ablockplus (and I have set ad block plus to block all adverts, not to block most and allow the few it thinks are ok).

One page on which I've seen such adverts is a banner at the top here advertising a drinks flask for amazon: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php/234083-Making-of-Dreadnought If anyone with noscript and adblockplus would visit this page, and report if they see an advert across the top it would let me know if it's just me. NO NEED at all to allow any of the scripts on that page, or any of the scripts on other domains it uses, I haven't allowed any scripts and I've still seen this advert thing.

Other adverts I've seen lately are the same sort of thing, plain images which would act as links if clicked on, fortunately the things I've been seeing don't yet appear to be the potentially dangerous flash adverts.

I'm not seeing adverts on every site, and I haven't been seeing any flash adverts or nasty intercative ones (yet), I'm just seeing adverts on some pages, the sort of pages I would expect to serve some ads if it weren't for the fact I have an adblocker and a script blocker.

So I need to work out, is what I'm seeing:

1. merely a consequence of adverts somehow being hosted locally on some sites where the adverts are scriptless (in other words just ue basic html and don't rely on any of the things noscript blocks), so they are treated as part of the page and neither adblockplus nor noscript stops them (If this situation is the case I'm not worried, I don't hate ALL adverts, only those which are either coming from ad networks or any which use any sort of javascript or any kind of interactive plugin or flash, that is to say any kind which can be used for malvertising, plain text and pictures hosted locally on the site I don't mind, but don't know if that's what this is.).
or
2.a symptom of some sort of adware infection, I've not downloaded anything lately, I can't see anything weird running in task manager and I haven't noticed any system changes, but this could be the case.
or
3.an indication that somehow either noscript or adblockplus is not working properly an somehow either scripts are being loaded or adverts from other sites are being loaded in the way they would for people lacking ad blockers.

How can I tell which it is.

Would looking at the html source of the page perhaps let me tell if the advert is a scriptless one built into the site or if it isn't let me know that I'm either infected with adware or have something wrong with noscript and abp?

Thank You

Edited by rp88, 26 September 2015 - 03:33 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 shelf life

shelf life

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,680 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 AM

Posted 26 September 2015 - 04:57 PM

I checked the site in Firefox in Linux and did see the advert. It redirects to amazon if clicked. Seems to be a simple jpeg thats on the site itself, I think your option one is correct.

I wasnt using noscript or ABP. I use uBlock which can and does block ads, but not this one. I did create a filter for it in ublock and on refresh it wasnt there.

• Net filters
    • ||www.conceptart.org/images/banners/banner5.jpg

How Can I Reduce My Risk to Malware?

#3 rp88

rp88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3,060 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 AM

Posted 26 September 2015 - 05:08 PM

So, shelf life, you mean you think that this is what I described as "option 1"? A matter of the advert being hosted locally on the site, and not some sort of script sneaking past Noscript, not some sort of advert bypassing ad block plus (because I would think ABP only blocks known ad networks and doesn't recognise things hosted on pages as being adverts, which is what you would expect it to do)and not some sort of malware on my machine injecting an advert into the page.

Thank You for your clarifcation of this, much appreciated. It's not that that advert particularly bothered me, it's just that I though it might indicate something bad, but knowing it's just a jpeg from the site itself indicates to me that noscript and abp are both working fine (because to block adverts which were simple jpegs and coming from the site one was visiting an ad blocker would have to be able to recognise what images are adverts and which images are parts of the site's content/interface, which is a task I don't think any software will be able to do for decades). As long as it's not malware on my machine, or some flaw in noscript and/or abp that could let adverts from ad networks, or script containing adverts, through then I'm happy. Thanks.

Edited by rp88, 26 September 2015 - 05:08 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#4 leithanne

leithanne

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2015 - 06:01 PM

Adblock Plus is letting companies pay to let their ads through.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,754 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2015 - 06:49 AM

Adblock Plus has criteria to identify unobtrusive and therefore acceptable ads that don't need to be blocked. Advertisers willing to comply with the criteria can apply to have their ads added to the exception list, which will unblock them for most users.

Google, Amazon, Microsoft pay to get ads past Adblock Plus
Allowing acceptable ads in Adblock Plus

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,313 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 AM

Posted 06 October 2015 - 12:44 PM

A bit late to the party but it is easy to block that ad using Adblock Plus. Simply right click on it and choose to allow Adblock Plus to block it. You can do that

with most images and ads. You can block quietman7's avatar by right clicking on it and choosing to block using Adblock Plus.

Tons of ad providers are paying Adblock Plus NOT to block their ads. You can easily block those ads. Simply click on the ABP icon and choose Filter Preferences.

Then UNcheck the box next to Allow Some Non-Intrusive advertisements.

You can view the list of the tons of ads allowed unless you uncheck that box by clicking on view list.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users