Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 No text, unable to use start menu, windows/explorer.exe are blank

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 calebhennessy

calebhennessy

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 AM

Posted 26 September 2015 - 02:12 PM

Hello,

I have recently had an issues with Windows 7. I went to restart my computer and before it shut down it said "Installing Windows update 30% complete" ... then it shut down fine. Upon restart there was no text under and icons, the start menu does not work at all and any windows I open such as My Computer are blank and have condensed icons on the left hand side. Im wondering if it could be a corrupt user profile? or something wrong with my video card, which I have recently updated. I also think it could be some sort of spyware/malware but not entirely sure. Please if anyone knows anything about this let me know. Also a system restore did nothing to help ss well as control+alt+delete.  I will attach a few screenshots to help visualize.

Thank you

-Caleb

Attached Files

Edited by hamluis, 26 September 2015 - 02:28 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2015 - 09:32 PM

Hi calebhennessy :)

My name is Aura and I'll be assisting you with your issue.

Im wondering if it could be a corrupt user profile?

An easy way to find out would be to create a new user and make it Admin, then log in that user profile and see if the issues you're experiencing under your account are also present in the new one. Can you do that?

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 calebhennessy

calebhennessy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2015 - 11:44 PM

Hello!

Thank you for the reply. I am not sure if I would be able to because I cannot access the start menu and even if I could, there is no text in any of the windows or on buttons such as "ok" or "cancel". If there is another way to setup a profile without already being in a profile, I am unaware of it. Any help would be appreciated, if all is lost I will have to save what I can onto my external and format the C drive.

Again, thank you for the response!
-Caleb Hennessy

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2015 - 10:20 AM

If you press on the Win Key + R keys to open the Run box, you can type in control panel and press on Enter, this will open it.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 calebhennessy

calebhennessy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2015 - 12:05 PM

I have done that, and I even used Cmd to create another admin profile. But the problem is there is. I text at all in any windows. So control panel is quite useless, and the new profile doesn't look any different.

-Caleb

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2015 - 12:07 PM

Alright, if you boot in Safe Mode (or Safe Mode with Networking), are the issues still present?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-start-windows-in-safe-mode/

unite_blue.png

#7 calebhennessy

calebhennessy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2015 - 12:30 PM

Sorry for the typo before... But yes same deal in safe mode as well. I mean is this a bug/virus? Or is it something to do with a failed windows update? I basically cannot access anything other than whats on my desktop that is an application. There is no text in any folders, windows or anything, as you can see from the pictures above.

-Caleb

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2015 - 12:32 PM

I would go with corrupt system files. Alright follow the instructions below please.

EndqYRa.pngSystem File Checker (SFC)
Follow the instructions below to run a SFC scan on your system and to provide the CBS log in your next reply;
  • On Windows Vista & 7, click on the Windows Start Menu, then enter cmd in the search box, right-click on the cmd icon and select Spcusrh.pngRun as Administrator
  • On Windows 8, drag your cursor in the bottom-left corner, and right-click on the metro menu preview, then select Command Prompt (Admin);
  • On Windows 8.1, right click on the Windows logo in the bottom-left corner and select Command Prompt (Admin);
  • Enter the command below and press on Enter;
    sfc /scannow
    Note: There's a space between "sfc" and "/scannow";
  • Once the scan is complete, enter the command below and press on Enter
    copy %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log "%userprofile%\Desktop\cbs.txt"
  • A file called cbs.txt will have appeared on your Desktop. Upload the file on Dropbox, Google Drive or OneDrive and post the download URL for it here;
Note: Please note that the CBS.log is volatile, which means that if you don't upload it after the SFC scan is completed, it won't contains the information from the scan anymore. So archive it and upload it as soon as you can.

unite_blue.png

#9 calebhennessy

calebhennessy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2015 - 04:20 PM

Hello,

Sorry for the late reply. Had some stuff going on. here is a link to the cbs.txt

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hf31ulrju1iky2l/cbs.txt?dl=0

-Caleb

#10 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2015 - 07:55 PM

Do you happen to have the program Virtual Clone Drive installed?

unite_blue.png

#11 calebhennessy

calebhennessy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2015 - 08:08 PM

I do not, it is possible I could install it, it eally depends on if the installer has a usuable interface. Do you have any idea what might have caused this if its not a virus?

#12 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2015 - 08:12 PM

Don't install it, I'm asking because a few users online had that issue and it was caused by Virtual Clone Drive. And I honestly don't know what caused this, could be corrupt Registry keys and values. We can do a quick malware check-up and see where it leads us. Follow the instructions below please.

zcMPezJ.pngAdwCleaner - Scan Mode
  • Download AdwCleaner and move it to your Desktop;
  • Right-click on AdwCleaner.exe and select Spcusrh.pngRun as Administrator (for Windows Vista, 7, 8, 8.1 and 10 users);
  • Accept the EULA (I accept), let the database update, then click on Scan;
  • Let the scan complete. Once it's done, click on the Logfile button to open the scan log;
  • Please copy/paste the content of the log that will open in your next reply;

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users