Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

3d printing with linux

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_nickko_*

Guest_nickko_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 26 September 2015 - 01:13 PM

hi to all,

please, i wish to know some things on 3d printing with linux 

many thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,067 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2015 - 04:06 PM

What do you want to know specifically about 3d printing, in many ways it's the same process whatever operating system you are using. You make a model in a 3d program, you convert it to a fomrat another program can handle, then you check it to make sure it's "watertight" and "manifold" and alos to ensure it doesn't have any parts too fine to be printed, then you convert it again to something the printer can understdan (this varies with type of printer and doesn't apply if you use a web service to do the printing for you, in such cases they generally accept uploads of stl files), then you let it squirt out molten plastic and built the shape layer by layer. The modelling can be done with blender, a free open source 3d modelling (and animation as well but that function won't be using when mdoelling for 3d printing) program which exists in version for linux windows and mac. After you've made the model best to get to know the specifics of the printer used for printing before you do the later converting.

Edited by rp88, 26 September 2015 - 04:06 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#3 Guest_nickko_*

Guest_nickko_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 27 September 2015 - 12:37 AM

good morning dear rp88

i thank you very much for the reply

basically i am interested in 3d printing from stl files rather than create my own 3d models

i want to buy a 3d printer but i do not know if i can use linux to print only from stl files

there is a very big demand for 3d printing  and i am thinking to do some business

thanks

#4 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,688 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 PM

Posted 27 September 2015 - 12:54 AM

Hi Nickko

Here's a few things to read.

Useful Software Packages - RepRapWiki

How to Design Things to 3D Print With Open Source Software