Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

running programs from server

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_nickko_*

Guest_nickko_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 26 September 2015 - 12:25 PM

hi to all,

i am planning to build a small render farm with two pc's and a server

my question is if i can run my programs from the server or if i can send my projects to be rendered on the server

i am planning to render videos (sony vegas pro 8, daz bryce 3d, rhino 3d)

can i do this with any windows server eg 2003 or 2008 r2 ?

any further infos would be really nice and of a great help to me

may thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2015 - 10:12 AM

You would check those programs to see if they can be installed on server 2003/8 then you would have the answer to your question.

#3 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 PM

Posted 28 September 2015 - 04:57 PM

Why wouldnt you just have a good worrk station with a good GPU?

You wouldnt need a server, Win7 pro would eba  good choice and allocate PhysX to GPU for processing. A good Xeon would do the trick as well, even have 2 CPU's.

#4 Guest_nickko_*

Guest_nickko_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 29 September 2015 - 11:30 AM

hi to all,

i wish to thank all very much for the replies

please, kindly notice that i do not have any previous experience with any server os so that's i ask

i am not quite sure if i really want a sever or not

possibly a workstation with xeon cpu can do the job but i think is out of my budget...

i can buy a good server from ebay with two dual cpu's  something like dell poweredge for just 245 euros plus shipping

my sony vegas 8 is not depent on video card for rendering nor my bryce 3d

yes there some 3d programs that need a quadro fx card for rendering but in my case i need a good cpu like opter with dual core

i have been told by some professionals that opteron is a much better choice with video rendering since it's memory controller is integrated in the cpu

many thanks

#5 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 PM

Posted 29 September 2015 - 10:31 PM

You could try them older 2x 4 core poweredge, but don't be surprised if it doesn't perform the way you expect. The more cpu's you have the better that's the whole point in your rendering farm. You could possibly cluster those poweredges, but then you might as well invest into a newer 2x 12 core opteron. Here's an article of a guy who built one in a case for under $3,500 US. It's 24 core total. Most of the money will go into the cpu and server motherboard. http://blog.digitaltutors.com/building-a-home-render-farm-without-breaking-the-bank/ To compare a 2x 12 core xeon poweredge blade would cost anywhere from $7,000-9,000 US. As you can see this stuff gets expensive quickly.

Here is a ebay 2x 6 core (12 core total) for $1,200. However, you still gotta buy rack and whatever it does not come with etc. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-PowerEdge-R710-Server-2x3-33GHz-12-Core-96GB-4x300GB-SAS-H700-Dual-PS-X5680-/141786626549?hash=item21032439f5

Edited by technonymous, 29 September 2015 - 10:35 PM.

#6 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2015 - 01:02 PM

How useful a bunch of cpu cores can be is dependent on the software.  If it's not written to be hyper threaded, not to be confused with multiprocessing, having  bunch of cpu cores won't do you a thing.

You also need to be clear on two aspects;  server vs workstation hardware and server vs workstation software.

You want the best hardware you can get.  Rendering needs tons of memory, in addition to cpus, so whatever the mainboard supports maximum is what you need to have in the hardware.

Then you have to consider what OS is supported by the software. For example Bryce is only supported on workstation OS not server OS

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bryce_(software)

You will note where it says in 2006 it "support for dual-processor systems as well as hyper-threading".  That is pretty lame considering server hardware has up to 8 cpu's average with many cores for each.  So server hardware isn't what you want for this software

Point here is start with the software you want to run requirements and built from there not the other way around.

#7 Guest_nickko_*

Guest_nickko_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 03 October 2015 - 02:39 AM

good morning and many many thanks to all for the replies and for the links

i know that i have to know many things before anything else regarding my rendering farm

it seems also that a server is out of a question in my case so i have to search for some workstations witin my budget

i have to thank again all for the valubale infos

#8 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,516 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2015 - 02:42 AM

Yep, the software needs to support multiprocessing. The idea behind using mutliprocessing server clusters is so that one server can handle one workload and another one handling something else. Movie prodcution 3D modeling takes enormous cpu cyces and can take days, weeks to render scenes that only look like seconds on the big movie screen. Once every scene is developed then it all gets put together into a movie timeline. Here is a list I got off another website of all the software that is used in developing the movie Avatar. Some of this software can run in the thousands of dollars. Especially core stuff like Autodesk CAD.

Autodesk Maya (most shots)

Pixar Renderman for Maya

Autodesk SoftImage XSI

Luxology Modo (model design, e.g. the Scorpion)

Lightwave (low-res realtime environments)

Houdini (Hell’s Gate scenes, interiors)

ZBrush (creature design)

Autodesk 3d design max (space shots, control room screens and HUD renderings)

Autodesk MotionBuilder (for real-time 3d visualisations)

Eyeon Fusion (image compositing)

The Foundry Nuke Compositor (previz image compositing)

Autodesk Smoke (color correction)

Autodesk Combustion (compositing)

Massive (vegetation simulation)

Mudbox (floating mountains)

Avid(video editing)

Adobe After Effects (compositing, real-ime visualizations)

PF Track (motion tracking, background replacement)

Adobe Illustrator (HUD and screens layout)

Adobe Photoshop (concept art, textures)

Adobe Premiere (proofing, rough compositing with AE)

Countless plugins for each platform, some of them Ocula for Nuke, Ktakatoa for 3ds max, Sapphire for Combustion/AE.

Edited by technonymous, 03 October 2015 - 02:44 AM.

#9 Guest_nickko_*

Guest_nickko_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 03 October 2015 - 05:02 AM

hi dear technonymous

i have to thank you so much for the infos

yes, i know the programs you have mention

personally i am working with bryce 3d and sony vegas

also, i didn't know that there is a very beig diferrence between multiprocessing and multic Core !

rendering farm is not that simple as i first thought but i am stilll interested in this kind of business

please, don't think about anyhing special

i only need to buy three workstations and/or a server for my job

thanks again

#10 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,516 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2015 - 05:19 AM

In a production type of business you will soon realize that time equals money and you need to spread out the workload. Even a poweredge dual 4 core can help a lot with projects. This way jobs can be handled by the servers cpu and memory instead of taxing your desktop as you work on your desktop. The more cpu power the more expensive the poweredges are.

#11 Guest_nickko_*

Guest_nickko_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 05 October 2015 - 10:14 AM

good afternoon dear technonymous

i thnak you so much for the given infos

i know that i have tolearn too much things first !

thanks again for your reply

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users