Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

About windows activation

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 gejmer

gejmer

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 PM

Posted 26 September 2015 - 11:29 AM

I purchased legal licence for windows and I know that KMS activator (KMSPico) is illegal method to activate windows and office. I never plan to use it but I'm interested how that activator really works. I've always thought windows is secure system since activation process is online with serial key that is unique to every legaly purchased licence. I would be very thankfull if someone answered this couple of questions :

1) Who made KMSPico , did some hacker write it in c++ or is it microsoft product ?

2) What does KMSPico actually do to windows system so it can bypass online activation, how it actually works ?

3) Why didn't microsoft protect its system with windows update ?

4) How can I protect my system from activators like this ?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 adamforum

adamforum

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 PM

Posted 28 September 2015 - 12:34 AM

I purchased legal licence for windows and I know that KMS activator (KMSPico) is illegal method to activate windows and office. I never plan to use it but I'm interested how that activator really works. I've always thought windows is secure system since activation process is online with serial key that is unique to every legaly purchased licence. I would be very thankfull if someone answered this couple of questions :

1) Who made KMSPico , did some hacker write it in c++ or is it microsoft product ?

2) What does KMSPico actually do to windows system so it can bypass online activation, how it actually works ?

1) Microsoft supports a licensing mode called Key Management Service (KMS), but it is typically only used (available?) for volume licensing accounts.  I remember playing with it at work a few years back and it seems like there had to be some number (I want to say 25 or more -- but maybe it is only 5?) Windows systems for the KMS system to become operational.

I'm not familiar with KMSPico, but based on a quick Google search it reveals that KMSPico is not a Microsoft product and appears to primarily be used to facilitate software piracy of Microsoft Windows.

2) I've never used KMSPico and do not know specifically how it works. (I don't think the discussion would be permitted on this forum)

3) Microsoft does provide regular updates for supported software. Note: In the US, the Digital Millenium Copyright Act (DMCA) allows entities, like Microsoft, to prosecute software piracy, even if the software protection is trivial to defeat.  Consequently, they often don't spend much time on protecting the software from piracy and instead enforce their licenses in the courts.

4) If you need/are permitted to use KMS, I would recommend following Microsoft's directions:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff793434.aspx

By default, most home/small business users can simply activate against Microsoft's activation servers (via Internet or phone).

Good luck,

AF

#3 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 PM

Posted 28 September 2015 - 02:02 AM

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forum-rules/

No subject matter will be allowed whose purpose is to defeat existing copyright or security measures. If a user persists and/or the activity is obviously illegal the staff reserves the right to remove such content and/or ban the user. This would also mean encouraging the use or continued use of pirated software is not permitted, and subject to the same consequences.

That being said if you're really just interested in learning the who what where & why of KMSPico go here.

#4 gejmer

gejmer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 PM

Posted 29 September 2015 - 11:58 AM

Thank you for your replies and links, they 've been helpfull  :thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users