Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Getting a connection on opposite side of house.wertyuio'[ASDFGHJKL;'

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jake513

jake513

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 PM

Posted 26 September 2015 - 09:12 AM

--I don't know what happened to the title--

I recently moved into a house double the size of the old one, and this one has an upstairs. I used to be no more than 20 feet from my router with one wall, and would get our whole connection. The router size went up to 600 sq. Ft. then the current house and can get 1/6 of what we should be getting, upstairs and in the corner of the house, through a couple walls. I used to be able to get that, but now recently I can't. I use a desktop and it doesn't have a wireless card, so I use one of those TP-LINK wireless sticks I picked up for 20$. I was wondering, what are the ways I can get a full connection upstairs, I can get another router but I can't use a direct wireless cord to the downstairs as it is a long path(and is very ugly so no). Would getting and installing a pci express wireless card be enough to get a signal? Or would getting a stronger router help? I can tell the internet stick I use is wearing down, are there stronger ones I should look for?

Edited by jake513, 26 September 2015 - 09:14 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 shelf life

shelf life

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 PM

Posted 26 September 2015 - 01:51 PM

I think the wireless PCI adapter would get you more range than a USB adapter simply because of the antennas sticking out of the back of the PC.

How Can I Reduce My Risk to Malware?

#3 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 PM

Posted 28 September 2015 - 10:10 AM

Advantage of a usb wifi stick is you can put it on an extender.  I have my wife's laptop with one the usb wifi is out in the hallway where is gets excellent reception.

Usual first step is to relocate your router to be more central in the building.  That would be your first step.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users