Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Want environment enhancement in playback devices

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 TheFabz

TheFabz

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 AM

Posted 25 September 2015 - 10:41 PM

I recently acquired a PC custom build.

speccy summary

Operating System

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

CPU

AMD Phenom II X4 840  16 °C

Propus 45nm Technology

RAM

8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 669MHz (9-9-9-24)

Motherboard

ASUSTeK Computer INC. M4N68T-M-V2 (AM3) 30 °C

Graphics

HP w1858 (1366x768@60Hz)

512MB NVIDIA GeForce 8400GS (EVGA)                41 °C

Storage

931GB Western Digital WDC WD10 EZEX-75ZF5A0 SCSI Disk Device (SATA)                                             32 °C

Optical Drives

TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S223C SCSI CdRom Device

Audio

High Definition Audio Device

On my old PC, I enjoyed listening to music with the environment option in Playback devices >> Speakers/Headphones >> Enhancements.

On my new PC, I have what you see in the attachment.

Is there any way to get the environment option on my new PC?

PS: I had to attach the image instead of imbedding it because for some damn reason this board truncates the URL from google photos.

Attached Files

Edited by TheFabz, 25 September 2015 - 10:47 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,167 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 AM

Posted 25 September 2015 - 10:58 PM

I'm not clear what specific enhancements you want, but the driver shows as supplied by Microsoft - i.e. Windows default driver. Have you tried installing the sound driver from ASUS?

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/M4N68TM_V2/HelpDesk_Download/

Your mainboard has VIA VT1708S onboard sound:

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/M4N68TM_V2/specifications/

which claims: "The VIA Vinyl VT1708S is embedded with software utilities such as environment emulation, EQ, extender, and optional sound effects, including support for QSound, DTS Connect, DTS Surround Sensation, Dolby PCEE program, Creative Audio Program and Third Party Microphone Array Technology."

http://www.viatech.com/en/silicon/legacy/audio/vt1708s/

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 TheFabz

TheFabz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2015 - 11:57 PM

I tracked down a pic of what I want and attached it.

When environment is highlighted and enabled, the setting drop-down has options to simulate the accoustics of different rooms: bathroom, auditorium, etc. It seems as if this is a feature of Realtek Audio Driver, and I remember a source saying such in the past, but can't remember who it was.

But I installed Realtek Audio Driver, and can see it on Control Panel. But for lack of a better description or understanding, the Microsoft audio driver seems to be overruling it.

EDIT: I've already tried uninstalling Microsoft's audio driver through Windows Search to see if RealTek would take over. Microsoft audio driver simply reinstalls itself whenever I do this.

Attached Files

Edited by TheFabz, 26 September 2015 - 12:22 AM.

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,167 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2015 - 01:14 AM

You can only have features the audio chipset provides, why are you trying to install a Realtek Audio Driver onto VIA Vinyl audio - are you using the onboard sound or a sound card? If it is the onboard, did you go to the ASUS support site I linked to and download the VIA Audio Driver V6.0.1.9500 for Windows XP 32bit/XP 64bit/Windows Vista 32bit/Vista 64bit/7 32bit/7 64bit?

Edited by Platypus, 26 September 2015 - 01:15 AM.

#5 TheFabz

TheFabz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2015 - 12:30 PM

I realize now I should have said a lot more in the OP, more so even than in my reply. I installed Realtek before I came here based on that memory.

I uninstalled RealTek and installed VIA. I now have the environment feature. The menu's a bit different, but it works.

Thank you.

Edited by TheFabz, 26 September 2015 - 12:31 PM.

#6 TheFabz

TheFabz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2015 - 10:08 PM

I have a new problem. The environment option works, but sounds terrible. Unless I choose an option with a very subtle change, it sounds --on headphones--like putting the speaker behind a fan.

Please don't respond immediately. I'm a bit too tipsy right now.

Tomorrow, I'll open the case and see if the headphone jack comes from the mobo or a sound card. The USB port to the right of the headphone jack is damaged, and I wonder if that's related to the sound quality--if the damage goes beyond the USB port, that is.

#7 sparklestar

sparklestar

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 PM

Posted 27 September 2015 - 03:35 AM

Different sound card's (or onboards) enhancements are going to sound different or have different options. Probably this computer's onboard sound is just lousy (at least when it comes to trying to run fancy enhancements). If you have no luck with it, imo, consider buying a Creative sound card.

#8 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,167 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2015 - 09:24 AM

There are complaints about VIA onboard sound being disappointing, but it probably shouldn't be as bad as the behind a fan comment suggests...

#9 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:01:52 PM

Posted 27 September 2015 - 09:37 AM

Tomorrow, I'll open the case and see if the headphone jack comes from the mobo or a sound card. The USB port to the right of the headphone jack is damaged, and I wonder if that's related to the sound quality--if the damage goes beyond the USB port, that is.

You probably don't have to open the case to see where it is connected.

All you have to do is look on the back of the case.

If you have a soundcard it will be at the bottom of the case in one of the expansion slots. If no sound card is installed then you are using onboard sound.

#10 TheFabz

TheFabz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2015 - 11:36 AM

Derp realizations. Sound card wouldn't be attached to the headphone jack. And the headphone jack is not damaged. Easily confirmed by using the environment option with the speakers, and I get the same effect.

The mobo has integrated sound--no sound card. I'm thinking of getting an external sound-card. If yes, this topic should probably be silent until I get it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users