Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Safely eject media

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 saluqi

saluqi

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 PM

Posted 25 September 2015 - 09:53 PM

Dell XPS 8700, running Windows 7 Professional.  I had occasion to attach a WD Passport 2 TB external drive, to retrieve from it a photo for my LinkedIn profile.  Now when I want to eject the Passport it tells me that some program is using it, try again later.  When I do this, no programs are open.  Once or twice previously I have been able to eject the Passport under similar circumstances.  So what is wrong now?

Items on the taskbar include the Start button, Google Chrome, Internet Explorer (which I never use), Windows Explorer, Windows Media Player (I don't use that either, for such purposes I use VLC but have not yet installed it on this machine), MBAM Premium, and McAfee Internet Security.  In the system area at lower right are (from right) the clock, speakers, Internet connection symbol, the Windows 10 Upgrade, the "Solve PC Issues" flag, Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit Premium (running), and the hidden icons button.

Do I perhaps have to shut down MBAE before ejecting the external drive?  I think that and MBAM Premium are the only things I've added since I last used the external drive.

I don't want to leave the Passport attached when I'm not using it for data transfer, because it contains backup data I wouldn't like to see corrupted or encrypted.  I have other copies, but still . . .

EDIT - disabling MBAE did not fix the problem.

Edited by saluqi, 26 September 2015 - 09:48 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 LucianCJ

LucianCJ

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 AM

Posted 26 September 2015 - 03:08 PM

Hi

It can be the McAfee scan on the drive or some internal Windows tasks that access the drive. You can try to see is this occurs again with McAfee disabled.

#3 sparklestar

sparklestar

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 PM

Posted 26 September 2015 - 05:23 PM

Until you have a solution, what you can do is turn off the computer. It's always safe to disconnect it when the computer is off.

#4 jcgriff2

jcgriff2

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 PM

Posted 26 September 2015 - 08:36 PM

Use SysInternals Process Monitor from Microsoft TechNet to determine exactly what is using the external drive.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645

It will list the process name.

Run ProcMon with the external HDD plugged in, then try "safely eject", then immediately stop the scrolling. Click on 3rd icon in; 2nd row to stop "capture"

Click on "Tools" - select by File --- or scroll through the saved data looking for the external HDD drive letter/

Regards. . .

jcgriff2
Microsoft MVP 2009-2015
Microsoft Windows Insider MVP 2018 - Present

#5 saluqi

saluqi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2015 - 01:19 PM

Thanks, procmon pointed me in the right direction (though I never figured out how to stop the scrolling??).  "CCleaner monitoring" turned out to be the culprit - with that disabled on startup, I could "safely eject" the Passport.

Question arising, how important is it to have "CCleaner monitoring" running?  Dare I suspect, not very? <G>  Probably the same could be said of several other of those startup programs.

Of course I used CCleaner to disable its own monitoring function . . .  <G>.

I should have thought of going to sysinternals before this.  After all, I've used several of those utilities before.  Must be getting soft(er?) in the head - chalk it up to old age <G>.  Anyhow, much thanks for reminding me!  I went ahead and downloaded the whole sysinternals suite (this was the only computer of mine that didn't already have them).

#6 jcgriff2

jcgriff2

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 PM

Posted 27 September 2015 - 08:38 PM

Hi. . .

Glad that ProcMon helped you solve this.

To turn off scrolling & capturing in ProcMon, look at the top-left; look down to the 2nd row of icons.  Hover mouse over each one (tooltip info will show).  The 3rd icon in from the left is "scroll".  Left-click on it to stop the scrolling.

As you probably know, ProcMon entries fly by very fast and I was trying to instruct on how to stop the scrolling.

Good luck with the rest of the SysInternals Suite.  My favorites are ProcExp, ProcMon & AutoRuns.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

Microsoft MVP 2009-2015
Microsoft Windows Insider MVP 2018 - Present

#7 saluqi

saluqi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2015 - 11:13 PM

Re: Sysinternals favorites, those are mine too.  Wasn't too familiar with ProcMon before, but I guess I'm not yet too old to learn <G>.

For an old dinosaur like me, it's amusing/bemusing to watch this stuff fly by.  I go back to JCL card stacks, and in fact before that to the pre-electronic age (Hollerith cards, anyone? <G>).  Used to code in assembler, when the situation called for it (which in early days it often did <G>).  Before that, mainframe stuff.  Hey, you use the tools available at the time, my interest was always more the scientific data processing than how you got there, I learned programming in self defense because our IBM System 360/370 system programmers - all 30 of them - were so busy playing StarTrek (a mainframe game back then) they had no time to help me with database analysis (hey, it was an oil company, as long as things worked, who knows or cares?).  So I got mad, borrowed a book and started writing code.  Non-spaghetti Fortran, PL/1, Mark IV, early SQL versions, etc., I don't even remember them all now.  Whatever works.  Out in the field I used an HP-25 pocket calculator (I still mourn the demise of the HP calculator series, "reverse Polish notation" and all - too sophisticated for the mass market, I think).  49 program steps.  Iterative programming, anybody? <G>.  Probably couldn't remember now how I did that, but it worked <G>.  Sitting in a bouncing 17 foot Boston Whaler, 30 miles offshore in the Persian Gulf <G>.  Iranian gunboats on one side, Saudi ones on the other, never a dull moment <G>.

Back in the procedural-code era, I built pretty good mousetraps, some of them are probably still running.  Got tired of getting ripped off, so got out of the software-development game.  No regrets, really.  I did enjoy writing clean lean efficient code.  Once upon a time <G>.  Nostalgia is OK, but new interesting stuff is better <G>.

#8 murrayhawk

murrayhawk

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 AM

Posted 02 April 2017 - 06:52 AM

Hi jcgriff2

Thank u for the advice. I have downloaded Sysinternals Process Monitor from Microsoft from the link you gave me. I will give it a try and see how I get on with that and I will let you know how I get on with it Thank u. Murrayhawk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users