Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing Windows XP Pro, BIOS says CD ROM (not installed)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 adrianzen

adrianzen

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 AM

Posted 25 September 2015 - 07:17 PM

Hello:

I would like to reinstall XP Pro from a CD but BIOS says "CD ROM (Not Installed)" and it will not boot from any CD.  As an aside, BIOS also says "USB (Not Installed).

Appreciate any help. Thank-you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sparklestar

sparklestar

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 PM

Posted 27 September 2015 - 04:20 AM

Can you reset the bios to defaults?

Is everything hooked up properly inside the computer? Can you try putting the CD Rom on a different plug (idk if it's sata or pata or if you even have multiple pata spots though).  How about the CD drive's jumper settings, are they set correctly for how you have it hooked up?

#3 adrianzen

adrianzen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2015 - 06:40 PM

I did reset the BIOS to default settings I think (It's a Dell Dimension 1100: so I turned on Caps Lock, Scroll Lock and Num Lock, followed by pressing Alt + E, Alt + F, and Alt + B. The result and was that the "CD ROM (not installed)" entry was deleted altogether from the BIOS.

Thinking of downloading the BIOS A01 file but not sure if that would change anything. 

I will look into what you suggested about the jumpers. When you say "a different plug" I am not so sure what you mean.  Is the CD Drive connected to the mobo and the power supply?

Thanks.

Edited by adrianzen, 27 September 2015 - 06:52 PM.

#4 sparklestar

sparklestar

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2015 - 09:59 PM

The cd drive should be connected to power and to the motherboard. If it's an old style cd drive then it uses a molex D plug for power, and an IDE (PATA) cable for data. If it's new then it uses the new power plug and sata cable. You should confirm that everything is plugged in properly, because, I don't know the history of the computer so I don't know if it's even attached? Or are you trying to use an external usb cd drive?

#5 adrianzen

adrianzen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2015 - 06:58 PM

Thank-you, the CD Drive was not connected to the motherboard.  After I fixed that and set the defaults again, the CD Rom showed up in the BIOS and I was able to reinstall Windows XP.

#6 sparklestar

sparklestar

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2015 - 12:06 AM

Well, there's your problem  :)

Cool that it's fixed now :thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users