Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista never recognizes program publishers and asks if I want to run it.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 relem

relem

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 AM

Posted 25 September 2015 - 05:23 PM

I'm running Vista SP2 on a HP laptop with an Intel I3 processor.  I recently installed some Brother printer software and had to restart to finish.  After I logged back in, I got a message for every startup program saying the publisher could not be verified and did I really want to run the program.  This is happening for everything I try to run, including windows system files such as the control panel and its subelements.  The same problem occurs when opening a text or script file for editing.  I also cannot access "Help & Support", it just says files not found.

I've run a Norton's scan on the drive and then MalwareBytes Antimalware (free version).  MalwareBytes found 12 PUPs and 1 malware file.  I removed all of those, the PUPs were all related to Conduit which I had briefly install last year and uninstalled almost immediately.

One of my administrator account's desktop icons open as small icons stacked on the upper left side of the screen and cannot be moved or size changed.  In fact, I can't find the display Icon on the control panel.  It still is supposed to be there, is it not?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 djkea

djkea

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 AM

Posted 11 April 2016 - 06:02 AM

Hello.  I am experiencing a very similar problem when downloading programs.  Publisher can't be verified and then the download fails.  Just wondered if you ever found a resolution.  Suprised you did not get any replies here on Bleeping.

#3 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 AM

Posted 11 April 2016 - 07:04 AM

Try Option One or Option Two in this article: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/124367-open-file-security-warning-unblock-file.html

#4 relem

relem
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 AM

Posted 12 April 2016 - 06:57 PM

djkea,  I finally gave up on Vista and upgraded directly to windows 10 using the MS insiders project downloads.  It's running fine on the same PC that vista did.

Agouti,  The files I had problems with were all my executables, including everything from the Vista OS.  I had already tried the unblocking thing on other programs but most had no provision for doing it.  The ones I was able to try it on (check box present) did not respond.  Thanks for the try though.

I took the vista drive and installed it as a second drive as all of my data files and non-MS program downloads were still available.  I have since been able to install a good number of those programs from the vista drive to the win 10 drive and they've been working just fine, go figure!  I suspect there is basically something wrong with the vista OS.  I'm not that deep into operating systems anymore.

I like win 10 pretty well, no major difficulties except the complete absence of a on-board help system.  You have to go to the main MS site and start searching.  It's more direct to just do a search on duck duck go.  Any MS answers will show there as well as Bleeping Computer and others.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users