Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is this Graphics Card Compatible with my System?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Jammyleo98

Jammyleo98

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 AM

Posted 25 September 2015 - 04:24 PM

I am going to buy a new graphics card but I am unsure of its compatibility with my current PC setup. 

I currently have:

RAM: 8GB DDR3 1333mhz

Hard Drive: 1TB S-ATAiii 6.0Gb/s

Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 730 2GB (You can probably see why i want to upgrade)

PSU: 450W Corsair VS

Monitor: BenQ 21.5" VW2245Z

Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-H

CPU: Intel Core i5 4690

Case: Zalman Z1

I would like to upgrade my current graphics card to this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121929&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction-Components&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-Components-_-Video%20Card%20-%20Nvidia-_-ASUS-_-14121929&cm_sp=&AID=11892368&PID=3962334&SID=

I am aware it is likely my power supply will need to be upgraded.

Please could you help me choose how many Watts?

And will my mother board support it?

If anything else is incompatible or you need any more information it would be great is you could ask me.

Thank You,

James Earl

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sparklestar

sparklestar

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 PM

Posted 27 September 2015 - 05:20 AM

Your motherboard supports up to PCI express 2.0 and the video card is 3.0 (so I think that means it won't push huge resolution textures through as fast as it could with a better motherboard??)

#3 Jammyleo98

Jammyleo98
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2015 - 08:49 AM

Your motherboard supports up to PCI express 2.0 and the video card is 3.0 (so I think that means it won't push huge resolution textures through as fast as it could with a better motherboard??)

I have researched this and apparently games "will run perfectly, with very very little performance loss"

I guess this means it is compatible,

#4 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2015 - 09:05 AM

Yes, very little if any loss in real world tests of graphics cards going from PCIe 3.0 to 2.0 slots.  For power supplies Nvidia recommends a 400w or above PSU for a GTX960 (it's a relatively low power (120w) draw card).  The Asus card is factory overclocked, so may draw more power than standard, but it only needs one 6 pin PCIe connector.  I suspect it will be fine with a 450w PSU.

7sbvuf-6.png

#5 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 PM

Posted 27 September 2015 - 09:06 AM

After looking at various reviews it seems 400 watts is the bare minimum for a psu but 500 or greater is recommended. Make sure the psu you pick has sufficient amps on the 12 volt rail. Anything above 30-32 should be good.

This is a double wide card so make sure you have the room to put it in.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#6 Jammyleo98

Jammyleo98
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2015 - 03:19 PM

Ok, thanks guys :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users