Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cleaning windows

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 spngbobis4me

spngbobis4me

• Members
  • 389 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 PM

Posted 25 September 2015 - 03:43 PM

I was just wondering what is a good free program or programs to run as general maintenance to clean up the system and the registry? Thank you.

Edited by hamluis, 25 September 2015 - 05:13 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to All Other Apps - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2015 - 04:01 PM

CCleaner. Free version is fine, does a lot of things. Keep in mind the Windows registry does not need to be "cleaned", like ever.

#3 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 PM

Posted 25 September 2015 - 04:10 PM

Even though I use Auslogics and Wise Registry Cleaners, I would advise anyone to use 'em very carefully, wisely, judiciously, surgically, selectively, cautiously, etc., and make sure one has restorable backups, restorable System Restore Points, restorale Registry backups as well...for restoring.

Edited by RolandJS, 25 September 2015 - 06:30 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,567 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2015 - 05:12 PM

Registry cleaner - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Registry_cleaner

Registry Cleaner, Animal - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/526247/tune-up-utilities-2014-problem/?p=3303494

Louis

#5 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 PM

Posted 25 September 2015 - 05:41 PM

The average user doesn't need a registry cleaner. Period. The need for a registry cleaner is the modern equivalent of an old wives tale that won't die.

#6 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,552 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2015 - 06:36 PM

Registry editors/cleaners serve a very limited, very few specific purposes - agreed!  Such utilities, along with utilities such as ComboFix, RKill, RougeKiller,  Adware Removal Tool [not to be confused with Adwcleaner!], Sophos viri & rootkit killers, JRT, Drive Cleanup, and a few others, should only be used under guidance & directorship of in-the-know users, power-users, expert users.  Just as Malware Section has its experts who lead and guide the masses through proper malware software usages -- let the registry editing/cleaning be done under likewise folks.

Edited by RolandJS, 25 September 2015 - 06:37 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#7 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 1,150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 PM

Posted 27 September 2015 - 12:00 AM

How then is something like AdwCleaner not a registry cleaner also?  Running a scan will give a list of possible or actual infections and some of the reported information lists Registry items.  If one chooses then the "Clean" the reported items from the scan, and there are Registry items listed as possible infection items, this would seem to be "cleaning the Registry".  Now, is this or is this not acting as a Registry cleaner?  and is this safe for an average user to do?

#8 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 1,150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 PM

Posted 27 September 2015 - 12:03 AM

If we use AdwCleaner, it scans and gives a listing of Registry items, then when/if we choose to Clean, is there a way to NOT CLEAN the Registry items, and therefore do the cleaning but not make any changes to Registry?

#9 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 PM

Posted 27 September 2015 - 04:16 AM

AdwCleaner is a specialized tool that is used to help with malware removal by a trained helper. It's not supposed to be used by the average user. And it's free. The majority of registry cleaners are sold over the internet for $40 as a cure all for whatever ails your PC. They are aimed at hoodwinking the average user into believing that the registry needs regular cleaning when it doesn't. 

#10 clayto

clayto

• Members
  • 476 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 AM

Posted 27 September 2015 - 05:42 AM

TurboYourPC I have just encountered this cleaning tool -- there is a quite striking promotion of it going on, at  least in the UK, with extravagant claims about it speeding up your PC. Although I was sceptical as I know about the consensus among techies voiced in this thread, but I looked at the info out of curiosity and found the program downloading without my having clicked the download button! So before uninstalling I examined it and ran the 'free scan'. I admit I didfind it well presented and informative, but just as I expected it urged me to fix the registry and junk errors it found, for a payment. So it is being marketed just like so many other cleaning tools which I used to encounter, before I got the message about the wisdom of not using registry cleaners.

I do have some suites which include registry cleaners but the registry cleaning feature is an option which you do not have to use (so I don't) and they allow for backing up the registry before cleaning anyway.These seem to me to be  be two essential features.Examples are CCleaner and Glary Utilities. They have other useful functions for junk cleaning, system analysis, searching and much more. There are good free versions as well as the paid for versions.  

#11 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,552 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2015 - 08:18 AM

Unfortunately, many registry cleaners/editors hype themselves as Guardians of the Computer Universe.  Pay no heed at all to such programs Wizard of  OZ'ng behind the curtains.  Heed the advice of the BC techs here and you cannot go wrong!

The same advice goes for any and all programs that tout themselves as PC speed-uppers, PC-slimmer & trimmers, PC-overhauls & tune-ups, and the like.  Stay far away from such programs.

#12 spngbobis4me

spngbobis4me
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 389 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2015 - 04:40 PM

Thank you for all your advice. Defianatley increased my knowledge on this topic.

#13 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 AM

Posted 28 September 2015 - 01:07 AM

http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/windows-7-system-maintenance-tools/

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users