Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Preventing Someone From Using My Wireless Network

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jesst940

jesst940

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 PM

Posted 25 September 2015 - 01:40 PM

Hello'
    I have a Netgear 3400v3 router. I am certain that someone nearby is leaching off my wifi. The android # and MAC address shows on the Netgear console. Rather than have a verbal and possibly physical confrontation with these moochers ( I am just about certain who they are), I would like to block them from my resources with the Netgear router itself. 
I have consulted the Netgear console/dashboard online and cannot discover how to do this. I have read several advice postings with topics like third party software to going into command prompt. I am thoroughly confused.  At present I am trying to download the latest version of Netgear's firmware, hoping it would provide some help, but it seems to be stalled out at 43%. Can it really be that complicated? Is there something more simple I can do?  I have a monthly data allowance which was too quickly used up this month. Worse thing about it all is I KNOW these people and have asked them to stop freeloading. They (its a couple) think they are being crafty and I won't know I am being used. I have offered to up the data allowance if they would pay their share but they cannot seem to afford this despite obvious frivolous things I have observed them doing. 
Bleeping has always come to my rescue with life threatening (computer life) problems. I should always remember to come here first.
Thanks and Kind Regards

PS. Granddaughter has Phone and iPad which have been eliminated as the culprit.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 25 September 2015 - 02:45 PM.
split from http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/333091/how-to-find-someone-using-my-net/

jesst940 :flowers: 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 PM

Posted 25 September 2015 - 03:10 PM

Here is your manual

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/WNDR3400V3/WNDR3400v3_UM_8FEB2013.pdf

no firmware update required.  Page 79

Wireless Card Access List. Click the Set Up Access List button to display the Wireless Card Access List screen. On this screen, you can restrict access to your network to specific devices based on their MAC address.

#3 jesst940

jesst940
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2015 - 03:25 PM

Thank you Wand3r3r, I will definitely give that a go, soon's I have a minute. 

#4 jesst940

jesst940
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2015 - 05:06 PM

Hello Wand3r3r,

It took a bit but,I found those settings from the users manual. Got all the right numbers, MAC addresses etc from the desktop console and

filled them in online. I believe that solves the issue. Really appreciate the tip. I was in the right area, just didn't go far enough. This may be the quickest that I have gotten a problem solved on Bleeping, or anywhere. It wouldn't have taken all day if I'd come here first. Let that be a lesson to me  :hysterical:

Thanks again !

#5 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 PM

Posted 25 September 2015 - 05:51 PM

Glad to help.  Have a great weekend

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users